Help: Will this laptop run CS:S?

whudats

Intel® Pentium® M Processor 730 (1.60 GHz/2MB Cache/533MHz FSB

Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition

17 inch UltraSharpâ„¢ Wide Screen XGA+ Display

256MB DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz 1 Dimm (will upgrade to 1 GB in 2 DIMM)

256MB NVIDA® GeForce™ Go 6800

40GB Hard Drive

Integrated 10/100 Network Card and Modem

24X CD Burner/DVD Combo Drive

Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200 Internal Wireless (802.11 b/g, 54Mbps)

Will this laptop run CS:S? How about BF2?

Thanks guys. I'm not real up to speed on laptop capabilities. If I buy this one, it will be the first I've owned...

:blink:

Intel® Pentium® M Processor 730 (1.60 GHz/2MB Cache/533MHz FSB

Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition

17 inch UltraSharpâ„¢ Wide Screen XGA+ Display

256MB DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz 1 Dimm (will upgrade to 1 GB in 2 DIMM)

256MB NVIDA® GeForce™ Go 6800

40GB Hard Drive

Integrated 10/100 Network Card and Modem

24X CD Burner/DVD Combo Drive

Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200 Internal Wireless (802.11 b/g, 54Mbps)

Will this laptop run CS:S?  How about BF2?

Thanks guys.  I'm not real up to speed on laptop capabilities.  If I buy this one, it will be the first I've owned...

:blink:

Your laptop seems similar to mine. I have a ATI X300 and it runs CS, and HL2 very well. I have a Dell 6100d

Whu, that'll play it rather well as far as laptops go, once you up the RAM.

Not a bad choice, and the Pentium M is actually a stronger processor than the Pentium IV, so you'll get a little bit more out of that 1.6, as far as running one single program (IE: CS:S).

Your laptop seems similar to mine.  I have a ATI X300 and it runs CS, and HL2 very well.  I have a Dell 6100d

there's nothing similar between an x300 and a 6800. they're in different universes.

just get 512 or a gig of ram and that laptop will play source quite nicely.

you cant get a gig of ram unless you sell that 256 and drop in one single gig or two 512's. I have never seen a 768 stick :P , but if you drop a 512 in with that 256, it should be plenty.

you cant get a gig of ram unless you sell that 256 and drop in one single gig or two 512's.  I have never seen a 768 stick :P , but if you drop a 512 in with that 256, it should be plenty.

the upgrade I suggested was to add an additional 512mb chip- it by no means maxes the system out but it saves the problem of the extra 256mb chip

the upgrade I suggested was to add an additional 512mb chip- it by no means maxes the system out but it saves the problem of the extra 256mb chip

yes but why start with a 256mb stick? laptops only have two ram slots so if you add 512 then you're at 768. if you want a gig you then have an extra 256mb stick sitting around.

yes but why start with a 256mb stick?  laptops only have two ram slots so if you add 512 then you're at 768.  if you want a gig you then have an extra 256mb stick sitting around.

because more than likely he is purchasing from a retailer that doesn't configure them themselves (they might) if they do then getting it with a GB of RAM at the start would save time, money and make a better PC

Yeah, but Whu has already accounted for the fact that he is upgrading from 256 in 1 to 512 in 2.

He also knows that they are DIMMs, so I'm assuming that his knowledge also stretches to cover the fact that he's aware of the unlikelihood of finding a 768MB stick of ESODIMM RAM.

Wether he sticks with an extra 512MB in the second slot, or chooses to remove the 256MB stick, to pave the way for a second 512MB is a call that I'm sure he's capable of making, and kinda leads into moot territory. We all agree that the x300 and the 6800Go are in completely different games, let alone leagues. And we should, and have, all agreed that 256MB just doesn't cut the mustard with a videocard like that.

Personally, if I were in that position, Whu, I'd check to see if you can get the same model custom fit with the 1GB to begin with. If not, I'd go whole hog on the RAM, and just give the other DIMM to the tech who did the upgrade, or to another laptop toting friend who only had a 512 in one DIMM. ...but I'm a little decadent like that. I'm sure you're capable of making this call on your own.

Thanks fellas. I love to read your tech guys discussions. I always learn something...

I've never done any kind laptop maintenance or modification before, but I've rebuilt my desktop (several times) completely and am assuming it isn't too hard to install RAM on laptops. I will probably just order the lappy with the 256 mb RAM and get some after market RAM from Newegg or Crucial.

To order the laptop with the 1 GB upgrade (512 x 2 DIMM) is another $200, but to order 1 GB (1 DIMM) from Crucial is only $130. I'm assuming it's worth $70 to do it myself...? Plus I'll have the 256 MB stick to give to my brother or someone else who might need it.

On laptops, is it better to have 512m x 2 or 1g x 1, taking into account the dual channel capabilities?

On laptops, is it better to have 512m x 2 or 1g x 1, taking into account the dual channel capabilities?

afaik, pentium m laptops don't support dual channel. do you have a link for your purchase? if it is dual channel then you'll need 2 dimms.

Well... I meant similar except for the graphics card.

:P

• 2 weeks later...

Just to update you guys: Installed the 1 GB stick so now I have 1.25 gb RAM. It runs Source great, and haven't had any major issues with BF2, Pirates!, etc... I'm all set now, just need to see if I will have high speed access where they are sending me...

As always, thanks for the help!