awesome RAM and Barebone deal

Preacher

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't believe in going from 2600 to 2700. Complete waste of money. There is a big difference between the 2700 and the 3200.

First of all, mhz doesn't mean as much as it used to. The 3200 is a barton core, meaning, it has more cache. As we all know, cache and a fast core are critical for gaming. How do I know this? Because I upgraded from a 2700 33mhz to a 3200 mhz 400 mhz cpu. Noticeable difference.

I don't do benchmarks, or anything time consuming. Instead, I play a game. If I see a difference, then its good enough for me.

That's cool DJ.

I'm just trying to give Fatty some other options if he doesn't want to fork out $125 to $150 for a cpu.

Honestly, I'm still quite satisfied with my OC'd Barton 2500+ that I built 2 years ago. It loads maps faster than this new 64bit system I put together. Other then that I've not noticed much difference in CS performance wise. I mainly built the 64bit system to do video editing(which I've not had the time to do). And now that I'm playing CAL matches I wanted a clean system to play on. So that's why I'm currently using it. Now when I start OC'ing the 64bit I may see a dramatic difference. Only time will tell.

I want the fastestest highestest number that i can put in my board. If it's 3200+ then I'm all over it!

I'm at 2.09 ghz right now. I love math. 2.1 doesn't look much better than 2.09. :-D

Lunk, thanks for the newegg linkage! Thanks DJ for the insight!

Are we doubley ubly sure this will go in my board?!??! If so, I'm buying.

Right, as I said, its listed there,but not in the cpu support table, that page doesnt show the range of cpu's supported, unless i missed it, if so, i apologize.

Ok here's his in the cpu support list. Same for both the P ver & the L ver.

GA-7VT600-L

And here's the links for the manual for his board.

Rev. 1 Manual

Rev. 2 Manual

Yes, it would appear that your board will support the 3200+ just fine. :wavey:

Oh....so I actually just read...I need to call gigabyte?

:unsure: For what?

The links I posted above should answer you question as to what cpu's your mobo can handle.

This what I get for being a traveling man. To much time on my hands to do stuff like this . :peace:

(edited)
You guys make it too hard.

I ordered the memory.

Someone wanna link me to the CPU I need on newegg?

NCC told me I couldn't upgrade to but like a 2700 or something just a tad over.  We sure about this?

http://www.buyaib.com/index.asp?PageAction...PROD&ProdID=561

They have 5 stars on pricewatch and I've had good luck here, but if you must have newegg here ya go: http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp...N82E16819103390

or

http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp...82E16819103390R

Edited by Preacher

1 is 30 less than 2, and 3 is refurbished but out of stock.

newegg isn't worth 30 bucks to me!

hey, uh that one site buyaib says to get "Thermaltake TR2 M3 - PN: A4004D " with it...how do I know if a fan fits this thing? I like the colored ones I see on newegg tho!

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests
(edited)
You guys make it too hard.

I ordered the memory.

Someone wanna link me to the CPU I need on newegg?

NCC told me I couldn't upgrade to but like a 2700 or something just a tad over.  We sure about this?

Doing that CPU upgrade would be a complete and utter waste of money. Do not spend any money on this system. Wait until you can get a new Athlon 64 system. You will see NO difference going from a 2600 to a 2700 at all. The difference going from a 2600 to a 3200 is so small that you would barely notice it and it would not be worth the money.

As for the price of that barebones sytem, that is after all the mail in rebates. I am sure it is quite high when you initially pay for it.

Edited by zerodamage .gc

(edited)

that fan is a socket A fan so it'll fit the cpu, as long as you have a bit of space above your cpu it should fit.

http://www.techtastic.ca/reviews/tr2-m3.html

Personally I'ld spend a bit more and get the Thermaltake 12 Extreme for socket A boards. Nothing else out there cools as good in the same price range.http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835106035

http://www.techtastic.ca/reviews2/volcano12.html

Also if you want to sell your 2600+ I might be willing to give a few bucks for it. I have a PC that has a bad CPU. Let me know :)

Edited by Preacher

I'll auction it off at FragFest!

So any socket A fan will fit the 3200+?

So, zd you say no difference, but DJ says

Because I upgraded from a 2700 33mhz to a 3200 mhz 400 mhz cpu. Noticeable difference.

The board is set. The cpus are moving.

I pretty much have the same settings as fatty before I upgraded.

I had a 2700xp, 1GB of ram, 6600GT

I used to get problems in cs_office, de_aztec, cs_italy and de_chateau. Low fps and very choppy, especially during nade attacks, window breaks, and bomb explosions. (italy's fruit market)

I now have a 3200xp, 1 GB of 400 mhz ram and a 6600GT and I no longer have any of the problems above.

To me, that's noticeable. When it goes from 25fps in italy to 40fps in the toughest situations, I'm happy.

Will Fatty get the same boost? I would imagine so since our specs are so similar. Honestly, I would have upgraded to an athlon64, but I'd have to spend another $350 on mobo and case. I have a silent music pc in the form of a shuttle xpc. It's not like I have a gigantic atx case.

Oh, great. Then I won't get a fan. I'm sure there's a fan on my cpu right now, tru. Thanks.

BTW, back to the memory for a second. I can't mix the memory it seems, as noboy has suggested to keep one of my old sticks to have 1.5? Not efficient to mix? Do things slow to my slowest speed of ram or something?

I will have a decent cpu and a gig of ram lying in wait if not.

You need to default back to the lowest speed ram. also, it gets worse, you'll lose dual channel capability. 1GB is fine in my opinion. If you really need that extra 512MB of ram (video editting, photoshop work, etc) then use it. The increase in ram for something like this would give you more in "overall" performance feel than the hit for going single channel and slower ram.

Well, from what you said about your in-game experience with FPS, I'm most likely going to be satisfied. I wonder if my other machine will take the ram. No clue what the specs/board etc on that are anymore, been so long. It's something that's been overclocked and running non-stop for several years tho.