Need help

werD

Ok i have dsl for this computer and i have an external dsl modem (i use i think SNET DSL)

i have my own computer down in the basement (my room) that i would also like to hook up to dsl

am i able to do this with some wireless router?

how much would this cost?

thx in advance! :crazy:

you need a wireless router and a wireless nic.

Install the DSL into the Router and the workstations into the Router.

Go to your wireless routers IP/

Linksys - 192.168.1.1(default)

D-link - 192.168.0.1(default)

and set up your DSL connection there.

Install your wireless NIC and the software that came with it and your ready to go.

Wireless router - 50 bucks

Wirless NIC - 25? bucks

is wiring an option? it's messy, but i've heard too many complaints about packet loss in mission critical applications.

in other words, all those obstacles between your wireless card and your wireless router stand to interefere with your transfer. lag spikes are common in gaming, and big data transfers (say copying your roomies mp3 directory) will usually error out.

some people that spend the extra bucks on a super-g or the super dope router may have better luck, but i'd still rather trip over wire at 3am than loose one stinking packet.

if you do decide to wire:

100ft cat5 network cable

linksys wrt54g router

intel 10/100/1000mbit network cards

hmm i was just thinking of using it for the internet

how much to good "gaming" ones cost? and would the people at like circut city know all this stuff

:peace: thanks fo the help!

http://games.dlink.com/products/?pid=370 dlink wants about $160 for that router. it's super g, then some. get this if money isn't an issue.

http://www.dlinkshop.com/product.asp?sku=2275503 is the next option below that. probably a better choice @ $79 if you're on a budget.

berg is right. when it comes to gaming, don't even consider 802.11b routers--only look at 802.11g and 802.11g+.

once you get it, if you have any questions on how to configure it, feel free to leave them here. you should consider securing it, whether it's wep (encryption), mac filter (allowing only specificied network cards), or disabling the ssid broadcast.

(edited)

http://store.yahoo.com/justdeals/wg311nar.html

http://store.yahoo.com/justdeals/wgr614na.html

I own these and both work great. I suggest you set the router up at your other PC and then use the wired port to hook it up. You will not notice anything different except that the PC is already logged on when you turn on the PC. Then get the wireless card for yourself and it should be an easy set-up. (just follow directions) And of course, you can always come here if you are having issues and we'll give you suggestions.

FYI every wireless connection I have worked with will periodically lose signal, even when right next to the router. Just right click on the icon and click repair and it'll jump back on again. Gaming will be like direct connect unless it kicks out then do the repair. Also get a program like Getright or some other download manager to avoid losing your info during a long download and then if signal loss occurs you can just resume where it left off.

If you don't like netgear (I love it) let me know and I'll find ya some cheap Linksys or D-Link stuff.

Edited by Preacher

i dont have much experience with gaming on my wireless G router. Get a D-link and you should be ok with gaming, but its just wireless in generel. Im sitting right here beside my wireless router looking at netstumbler and occasionally there is a split loss of signal

hmmm now the decision weather i want gaming or just access to the internet

prolly just go with a basic model that will allow for music downloading and net surfing since i dont really need it for games

thx guys!