Evil People....

YoMamma

Fatty (and others), ya beat me to it. Things can be replaced. People can't. This cannot be stressed enough, so that's why I'm not adding anything constructive to this post but harping on what's already been said. Also, even if the encounter went well, any fight risks getting hurt, possibly seriously, and hopsital bills can easily pile up higher than your auto insurance deductibles, so unless you have awesome health insurance it's just risking a higher cost and your life against your stereo and awesome CD collection. Nothing is worth that. Someone who's willing to commit criminal activity most likely has far less to lose than you do, and that's a big motivating factor in violence escalation. Whudats has it right --

It's easy to have confidence in your ability to "take someone down," especially when you've had military and/or martial arts training. But ... know this: there is always someone out there with a bigger knife, with a gun, with more friends, or someone who is more willing to pull the trigger and lose it all than you are.

Training, size, a bigger weapon does not make someone invincible. Please be careful.

With all due respect, Fatty, I stole (or perhaps molded) his point that training does not make you invincible because your opponent may have less, if not nothing, to lose. That's very important not to gloss over. I've also got stupidity stories, and seen overconfidence cause very bad things (and I'm sure I'm not alone). It's not just the ability to kick someone else's p'tootie, but the the consequences that follow. All the knife training in the world won't help you if someone shoots you. All the gun disarm training in the world won't help you if they're not where they need to be and they're willing to pull the trigger or even if they just get lucky. Et cetera, et cetera.

Apologies, though, to Whudats if you feel otherwise...I cut the part I liked pretty quick, and now realize you may totally disagree. That wasn't intentional.

Edited by appalachian_fox

Because my parents think negatively and feel its my fault that I went out this late. Thing is, Im always out this late. My GF was mad because i should have been seeing her tonight rather then buying a gift for my friend....

Yup...thats the real world.

Had both my car and my wifes car broken into one night while they sat in our appartment parking lot...stole my stereo...trashed my wifes dash cause the stereo wouldn't come out. We moved a week later.

Really leaves you feeling violated and really makes me angry. Guess thats why I have such a low tolerance for theft.

Fatb, I've been dating my GF for 2 years now and she has become so attached to me that if I'm spending time with anyone else but her she gets upset. It's irritating, but I love her...

LOL get used to it man... My wife moved here from Indiana (she grew up on a pig farm, so my normal bad body smells have no effect on her) So she didnt have any friends when I hit her on the head and took her back to my place.. This is our 11'th yr together and she hasnt made any new friends other than my cousins wife. In that time I have lost all my friends except Gond and one other, (lol some are in jail)... Holly is my best friend now and she loves her pit in the basement..

But I always felt that its better to have someone who's too stuck on you than not stuck enough...

That's what I'd say...Of course, I have a biased opinion when it comes to speeding.

I dont blame you. Speeding can lead to some bad things and its just better to do the speed limit, but the reason I got a radar detector in the 1st place was because of a BS speeding ticket I got. I was going 45 (10 over), but the 45 Speed Limit sign was in plain view in front of me. By the time the police officer turned his lights on I was already in the 45 zone...

I was told that if you could see the sign in front of you, then you can go that speed. Thats not true. Its when you PASS the sign, you can go that speed.

Politicians and, more importantly, cops make and interpret the laws. I got a parking ticket for parking 10 feet behind the "no parking" sign and area of curb that it was marking off. If you can see that speed limit sign, you should be going that speed or accelerating to the posted speed. I live in "We have nothing better to do than pull you over" ville. We have a road that the speed limit changes from 45-30 for no good reason other than it is right in front of what used to be the police station. We also have roads that the speed limit changes more times in 5 miles than I change my underwear in week. :freak:

As far as the radar detector is concerned, I wouldn't spend the money on another. 9 times out of 10, by the time it is going off, you are either caught or will be caught before you can slow down to the speed limit. Keep your eyes open, and remember where radar is setup on your normal routes. My best advice. And watch your rear view mirror when going 95 mph o0o:bang:

Sorry, Mamma. That's a bum rap. Of course, I would have to ask you a question that can rationalize the purchase of another radar detector: If you were in that same situation, and you didn't know how the cop would interpret the law, would you have slowed down if you knew the cop was there? Sure, you never know until it happens, but what's the most likely answer. I know myself, if I thought I was obeying the law, I wouldn't have slowed down if I knew there was a cop there.

If you feel the way I do, I wouldn't spend the money...the knowledge that an officer is present doesn't really mean all that much. If you would answer differently, or say that it would make a difference on other occasions, then you might consider it.

That could be one good benchmark to start with. If you're speeding regularly, and it has saved you a ticket or two, maybe the cost is justified by the savings in tickets. If you "broke the law" when you thought you were "obeying the law", I doubt a radar detector is worth the money.

My $.04