PDA

I'm looking for a good all-round PDA for mainly scheduling and planning. I don't need anything too too fancy, just something with a good interface and good reliability. Has anyone had any good or bad experiences with any in particular?

I have 2 Dell Axims an X5 and an X3i, they're awesome, cheap when compared to their competitors and they pack some impressive hardware. I love them both, the X3i has intergrated wireless, I had to get a wireless compact flash card for the X5 but I think I like it better, mostly because it's easier to play nintendo games on haha.

X5 specs

400MHz 64MB Compact flash and secure digital slot, which i like better than the x3i since it only has secure digital... anyway hope it helps.

Here are the new ones from dell, still cheap.

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/c...s=19&l=en&s=dhs

PS, as I was typing this I bought another X5 off ebay for 60$

If you're just looking for schedules, contacts and such I think one like Preacher linked would do very well and would be very cheap. Heck, you can probably find one in a local retailer (though I'd read up on reviews first).

If you're willing to go a little "uptown", I'm with StrangeFamous: Dell Axims rule. I've played with some HPs and some Dells, and seen a few of the other brands of Windows Mobile platforms, and I like the Dells the best. I had a really old HP for awhile, and I currently use an Axim X3i...Got it for $200 on eBay used, with a 256 MB card and some goodies, about a year ago (9 months maybe?). They recently came out with a ROM update that fixes the one little glitch mine had that annoyed me with the wireless, and now the whole thing runs significantly better...an added plus. In addition, Windows Mobile rules. Lots of fun stuff to download, including a port of DOSBox (and even Bochs for the Linux hardcores out there) that runs very well (though I wouldn't recommend XCom: UFO Defense, it runs too slow, and Pocket UFO isn't as good as the original btw). Lots of fun to be had, especially with a wireless model.

The only thing I would caution: If you're going to move into the Windows Mobile arena, especially if you look for new units, spend the extra few bucks to get an X30 wireless, because it has the Windows Mobile 2003 SE update, which apparently runs faster than 2003 as I've read and lets you re-orient the screen to landscape, etc. If you want to browse the web or read .pdfs on the go, which would be a big reason to move up to a Windows Mobile machine instead of a simple organizer, the screen rotation is a BIG plus. There are programs like Nyditot (sp) that will do it with WM 2003 and earlier, but they're shareware and run $15-$25 to register...Not worth it.

This link to eBay should work, that's how I found mine. It'll let you see pricing for new vs. used by model:

http://search.ebay.com/dell-axim_Handheld-...Z1QQsacatZ38331

And of course, there's always the mac-daddy X50v, with a VGA resolution screen and a hefty ARM muprocessor. When I get a few extra dollars burning a hole in my pocket I think I'm going to opt up for one of those and put my X3i on eBay. But I digress.

An Axim X5 or an X3 should be had for pretty cheap, an X3i or an X5 with a wireless SD card thrown in shouldn't be too much more, especially if you're willing to go the used route, and I know the X3 and X3i (i indicates internet btw) have an excellent ROM update. Axims are also cheaper than the competition comparably. If you were feature-oriented, that might matter: iirc HP, for example, has a VGA model with USB host. But you said you didn't want anything fancy, so that shouldn't be an issue. What Axims do, they do very well.

I just bought a Dell Axim X50 a few months back, and it's been great. I bought it mainly as a GPS unit (coupled with the HP Bluetooth GPS device). I don't know how I lived without a GPS before.

The PDA occassionally locks up (I ran the Dell update utility on it already) -- I use it for about an hour a day every day, and it locks up maybe once a week or two. It might be because Windows Mobile 2003 has compatibility issues with software designed for earlier operating systems, so it can be touchy with older software. I haven't seen any problems with the Windows Mobile 2003-designed software.

All in all, the Dell Axim X50 exceeded my expectations for the price. The compatibility issues are a bummer, but it's more of an annoyance than anything.

Mmmm, X50...I'd like the setup you have, actually. That's ideally what I want, with the GPS. I haven't had compatibility issues with mine fortunately, but DOSBox does like to crash on occasion, requiring a soft reset. Of course, one button on the back, it's done, no data loss is pretty nice, but yeah, merely an annoyance.

We have a PDA at the office with ArcPad on it, basically like mapping software except you have to put together your own maps (images, roads, etc.) but then you can edit them on the fly. Granted, we don't really do much editing on the fly (on a PDA? That's a little bit of a pain) but we use it for field work a lot to collect sample points, check datasets, and we can load all our data in...They have a GPS unit to go with it, too, it's really cool. I think I'm going to get a Bluetooth GPS for myself at some indeterminant point in the future for when I upgrade Axims.

I agree with everyone else on the Dell bit. I have an X3 and have never had any issues with it...

Except for when my girlfriend wants to play the bubble game or whatever it is. She loves it.

But Dell will give you the best hardware for your money. I had a Compaq 37XX (before they were bought by HP) and loved it until I left it on the roof of my car and drove off. The new HPs are very pricey, and I would suggest a Dell for anyone. Best bang for the buck.

I agree with everyone else on the Dell bit.  I have an X3 and have never had any issues with it...

Except for when my girlfriend wants to play the bubble game or whatever it is.  She loves it.

JAWBREAKER!! I'm hooked on it too. Curse that game. And my girlfriend is also hooked on it (and she's better at it than me, which is frustrating in itself).

One other note about the GPS -- a guy at work had a Pharos bluetooth GPS, and he said that would lock up rather frequently with his Dell Axim. The HP version seems to be more solid (but not perfect -- it isn't designed for WM 2003). Just an FYI if any of you are thinking about getting a Bluetooth GPS unit.

Thanks for the responses guys! Another quick question: What's the difference between palmOne products and all the pocket PC's that actual computer manufacturing comapnies are releasing (Dell, HP etc.). Do the Dell ones use the Graffitti thing for writing? Also, what's the difference between the Windows Mobile OS and the Palm one? I've been looking around CNET and other sites and it looks like the Palm Tungsten E2 is pretty good for the price. Any thoughts?

Didn't really read everything above, as it's beyond what I know about. But can say this:

I had a Palm V for just over 5 years before having any trouble with it (where you tapped on the screen wasn't always where it would register when it started to go out). It was bought in October 1999 for $300. To replace it, I got the Palm Tungsten E ($200) just because I was so happy with the durability of the Palm V. I use it a lot in handling my schedule. I'm not always the gentlest in handling them. Also, the Palm software is great IMO.