Does this happen to anyone else?

I'd say about 1/4th of the time i shoot people in the head the blood decal shows up but no damage is done. I know lag, loss and such can cause blood decals to show up but, i haven't seen any of that on the rest of the body since the last few CSS updates. With the head its been happening to me all the time. I don't get loss and rarely get choke.

Two examples:

deaztec00019wj.th.jpg

dedust00004vu.th.jpg

Both are directly in the center of the head against people that weren't moving. I could understand if they were running around and the hitboxes weren't dead on at the time i shot but thats not the case most of the time. It even happens to me in the 100tic server where most of my shot are dead on (dead on as in my shots register, not that i can aim).

Does this happen to anyone else or is it something seriously wrong with my rates/settings?

Edit: Maybe i shouldn't have posted this in scopeless. :bang:

Edited by VooDooPC

But are you sure you aren't just doing "near" lethal damage to them on the first hit and that it just hasn't updated the HP display? I've seen a delay in the time that when you switch to a person and the health shows their real hp.

If this isn't the case, then I'd say wierd...

But it's probably on your end most likely, your game is using interpolate to guess where the player is, and it thinks you've gotten a hit (and drawn the blood on the player) when it's gets an update on the player position and realizes you didn't hit them...

Just a guess. Maybe you should check your interp settings...

The first screenshot was from an AWP on bridge, so i don't think he would have survived even with minimal HP. :)

I heard that my Interp should be set to my ping. Default is 0.1 for a 100 ping. My interp is set to 0.06 becuase i ussualy get a ping of around 60.

VooDoo, did you die/get shot right around the time that you got those shots off?

It is 100% impossible in CS: Source for two people to kill each other at the same time. You shoot, and it takes the time of your ping in order to determine when the shot went off... ...then it takes the time of the target's ping to determine the damage he takes. ...of course, decals are only based on your own client. If you shoot and it theoretically hits him and sends that off to the server, you will see a blood spatter.

...if two people shoot each other, and due to the ping differences, the server decides that they both shot at the same time, it would flip a coin.

Before my drive crashed, I had a .jpeg of a T with an autosniper that had two bullet holes for eyes, and 100% health. It wasn't packet loss - it was just that the server decided that I'd get shot instead of him.

Yeah. Don't get too discouraged about that. CS:S is played with ray-traced projectiles, as with most games. Bullets don't exist. They travel faster than the speed of light, from the place they were fired, to the point they were aimed. Then the server decides if they hit. That's why it's impossible for two people to shoot each other. If everything travels faster than the speed of light, it's not possible for two things to arrive at the same time, so the second is just ignored.

Games like Max Payne have fully rendered, physical projectiles... ...of course, if all of CS:S' objects were physical, a PARA would bring a server to a crawl.

It's definately due to time differences, lag, and whatnot. It's been a long time since I've gotten blood decals to show up but have no damage dealt unless I die immediately after this occurs. (but man, was that aggravating when it I used to have to empty half a shotgun at point-blank to score).

I was over playing Halo 2 at a friend today, and while it handles lag much differently (worse IMO), the same principle works just fine: apply bullets until desired effects are achieved :D

yeah all the time. i shoot people, i know i do, and they dont die! THEY MUST BE HACKING!

jk, don't mean to make light of your situation, that sounds really frustrating. i've seen it happen before. A guy got shot in the face w/ a shottie from about a yard away, and his whole grill was covered in blood, but he had 100 hp...doesn't make much sense.

(edited)
The shotgun is the most random piece of junk ever, but thats a whole different story. :D

roger that....

you will see much improvement soon very soon. the 100 tic server is really good if none of u have tried 1c 205.138.197.170:27015

Edited by shep48

Yeah.  Don't get too discouraged about that.  CS:S is played with ray-traced projectiles, as with most games.  Bullets don't exist.  They travel faster than the speed of light, from the place they were fired, to the point they were aimed.  Then the server decides if they hit.  That's why it's impossible for two people to shoot each other.  If everything travels faster than the speed of light, it's not possible for two things to arrive at the same time, so the second is just ignored.

Games like Max Payne have fully rendered, physical projectiles... ...of course, if all of CS:S' objects were physical, a PARA would bring a server to a crawl.

Thank you for the info Norguard. :D Honestly, I had no idea how the shots were calculated, not that knowing will help me survive, but it certainly is interesting. :peace: