BF2 - Now available in stores

Brew Swillas

Well after calling all the gamestops here in the Dayton area yesterday, I had to wait out another night. I was finally able to pickup my pre-ordered copy today around noon. Still sitting here at work is torment as I have my copy staring at me on top of my CRT. Oh well...not too much longer now... :bang:

Soooooo...who has it? have you found any servers where teamwork is really clicking? I found a few for the demo that were good.

I would love to get together with anyone interested and create a squad. I would imagine it could make for some good gameplay as the GC servers for CSS always has some pretty good coordination. Man....I haven't even played CS since 6/10. I feel like I am missing something...like I forgot my wallet. :erm:

1 hour left till I am outta here and fraging away!!! Hope to see some of you around!

I'm having trouble finding it in the Phoenix area. I found one store that had but they couldn't get the game to scan. It sucks having a dude holding the game right in front of you and not being able to buy it! :bang:

Brew - I'm interested in joining a squad. If you find a good server give me a heads up.

I've received my copy on Tuesday - preordered and delivered through EB Games (free 3-Day shipping but got it the next day!). :D

I didn't have any problems with the demo, but I've had some problems connecting to the online stuff with the full game - BFHQ most notably. I had to restart 3 times because it kept hanging...

But once I got in, it was very cool. Very few ranked servers with both good pings and open slots, though. I had to keep trying to get into some good ones...

I really like the game. I still have absolutely no idea how to fly a helicopter. It is rather funny watching myself wobble all over and then crash. I s'pose it makes me hard to hit...

:shrug03:

Shep, this game is sweet. It's a completely different game than CS:S, except for the need for teamplay. I like how yo ucan take a little more damage before dying, and there are so many other things you have to consider when moving around the map....so many different ways to die... :=

You'll find some bozos online, though (true for any non-GC server, I suppose). I was playing as the commander of our side on a 16 player map, and we were mopping up the USMC team map after map. Well, I guess someone didn't like that too much, so they kicked me from the server. My use of arty was too much for them to handle, I suppose. :wiggle2:

But yeah, Shep, you should check it out. If you haven't played the demo, try that first. You will get a pretty good idea of the game, and how your system can handle it, by playing the demo.

I agree, the demo is something you should try before getting the game retail. It gives a really good feel for what gameplay is like. I have been having a blast playing this for almost a week now.

There are some pro/cons I have run into.

Cons:

People not forgiving accidental tk's. Being punished for others mistakes can get frustrating. For instance - placing mines around the entrance to a flag when you know enemies are on the way in. Nubguy on my team hops into a jeep and then blows himself up on my mines - even though the mines are clearly marked and I have given my team warning. Arrrrghhh. I get punished for his mistake...

Ranked servers. To gain rank ingame and to unlock weapons requires you to play on ranked servers. These servers are not only laggy (for the most part) but if you find a good one it is next to impossible to get into. This makes finding a good server to play on a hassle. It requires a good 10 minutes of looking and then loading the map. (load times are also lenghty)

The game browser is AWFUL. Patches will be realeased to fix this ASAP.

It also requires a decent rig to play smoothly on. Geforce 4 cards are not supported. I can play decently on a P4E 2.8 with a 6600GT(AGP). 1024x768 at mostly medium details. FPS can dip into 30's when in a big firefight.

Pros:

When you get into a squad and everything is clicking it is just fantastic gameplay. Medics reviving/healing infantry, repairs being made, ammo being dropped, artillary barrages into key map points. There is not a game I can think of that requires so much teamwork between squads and commander alike. The best time I have had was on a British server and EVERYONE was working together. Though it was hard to understand them at times with some having such thick English accents. Was WAY fun!!

I think the community that will evolve around BF2 will be something to see. Mods will come out and new maps made. Ladders will be born and leagues will thrive. Should be fun to see. :D

The game has a lot of promise. My initial thoughts are that they have done a decent job with balance. This isn't like the Battlefield Vietnam game where you had a server full of marines with the m60/bazooka combo (bleh). All the classes seem to have their ups and downs, and the sides seem well balanced with vehicles too. It will take time to see if any maps are broken, they look pretty good so far.

Choppers are good fun, but much different than in Desert Combat. Easier to fly, but that ease took out the ability to do some of the more trick manuevers as well.

Jets are okay, but just not my style with this game. They're very fast and the maps seem a little small to really make them fun.

The commander position is pretty slick. It really lends itself to teamplay. The fact that you can also squad up is also awesome. This game is definitely a clanner's game. Matches should be a team player's paradise for sure.

As for the gameplay itself, I'd say it's good, but not great. I'd like to see the first patch released as well as the 5.7 catalyst drivers for ATI before really commenting on the gameplay. A lot of the servers with decent pings still play buggy, which makes me question if they need to tighten that up in an early patch. The graphics are nice, but nVidia's close work with the game means ATI cards are behind the curve on performance. I've heard the brand new Omega Drivers for the ATI cards give a tremendous performance boost to the game, but I prefer to stay with the catalyst drivers.

All in all, a lot of fun with tremendous potential as the game patches itself, the video drivers get updated, and the community learns the finer points of teamplay.