need a perpose built PC

KiRiN

alright my uncle inlaw is wanting me to build him a new PC, his needs are that the computer must run CAD and CAD viewing software quickly and smoothly, namely edrawings. he doesn't need a floppy drive, any CD/DVD drives or Office package, but does require a dialup modem, a 17 or 19 inch LCD monitor, and XP home. the price cap is at $850-$900. get to it!

I don't know if the deal is still going on at CompUSA or not, but they had a 3500+ with 1GB of Ram, a 200GB hd, 17" LCD, a printer, wireless router, and some other goodies for $850. My girlfriend needed a new computer, and when I saw that one there, I made her get it. :) I don't think you could build one at NewEgg cheaper than that.

Ok, my girlfriend just said it's not going on. But there may be a similar deal going on. Good luck!

I think you need to check some reviews/benchmarking to see which CPU brand/model performs CAD better. I would suspect it was Intel, but couldn't find anything with a quick link.

I did find that the faster the FSB the better as CAD does a lot of talking back and forth with the RAM and a faster throughput would increase performance.