I just read a review... Budget computing

SiX

If you’re looking for budget gaming system then start here for your graphics.

* AMD 3000+ $150

* nForce4 mobo $100

* 1gb value memory $100

* 6200 Turbo Cache $90

Total for core budget system: $440

basicaly this is pci-e with out the cost, ie the 6200...

What's the cheapest you can enter the PCI-e arena? Is this it? Without links I'm too lazy (though my boss is out today, he wouldn't know...) to look everything up myself.

Out of curiosity, I'd wonder what the price point is to enter the PCI-e / socket 939 AMD 64-bit arena, complete system from the ground up. Cheaper is better, but let's stick with decent parts (say, RAM CAS of 2.5 is acceptable) or justify a cheaper part by cost. I know several of y'all like to do this stuff, so if you're interested the system above inspired the budget-minded PCI-e w/ AMD64 question.

SiX
What about an extra $28 for a DFI Lanparty mobo?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16813136152

Also, what on earth is a Turbo Cache?

basicaly the turbochche is the cheepest pci-e card out there. but can give playable results in hl2 and doom 3

What's the cheapest you can enter the PCI-e arena?  Is this it?  Without links I'm too lazy (though my boss is out today, he wouldn't know...) to look everything up myself.

Out of curiosity, I'd wonder what the price point is to enter the PCI-e / socket 939 AMD 64-bit arena, complete system from the ground up.  Cheaper is better, but let's stick with decent parts (say, RAM CAS of 2.5 is acceptable) or justify a cheaper part by cost.  I know several of y'all like to do this stuff, so if you're interested the system above inspired the budget-minded PCI-e w/ AMD64 question.

i will see what i can come up with, i will be right back :cool:

SiX
(edited)

i know you said a64, but there are 939 semprons out there, if your looking for budget, whats your primary focus on this system, making one thing faster over the others is easy to do, i would put money into video, or hd and upgrade the rest later..

n/m no 939 semprons out there....

Edited by SiX

You have that URL linking to your current wish list, Six. So unless you want to give us your login id/password, you'll have to either make a list of the parts (links would be nice) or take a screenshot.

One mildly entertaining side note: if you go to PCs & Notebooks and select "Desktop PC", the price on the second computer is "$1009.99 - $90.00 rebate = $999.99"

...since when does 1009.99 - 90.00 = 999.99? I think they got caught up with all the 9's. :P

SiX

Rosewill R214P Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case Optional Power Supply - Retail $22

DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard - OEM $128

eVGA 016-TC-1N01-SX Geforce 6200TC 16MB (supporting 128MB) DDR PCI-Express x16 Video Card - Retail $59

XCLIO XClio 400BL ATX 400W Power Supply - Retail $49.99

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Winchester Integrated into Chip FSB Socket 939 Processor Model ADA3000BIBOX - Retail $147

OCZ Premier Value 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 333 (PC 2700) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model OCZ3331024VDC-K - Retail $77.39

Western Digital Caviar SE WD800JD 80GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM 59.00

Logitech Cordless Desktop MX3100 967513-0403 2-Tone PS/2 Wireless Standard Keyboard Mouse Included - Retail 113.98

NEC Display Solutions LCD52V-BK Black 15" 25ms LCD Monitor - Retail 185.99

LITE-ON OHW-1653S BGE OEM Beige IDE DVD Burner - OEM $44.99

totoal $885.34 with monitor, with out it's $699.35

That's awesome!

I'm a little confused on the videocard part, though.

:unsure: What does "supporting 128MB" mean? Is there another 128MB video card that you forgot to put in the list? Or is this a "bare minimum" videocard?

Wow, that was fast! I'll have to give it a look over later. I'll be away from my computer for awhile, but it looks really good right now. You were right, a Sempron would have worked...I'd theoretically like to enter the 64-bit arena at some point. Too bad there are no 939s.

I like the setup. If it were me, I think I'd eat the cost and up the memory to DDR400 and the monitor to a 17" LCD. I was curious on a whole comp spec, but I'd likely reuse my keyboard and mouse I currently have (old PS/2 keyboard that still works great and a MX510 I have an unhealthy obsession with), but it looks like a decent system. Too bad I don't have the money to go throwing at new systems, but at least I have an idea of what I'll be getting into now when I do decide to pitch it to the wife :)

I like the video card, too. The performance results look like what I'd expect for what it costs, which is sufficient for the level of gaming I do. The system will scale well with hardware, too.

If I put a price tag of $1000, dropped the keyboard & mouse, upped the RAM to DDR400ish, monitor to 17"...I might even have enough to up the vid card a little. Sound right?

SiX

yeah, I'm perty good at the computer bit, figuring out whats da best systems for price, that video card does perty good, the next card up would be a 6600gt

get the 32mb turbocache not the 16 or 64 mb one if you're gonna buy now.

see here

you can also read the rest of the review. i just linked to the most relevant page. the beginning of the review explains what all this means.

based on that article i'd wait for the bigger x300 as they suggest.

Hehe, don't worry about me buying a computer any time in the immediate future...but you never know what lies down the road, so I like to keep in touch with what's cheap...as that's what I can afford :) The X300 should...likely...be out when I'm ready to upgrade.

Of course, again, it all depends on the almighty $...