My comp does not like our servers...

Brillow_Head

I'm sorry, I've comminted a crime...I...pubbed last night on a different server. :boo:

I had never, ever, done such a thing since I joined GC. I felt very dirty and I quickly realized that I hated the environments others play under. But lets get down to the nitty-gritty.

I played on the jedi fun server something something. I could find it again if I tried. It had relatively the same ping as #1 and #2 with 27 player slots (reserves I'm thinking). It had maini loaded on it and some dumb custom sounds, swear filter, ff was off but oh well.

For the first time in my CSS career I found out what it felt like to play on a server that did not give me choke nor loss. I could shove my rate into the millions, max both cl_cmdrate and cl_updaterate and neither number budged off 0 (in our servers my loss fux 0-5 and my choke regularly hits 50+ no mater what my settings). And here was the most joyous part...and I know fatty wont like this...my bullet registry was unlike anything I've experienced before. I was mowing down people left and right. I wish I would have taken a screen shot...I actually broke 40 kills as a CT in office!! a brillow first.

I've come to the conclusion that my connection does not like our Chicago based servers, what is happening I dont know, but it's been happening since day one. What is the point of this post...I would like help determining what is wrong with my connection and how to fix it.

Knowing myself I'm a diehard GC fan...but I may find myself drifting from time to time to pub servers just to play at my full potential.

I use Mediacom as my ISP

I have an advertised 6mbit/s down and 256kbit/s upload with a QoS between 87-90%. I regularly get 3.5-4.3 Mbit/s down and 250-270kbit/s upload.

I have a tracert of my hops to #1 on this forum topic. My hops to #2 and #3 (which suprises me) are almost identical.

Can you guys help me out....pawwwweeeeaaaaassssss :lol2::halo::hug::hug::luxhello:

Edited by Brillow_Head

lets not forget the caliber of competition might not have been up to par

Not as good as some of our CAL level regulars but a fair mix of tallent all around. The numbers of the choke and loss aren't biased by player skill however...if nothing else I'd like to eliminate this problem. I can live with sub par hit registry...been doing that for a while anway.

Yeah you were pwning noobs who stood still too long...your shots don't register because we're all too dodgy...but seriously this happens to me too, I just don't go outside so I don't know what I'm missing...

(edited)

I'd apreciate it if you guys would try to help instead of critisize. I'm being serious here :(

To be more clear on the matter. In a large firefight on our servers I shoot into a large crowd of 4 or more players I'd usually get 1 or 2 hits after half a clip, or dying. In this server I'd empty half a clip and get about 4 hits per player on 3 or more players...just an average mind you. Again, I wish I would have taken screenshots.

Put the registry thing aside for now and lets work on the choke and loss.

Edited by Brillow_Head

Give me the IP of the server.

How many players?

Same thing I said to Bear: give me an ip of a 24 player server that shows no choke and I'll definitely look into it.

And aside from all this....I honestly find myself doing wonderfully when I play in a server full of nobody I know...cause i just play.

Server IP 146.82.151.81

28 player slots

Looks like its based out of Arizona. I live east river South Dakota...much much closer to our Chicago serves then this one.

At the time of my post it's empty, however it's an over flowserver for 146.82.151.80 which has 46 player slots and currently has 36 players in it. When I was on both servers were maxed at 46 and around 26-28 players. It went down as low as 18 around 5 a.m.

Looks like a solid server, although my choke stayed around 20 until almost everyone is dead each round. So many people also make the average ping go up. I'd be interested to see how it performs when both servers on that box (assuming same box from IPs) are full:

post-3-1121050687_thumb.jpgpost-3-1121050710_thumb.jpgpost-3-1121050723_thumb.jpg

(edited)

I was only on Jedi #2 and pings were about half of what you found on jedi #1...I didn't play on that one so I couldn't say for sure.

Looks like your trace route goes through Chicago, but I don't think the server is there. This is my tracert to:

Tracing route to 146-82-151-81.il.atlasservers.com [146.82.151.81]

over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 8 ms 19 ms 8 ms 10.18.168.1

2 10 ms 11 ms 27 ms 12-215-17-193.client.mchsi.com [12.215.17.193]

3 20 ms 22 ms 18 ms 12-215-2-138.client.mchsi.com [12.215.2.138]

4 29 ms 30 ms 69 ms tbr1-p012701.cgcil.ip.att.net [12.122.2.222]

5 29 ms 31 ms 37 ms ggr2-p300.cgcil.ip.att.net [12.123.6.33]

6 44 ms 29 ms 37 ms att-gw.chi.gblx.net [192.205.32.126]

7 30 ms 30 ms 28 ms so7-0-0-2488M.ar3.CHI1.gblx.net [67.17.72.130]

8 29 ms 31 ms 28 ms 146-82-151-81.il.atlasservers.com [146.82.151.81]

Trace complete.

Notice that I dont use any of the Chicago level routing that you do. Wonder if that has something to do with it. I checked the whois database for that IP and it said it was in Pheonix Az, but that could be false.

I'll play on it tonight and take some screenies.

Edited by Brillow_Head

I haven't noticed anything bizzare about the choke on our server in fact I get about 2-7 on just about any server I play on so it's normal to me and I don't think that it is the servers fault. I do however notice something weird about the bullet registry and I can't put my finger on it. Ever since the last update I have felt like the registry isn't all that it used to be. But like I said no hard data, choke and loss are fine when I play, it just feels differet when I am playing, I can't describe it, I just know it feels different.

I was only on Jedi #2 and pings were about half of what you found on jedi #1...I didn't play on that one so I couldn't say for sure.

