power supply

NOFX

ok, i seen homer say that never go chep on a power supply. Well I was supposed to get a 400 watt, but they didnt send it with my case and I doubt they are gonna send it to me, So I am stuck with a 250 watt power supply. What is the difference? I am running 3 case fans, a neon light, 2 HD's and 2 CDROMS. Will I notice any difference with a better PS? And Oh yea, I hear you on those #!%@ Ribbon cables.

Ya its a pretty simple concept. The higher the wattage the more devices you can run. You CPU is only going to draw 3.3volts, but your 3 fans are gonna use 5V or 12V each and you probably have a 5volt floppy and those dual CD roms both running 12 volts plus that HD pulling 12V and a 12 volt DC inverter for your neon light, oh and of course the motherboard pulling 12 volts too. The concept of wattage is Wattage=Amps*Volts. Your computer is pulls about 3 amps. Do the math and you get around 300watts. You are probably overdrawing current out of your power supply which you can do, but its very hard on it and can cause it to overheat and burn up. If you overdraw, your voltage tends to become more irregular which can harm components. I recommend purchasing a new higher wattage power supply, especially before adding devices. If I screwed this explanation up someone please correct me, but i think i gave you the info you needed. Hope this helps.