New cards from ATI?

wayfarer

If only it would be released for $59 per card they would get me to buy a card before it was already old lol

i second that, hell Id even pay 200 bucks for a near top of the line new card.

you used to be able to get a fairly new card for that, now 200 buys you a 4 year old card.

Oh well my 4 year old HIS 9600XT Platinum 256mb card still rocks every game available, so I'll upgrade when the software catches up :)

This says it all. I understand that development takes some money, and marketing takes some pocket change. But seriously. $400 for a freaking video card that is middle of the road in a few months is insane. Make a card and market it for your average target's ( Younger gamers, for the most part) budget. In a world where I can barely afford to fuel up my truck each week, how the heck do you think I am going to be able to put money towards a card so that your company makes money? Hell, cut down the package to a static free cover, and a cheap plastic case. Get rid of the graphical cardboard box that requires more packaging because the thing is 5X bigger than the card. := <Rant over>

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

My X800 Pro (in reality an XT) was top of the line a year ago when I got it and it is still on top. It really depends on the card you buy at the time. The R520 will be on top for a while or so near the top that anything new for the coming months will not matter. It will be like the 9700 pro when that came out. It was so good that it wasn't worth buying a 9800pro or XT if you already had the 9700 pro.

Oh well my 4 year old HIS 9600XT Platinum 256mb card still rocks every game available, so I'll upgrade when the software catches up :)

This says it all. I understand that development takes some money, and marketing takes some pocket change. But seriously. $400 for a freaking video card that is middle of the road in a few months is insane. Make a card and market it for your average target's ( Younger gamers, for the most part) budget. In a world where I can barely afford to fuel up my truck each week, how the heck do you think I am going to be able to put money towards a card so that your company makes money? Hell, cut down the package to a static free cover, and a cheap plastic case. Get rid of the graphical cardboard box that requires more packaging because the thing is 5X bigger than the card. := <Rant over>

• 2 weeks later...

My bet, Way, is that with the expansion of the 800XT/XL cards, keeping the 850 line would just be confusing, as you'd have two, or maybe three pairs of cards that are active on the market, and virtually identical, save for the name...

Getting rid of the 800 series wouldn't be the right choice, either, because that would be stepping totally out of traditional nomenclature. The only time they really do it is if you're as high in the series as you can go, but need to release a slightly faster card (IE: x850 or FX5950).

I'm looking forward to seeing what the performance is, out of one PCI-e card in the new lineup - but I have a new problem.

Aegia PhysX cards are going to be PCI-e, as well. With only two PCI-e slots (not counting 1x expansions) on current motherboards, which setup will offer more gameplay value - two SLI cards, or one, and a dedicated physics processor?

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

Dedicated physics processors have to be supported by the software and in their current state basically useless. That is my opinion. I am also one of those type who want top of the line but I can never see myself buying a Crossfire or SLI system. You can either spend 1g now on 2 top of the line cards or spend 500 now and then in 6-12 months buy a new card for 500 and get the same performance that the 2 in SLI would be getting or higher (As in the case with the 7800 vs 2x 6800 in SLI) w/ new features and etc.

Personally, I would only get the one card.

Dedicated physics cards will, for the first little while, and in current games, be absolutely pointless. The low-cost consumer boards will also be crippled in comparisson to the larger prosumer PhysX boards... ...however, with backing from Epic Megatrends, Ubisoft and others, "true" physics will become more common.

Some of the demos for PhysX are laughable... ...in-game particles, for the most part are still too large to seemlessly interact... ...at least to a person who's been steeped in videogame/3D creation for years. It's like monster makeup. Once you know exactly how it's done, you can only suspend disbelief if you make an effort not to analyze everything to death... Some of the better demos, however, blow me away in a sense that they were rendered in real-time, on a high-end, current PC, and not rendered and compiled per-frame.

Another few years, however, and particle/sprite sizes will shrink exponentially in the real-time rendered market. I'm thinking just in time for Unreal 3/Wolfenstein 3 (it's the next on the list for another sequel. We have to wait and see what the new IP is going to be from Id Software, as well). These are games that are still one or two videocard generations away.

It will take a while to manifest, but I think they're heading in the right direction, to make real-time rendering more believable. The two most important aspects to creating realism in a scene are the most subtle ones, that you don't normally notice: light and particles. We're finally making strides in one, but the other is lagging behind.

In the future, I'm hoping to see a motherboard with only two or three 'legacy' PCI slots, with PCI-e in use for video, sound and physics. Might not happen anytime soon... ...the first boards won't even be in full swing until next year. Right around that same time, we may as well get rid of our Socket 754 and Socket 939 motherboards. It was no different with Hardware Z Buffers, Hardware T&L, Anisotropic Filtering and Pixel Shaders... all were useless until people built games around them. But looking back at Quake, and Quake 3 and Doom 3, it's clear to see what impact each advancement has made in the progression of gaming.

My friend tried to tell me that my 256MB 9600XT was a waste, when his 5200SE would be more than enough to play anything that he wanted... ........yeah.

Edited by Norguard