Linksys router problems?

sux0r_DC

Man, I'm having no end of problems with my Linksys BEFSR11 router... :bang:

Dropped connections, all kinds of in-game issues (packets out of order, missing, etc...) and I'm about at my wit's end! I've read a number of forum threads out there about how crappy the firmware is for Linksys routers and CS:S functionality. Just wondering: does anyone else run Linksys at home? If so, what version of firmware do you use? The latest on the website is 1.46.2, but I've had to continually revert to older versions. Looks like I've found a stable one at 1.40, but if anyone has any suggestions that'd be great!

Can an Admin teleport this thread?

Personally, I've always used Linksys, and when properly configured I've never had a problem. Well, with one version of the firmware on a BEFSR11 I did, but other than that one I had a hard time finding one that didn't work. I don't play much Source, but I am now (Zombiemod!) and have had no issues with my Linksys router which is a B/G wireless SOHO router (don't remember model #). I know that won't help you...

I have heard people who have had numerous problems with Linksys routers, so might I suggest:

(1) Try to borrow a router from a friend, esepcially if it works on Source for them. I know that may not be feasible, but eliminate Linksys from the picture to see if that helps.

(2) Is it a desktop? Can you try putting in a different network card? That can eliminate some issues as well.

Good luck, and hope someone else has some light to shed on your issue.

Thanks for the tip on the HW/SW/CW forum Bandit - I didn't know that was there :)

This problem is specific to CS:S packet handling by the router though, or so I've been led to believe on other forums. If this thread would be more appropriate elsewhere, please move it (and thanks!), but I'm hoping for responses from CS:S players on this specific issue...

I use the WRT54G router with a usb wireless adapter in one of the machines. I have to use the software that comes with the adapter or else wireless zero configurater comes on and makes me lose packets every 10 secconds or so. I dunno what would be causing your problem but I bet you could find out by posting on a tech type message board. Personally I use hardforum to get advice about technical stuff.