Pat Robertson

so what do you guys think of Pats statment of the venezuelen pres.

"Since he claims we're trying to assasinate him, I think we should just go ahead and do it".

I've read tons of funny stuff on this like...

Pat robertson wants "thou shall not kill" removed from the 10 commandments.

Aug

He apologized today.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/08/24/robertson.chavez/index.html

Earlier, Robertson said that his remarks about Chavez were taken out of context and that he never called for the killing of the Latin American leader.

"I didn't say 'assassination.' I said our special forces should 'take him out.' And 'take him out' can be a number of things, including kidnapping; there are a number of ways to take out a dictator from power besides killing him.

...or taking him out for coffee. POISONED COFFEE! Come on. Who hears "this dictator should be taken out" and thinks of anything other than assassination?

I agree he should just say...

"you know even I dont have brains on some days"

fact is we've all made a statement we wish we could retract.

However this goes back to the universalism issue and how people think.

I'm reading that calvin and luther were not the nice men we ofter think of. They had people killed for denying pre-desitnation and other things.

some guy named sevetus was burned due to disagreeing with calvins views and this Tolbert guy quotes out of calvins stuff.

My father in law gave me the stuff on robertson and said "see, were not all that different today are we".

Now I wont say we arent but I do think we've become better on handling disagreements then the old days. Gosh most of us dont say...You dont buy my universalism..then I'll just kill you and your family.

But getting back to my point, tolbert states that fear is used to control the views of people. The catholics use fear, Christians used fear and today the church uses it.

Auggy

As pastor of a church I can say that fear is a part of Christianity, but not fear of "my views" or fear of "me". I think every single religeon out there has a basis of fear in thier faith. In the Christian faith it's the fear of going to hell that drives many to begin serving the Lord. In Budhism it's the fear of not achieving enlightenment that drives the follower to meditate more. My personal fear of going to hell is no longer with me because of my acceptance of Jesus, however I am one of those pastors that tries to show love to people to gain thier trust and show truth rather than judgement.

There are many bad examples of christians that have carried stuff too far. Some yell at you and tell you you will go to hell if you don't change your ways. While there is truth in this statement, noone ever hears that stuff and says "gee I never thought of it that way; where can I sign up?" Instead of trying to throw stones we should do like Jesus did and meet the needs of those around us and do like in Romans 12 and win people's hearts by truely loving strangers as well as friends and meeting one another's needs even if it means sacrifice. This will draw the interest and the hearts of those that observe us in action.

Oh and Pat Robertson wrote a fantastic little book called "Steps to Revival" that I enjoyed and put into practice. Every person out there, as stated above, says something and gets their foot stuck in their mouth from time to time. Anyone who knows me well has heard me say something that was rediculous from time to time, but there is a war out there right now that has a single goal, to bring down all Judeo-christian infuance in our society. I fear for our country.

Even so come quickly Lord Jesus

Edited by Preacher