Green Day

CowboyFromHell`X

Now I am NOT saying they're bad musicians whatsoever, to make this topic clear.

But would you consider them a Punk band anymore? To me calling someone from MTV or mainstream a "Punk" band is a joke. Punk was made to be anti-mainstream and was made against the popularity thing. Once a "punk" band crosses that line it's over.

So can anyone tell me why they're still called Punk and not give me a reason like "it's good shut up."

Sad to have to say it, but "Punk" as you know it is dead and gone...

Just like when I say "Pop", I mean Phil Collins and Peter Gabriel, not Jessica Simpson.

I absolutely loved their first two albums, but I've made it a point to avoid Green Day since their third one. "Hitchin' a Ride" was the song that did it for me... You know, the song that was also The Stray Cats' "Stray Cat Strut", but two frets lower. Good thing it didn't come to fisticuffs, because I think Brian Setzer could take Billie Joe out in a heartbeat.

None of the terminology we have made for music in the past thirty years really counts anymore, because once you add image, it's no longer about the music.

Is rock Nazareth, is it Pearl Jam, or is it Linkin Park? Does it mean making a band that plays only what you want to play, does it mean avoiding the press, and undermining the record companies/ticketing agencies, or does it mean going to school for marketing, to learn how to make the most money off of each album, and then writing remix collaberations across music genres, to make crossover profits as well? Personally, I'd take the first two, but then I can pretty much guarantee that it's not my goal as a musician to live the life of a rockstar.

...and honestly, it's the corporations that are feeding this stuff to us... ...but it's our fault for letting them, and giving them a reason to change the trend every six months...

...underground used to be underground because you could only get it bootlegged. Indie used to be indie, because the band raised $12 000 itself to print CDs and go on a small tour. Those weren't musical genres, before. They were rock bands, or punk bands, or thrash bands... Underground is now underground because everybody's heard it, and likes to have black hair and tight pants...

To bring this diatribe to a close, I was at the movie theatre a few weeks ago, walking to our screen room, when I saw a girl in front of us, decked out in a Ramones t-shirt. The back of it said "Hey! Ho! Let's go!". As I walked by, I turned to her and said "Blitzkrieg Bop.' That rocks." She had no idea what I was talking about... I pointed to her t-shirt "The Ramones' 'Blitzkrieg Bop'."

She replied with: "Oh yeah, I got this shirt down in the States a little while ago. I was in Hot Topic and thought it looked cool."

...I could just cry.

Edited by Norguard

Yeah I know what you mean. I just got the idea for this thread from a friend who listens to Punk. He listens to like Misfits, DRI, stuff like that. He got me listening to Misfits and when I start to like a band I learn a little about them.

And I have a war story too lol. I was talking to someone and they were talking about how they love Danzig. I made the comment "Yeah he's good solo I just think Misfits aren't the same." His reply was "I said Danzig I didn't mention the Misfits." Now they could've meant they liked Danzig solo but they had no idea he was former lead singer of the Misfits and that person had a Misfits shirt on.

And I do not listen to the Ramones, but I do know alot of their stuff and my brother was watching a show and then they played a Ramones song. I thought it was cool that a music show of today would play them but when I looked over at the TV it was a cell phone commercial.

You listen to Green Day and I really don't so could you tell me some of songs that they made before they went MTV?

Heh. There never were any. They started the punk wave at the end of the grunge movement.

Erm, have a listen to Longview and Welcome to Paradaise, as well as FOD, if you want to get a smattering of what they were like before "Minority" and "American Idiot". When I Come Around was their first single, and it was the first song to launch them into the stratosphere. They really were an overnight sensation. They haven't changed all that much, either. They changed the world around them. They went from a pretty cool mainstream punk band who said what was on their mind, to just another MTV band who have 20 clone bands who are better at writing Green Day songs than they are.

Edited by Norguard

To bring this diatribe to a close, I was at the movie theatre a few weeks ago, walking to our screen room, when I saw a girl in front of us, decked out in a Ramones t-shirt.  The back of it said "Hey! Ho! Let's go!".  As I walked by, I turned to her and said "Blitzkrieg Bop.' That rocks."  She had no idea what I was talking about...  I pointed to her t-shirt "The Ramones' 'Blitzkrieg Bop'."

She replied with: "Oh yeah, I got this shirt down in the States a little while ago.  I was in Hot Topic and thought it looked cool."

...I could just cry.

Oh man that is so funny..

I used to be into punk in a big way back in the early 90's (during highschool and what not).. I dug the early 80's stuff as well.. Even the main stream stuff i.e. sex pistols, minor threat ect.. I still throw in my Fugazi 13 songs cd atleast once a month (even though it's not punk).. Dug and still do NOFX, first album ribbed (that I purchased) still makes me laugh..

Note avatar.. Some what mainstream, and even more now.. Hehe..

Edited by BushMaster

I used to like Green Day. Their song "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" was a great hit...unfortunatly is was too good. That song became the most overplayed song EVER! Sadly, I don't care for Green Day anymore.

Thanks MTV, you ruined a great band for me. :bang:

• 4 weeks later...

punk doesnt belong in the mainstream, although green day still held a good foothold on their music sounding punk up until nimrod(the last one I bought).

I'm not to down for old school punk, but I do listen to my style of punk, and yes every punk band that goes mainstream turns their music into crap.

Blink 182 - Cheshire Cat was awesome

Dude Ranch - pretty good

Enema of the State - Crap

I still listen to punk, but what some of you will call mainstream, but I havent seen them on MTV.