Looks like your trace route goes through Chicago, but I don't think the server is there.  This is my tracert to:

Tracing route to 146-82-151-81.il.atlasservers.com [146.82.151.81]

over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    8 ms    19 ms    8 ms  10.18.168.1

2    10 ms    11 ms    27 ms  12-215-17-193.client.mchsi.com [12.215.17.193]

3    20 ms    22 ms    18 ms  12-215-2-138.client.mchsi.com [12.215.2.138]

4    29 ms    30 ms    69 ms  tbr1-p012701.cgcil.ip.att.net [12.122.2.222]

5    29 ms    31 ms    37 ms  ggr2-p300.cgcil.ip.att.net [12.123.6.33]

6    44 ms    29 ms    37 ms  att-gw.chi.gblx.net [192.205.32.126]

7    30 ms    30 ms    28 ms  so7-0-0-2488M.ar3.CHI1.gblx.net [67.17.72.130]

8    29 ms    31 ms    28 ms  146-82-151-81.il.atlasservers.com [146.82.151.81]

Trace complete.

Notice that I dont use any of the Chicago level routing that you do.  Wonder if that has something to do with it.  I checked the whois database for that IP and it said it was in Pheonix Az, but that could be false.

I'll play on it tonight and take some screenies.

That's a Chicago server...I thought it was obvious.

First, there's no way it could go from CHI to arizona in the last hop.

Furthermore, notice the ".il" in the final destination. That's Illinois.

wow....I like all this stuff. Interesting and Im learning things..thanks.

As far as choke, I used to get up to and a little over 100 here, so I meesed with the config for like a month straight. Then for quite a while I ran at generally 0, rarely up to 12. I was lovin that!

However, all of a sudden, I get chokes exceeding 50 at least once per round. Maybe 3 weeks its been happening?...guessing here. I havent changed anything in my configs..its jsut higher. Dunno if that helps or not..

Fatty +1

Brillow 0

K, servers in Chicago. This raises even more question as to why my tracert has compeletly different hops to the jedi server than to our server. You'd think it would go through some familiar gateways just to get to the Chicago area...hmmm.

Sid: The problem is not the server but my connection path to the server. Something is causing packets to get bunched up and lost before it gets to the server. You are right tho that there is something odd now since the update. Its just a feeling as you say.

It could very well be the "backbone" going into XGS. Maybe atlas uses a different provider.

Just want you to realize that there are a lot of connections between you and chicago. Could be a dirty fiber at any one of those locations.

But, as Sid mentioned. Things seem a bit different after the last update. I'm also seeing more choke as of late. Where before I was only getting 5 or 6. Now it's jumpin' up into the 20's. Not sure why. Maybe it's the mani mod, maybe it's the map rotation we're using thru the mani mod, maybe it has something to do with the way stats are being pulled. At this point nobody knows for sure. Eventually, something will come to light on this. :peace:

Has it been like this since the fire?

Let's continue to monitor this.

Barry mentions that a few people have had to reinstall or troubleshoot their addons since the update. Perhaps mrX could reinstall on #1 and see what happens. I'll ask him to do that when he has time.

After fragfest I'm going to investigate possibly having our own dedicated server somewhere. I'm doing some research atm. We've shown in the past that we can withstand IP changes.

However, stay the course right now. Our CS:S servers are doing better than they ever have as far as traffic volume.

Has it been like this since the fire?

Let's continue to monitor this.

Barry mentions that a few people have had to reinstall or troubleshoot their addons since the update.  Perhaps mrX could reinstall on #1 and see what happens.  I'll ask him to do that when he has time.

After fragfest I'm going to investigate possibly having our own dedicated server somewhere.  I'm doing some research atm.  We've shown in the past that we can withstand IP changes. 

However, stay the course right now.  Our CS:S servers are doing better than they ever have as far as traffic volume.

Now that you mention it Fatty, things haven't seemed quite right since the fire. Thinkin' back on this, that seems to be about the time things felt a little off. Maybe there is some lingering issues still.

this seems to be a problem on west #3 as well. i've had players consistently complaing of lag. i'm putting together demo's and screenshots before waving the flag....which may rule out the chicago fire.

I think the lag complaints from the west still result from the redirection. The last time I was in there, I saw 1/2 of the pings up around 100-120 range...generally meaning these are midwest players misplaced.

Well without having alot of facts and data that we all love(screen shots ect..). I just got back from vacation from Detroit Lakes, Mn. I noticed while playing a little out there that the chokes were huge with the config file that I use here in Grand Rapids, Mi. I was using my friends computer that has simular specs as mine.. I have a bit more processor but thats about it..

I cut the cmdrate and update rate in half from what I normally use here in Michigan and it helped with the chokes ect...

Then I log in tonite:bang: Normally I would be in the single digits as far as chokes are concerned, and I was well in the 50 range at times.. Cut the cmdrate and update rate in half and my chokes were under 20 and sometimes in the 20 to 30 range...

When I got home I updated CSS, before I left which was after the fire and I didn't have any problems with chokes..

Hope this helps..

Sid:  The problem is not the server but my connection path to the server.  Something is causing packets to get bunched up and lost before it gets to the server.  You are right tho that there is something odd now since the update.  Its just a feeling as you say.

Brillow man, I didn't blame the server, in fact me mentioning about the lack of extreme choke or loss was me ruling out the server as the cause of my problems. You and I are on the same page here dood. I'll keep messing around with things till I get some sort of progress and I will be sure to let you know as well as anyone else concerned.

I'm glad other people are having the same weird feeling during game play that I am. Makes me think I am not the only one. Be sure to post up if anyone has a breakthrough on this matter.