My comp does not like our servers...

Brillow_Head

I've tried doing all kinds of adjusting on my cl_updaterate and I can't seem to make any headway in the choke. I currently am running an updaterate of 20 and a cmdrate of 60.

I don't seem to have any problem at all with loss fortunately. Just my choke. As fatty mentioned some of us are getting drops on this 1 server in the chicago area.

(edited)

I'm running mad crazy pings from my command prompt to 2 places...

1) #1 <---the server. I pinged 600 packets of 900bytes it returned 597 with 3 timeouts and 3 super high ping times...so that makes a loss of what 0.5%. NOTE: I"ll run this multiple times and save to a txt file for later linkie.

2) the chicago level 3 gateway where we seem to have the droputs in the tracert. Also will be logged for later linkie. Well, 204.244.8.9 gave no timeouts but 3 >500ms pings.

After running tracert multiple times on #1 I find that I route through 2 different IP's for Chicago Level 3, 204.244.8.9 and 204.244.8.13. Both timeout regulaly on tracerts.

7 61 ms 29 ms 43 ms so-2-1-0.bbr2.Chicago1.Level3.net [209.244.8.13]

7 32 ms 30 ms 55 ms so-2-1-0.bbr1.Chicago1.Level3.net [209.244.8.9]

7 * * 31 ms so-2-1-0.bbr1.Chicago1.Level3.net [209.244.8.9]

7 66 ms 34 ms 33 ms so-2-1-0.bbr2.Chicago1.Level3.net [209.244.8.13]

7 55 ms * * so-2-1-0.bbr1.Chicago1.Level3.net [209.244.8.9]

7 * 29 ms * so-2-1-0.bbr2.Chicago1.Level3.net [209.244.8.13]

7 31 ms 50 ms 33 ms so-2-1-0.bbr1.Chicago1.Level3.net [209.244.8.9]

7 31 ms 40 ms 39 ms so-2-1-0.bbr2.Chicago1.Level3.net [209.244.8.13]

7 32 ms * * so-2-1-0.bbr2.Chicago1.Level3.net [209.244.8.13]

7 44 ms * 47 ms so-2-1-0.bbr2.Chicago1.Level3.net [209.244.8.13]

etc, etc

Edited by Brillow_Head

My lands that's alotta loss. Doesn't it seem strange that you're getting 4% loss right out of your computer?

Post up the same plot, etc, to the other server you spoke of, the fun house thing...and do us a favor and reduce that pic so it doesn't stretch the screen, makes reading posts hard (for us that don't have the width set to a gazillion).

I checked on my cable modem's signal strength and transmit power. Signal strength is fine but the technician said my transmit is running at 60dB where it's supose to be in the mid 50's.

Now I'm not 100% on this but a decible is basically the ratio of the output voltage vs the input volate (or signal if you will). The cable modem is only capable of sending signal at a certain amplitude and with the normal ammount of noise on the line then the nominal Vout/Vin is aprox 50-some dB. If I was getting 60-some dB this means there is more noise on my transmitted packet.

Also, the tech told me the guy who installed the internet at my appartment is an idiot. For 7 appartments they used one dropline, ran it through a 4-way splitter. From one of those lines it is run to a 2 way splitter and I get one of those lines. He said they needed to run at least one more dropline to the apparment. This wont happen soon, but it will happen. I'm also going to tear apart my wall outlet cause it's basically a hole in the side of my wall where the cable runs in from outside. I think the gender-bender on the end of the cable is corroded. I wiggle my cable and my packet loss jumps to about 40% and then stablizes.

Together I think this is most of the loss I am seeing from my computer. This does not explain the huge losses I get on lvl3 unless the system they use is old enough that any muddy packet is junktified.

I'll have Ice_berg d/l ping plotter and run the same plot.

• 2 weeks later...

Note from the UT side - even though I won't have the time to contribute or help much over the next few weeks

That so-2-1-0.bb1.Chicago.Level3 router?

I get the same thing and have been for the last few weeks and it is likely responsible in no small part to my packet loss on Nepenthe

I ping perfectly fine to it but it has packet loss at least once a minute minimum.

I also have the same 4.68.127.165 jump into that level three router - perhaps our real culprit lies there - though that address is also a level 3 domain (no clue why it has no name though)

I'll go back to sweating now...

-Fk

(edited)

If you notice there is loss at the final hop now...this is showing up on my net_Graph as loss between 2-10 constant. This is new, it was not happening before I left for FF05. Others have noticed the loss as well.

Edited by Brillow_Head