NOFX - yea yeaaaa. they made their first TV apperance last year, only because they felt so strong about the country and elections, if you see the performance, its defintely justifiable they are nowhere near selling out.

Lagwagon

Pennywise

AFI has a few videos, but they still rock

Strung Out

Propagandhi

Longfellow

H20

hm..can't think of much more, but there are still good bands out there!!

punk doesnt belong in the mainstream, although green day still held a good foothold on their music sounding punk up until nimrod(the last one I bought).

I'm not to down for old school punk, but I do listen to my style of punk, and yes every punk band that goes mainstream turns their music into crap.

Blink 182 - Cheshire Cat was awesome

Dude Ranch - pretty good

Enema of the State - Crap

I still listen to punk, but what some of you will call mainstream, but I havent seen them on MTV.

NOFX - yea yeaaaa.  they made their first TV apperance last year, only because they felt so strong about the country and elections, if you see the performance, its defintely justifiable they are nowhere near selling out.

Lagwagon

Pennywise

AFI has a few videos, but they still rock

Strung Out

Propagandhi

Longfellow

H20

hm..can't think of much more, but there are still good bands out there!!

no love for bad religion?

(edited)

yea everyone knows of Nofx being a crappy punk band.

i would bet 10,000 bucks that if they were to release some music on MTV, It would go mainstream within a week and everyone and their grandma and the little 14 yr olds would flock to em.

they could release at LEAST 2-3 songs each from these albums

White Trash two heebs and a Bean

Punk in Drublic

So Long and thanks for all the shoes

Probably even get a few from War on Errorism, Pump up the Vallum, Heavy Petting Zoo

One of my favorites only made it to a Punk'oRama CD......

"We threw gasoline on the fire and now have stumbs for arms and no eyebrows"

But they dont sing about what most 14 yr olds like... my girl left me, I'm just a boy, I'm not cool enough. whine, whine, whine.....

its more like lesbians, alcoholics, morons and a little bit of corrupted society straight up....

At the end of So long and th........ It has a clip of Howard stern hearing their music and going who is this?? Better not play this at a disco party, this music isn't rockin, their name should be NOTALENT. haha

ah I can go on and on...lol

Edited by NOFX

i would bet 10,000 bucks that if they were to release some music on MTV, It would go mainstream within a week and everyone and their grandma and the little 14 yr olds would flock to em.

Punk in Drublic

Probably even get a few from War on Errorism, Pump up the Vallum, Heavy Petting Zoo

But they dont sing about what most 14 yr olds like...  my girl left me, I'm just a boy, I'm not cool enough.  whine, whine, whine.....

its more like lesbians, alcoholics, morons and a little bit of corrupted society straight up....

At the end of So long and th........    It has a clip of Howard stern hearing their music and going who is this??  Better not play this at a disco party, this music isn't rockin,  their name should be NOTALENT.  haha

I agree with ya 100%.

I'm glad they never sold out!!

10 yrs ago I saw them at a local pub.. Mabe 100 ppl there max. And they rocked out in a big way.. All of the ppl there were big fans so it was alot of fun.. I actually got to sit down with Fat Mike and buy him a beer.. Way 1337..

My favorite album is still "Ribbed" though..

(edited)
I actually got to sit down with Fat Mike and buy him a beer..  Way 1337.. 

ahh man that would be to awesome...

we are the moron brothers, tatooed fingers tatooed toes

Edited by NOFX

• 2 weeks later...

well man i don't really care if the band goes mainstream or not i listen to the songs themselves you guys have to listen to the whole cd to understand whats going on! my ex girlfriend bout me american idoit an a lot of there songs are pretty deep i dunno! I don't care if a band goes mainstream or not as long as the music is good and true its all good! man NOFX rules! i wish the cd i have of them wasn't all scratch up! i think it is the i heard they suck live cd! sweet cd! when i listen to music i try to listen to the words and i say try its becausei have a hearing problem lol i take songs to heart heck some songs make me cry caues i can relate!! AFI for instance.....

• 4 months later...

Punk in Drublic

But they dont sing about what most 14 yr olds like... my girl left me, I'm just a boy, I'm not cool enough. whine, whine, whine.....

At the end of So long and th........ It has a clip of Howard stern hearing their music and going who is this?? Better not play this at a disco party, this music isn't rockin, their name should be NOTALENT. haha

I agree with ya 100%.

I'm glad they never sold out!!

10 yrs ago I saw them at a local pub.. Mabe 100 ppl there max. And they rocked out in a big way.. All of the ppl there were big fans so it was alot of fun.. I actually got to sit down with Fat Mike and buy him a beer.. Way 1337..

my favorite nofx album is maximum rock n roll.. Ever heard of it? I bought it at a hippy cd store place, i've never seen it in mall stores. anyways its wayy cool or liberal animation is the first one i heard. i heard they suck live is their live album, thats pretty cool too, but they were my favorite punk band back in the day. Hotdog in a hallway, stickin in my eye, six pack girls, i live in a cake

thats me on the beach side combing the sand

metal meter in my hand

supporting a pocket full of change

there are a few other punk bands i like that are/were on the epitaph label like osker, zeke, gas huffer, voodoo glow skulls, and many more... rancid is a fav of mine too

as for green day, they were cool like in 8th grade, they were punk, but i don't like them anymore, sellouts...

reminds me of that song sell out by reel big fish..

EDIT: Someone put their chocolate in my peanutbutter

Edited by Pestilence