Major ping/loss/choke issues

farmerisme

I have a pretty good speed cable modem (3M down 256 up) and have been having incredibly inconsistant pings lately (70-200 unstable) horrible loss (20-30) and huge choke spikes (up to 50). This has been happening off and on for about the last month, sometimes it will be good mostly it will be very bad as stated above. The last few days it has been bad pretty much non stop. Before this started happening I would always get about 25-35 ping, 0 loss, 0 choke....

I have run trace routes when things were going bad and I do not see anything out of the ordinary in them... I can post plots if anyone thinks that would help.

The internet bandwidth tests that I run, to a chicago server, almost always come out good (2700-2900 kbps down).

I am not running any other programs when I play.

I have tweaked my rates (updaterate, cmdrate, rate etc) back and forth a bunch to see if this would help... no combo I could find made any difference so I keep them at what worked before when things were running smooth.

I have run ADAWARE and anti virus to see if there were any of those issues but none made a difference and nothing seemed out of the ordinary.

This started happening well after the switch to a2g, and things worked will on these servers in the past.

I am not the most computer savvy person in the world but I am out of ideas. Pretty much at my wits end. This situation has made the game pretty much unplayable...

:bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:

HELP ME BEFORE I TYPE 'SUICIDE' IN THE CONSOLE!!!!!

Rather than using the traceroutes from windows, use this http://www.pingplotter.com/ and see if you're getting spikes or loss at any hops.

It's most likely intermittent but frequent on one of the hops between you and the server. The program is pretty customizable, I'd say run 1 sample per second for several minutes and then see how it looks.

You're interested in the bottom graph mostly, it shows the results over time of your pings.

Also use IE and go here, run the full virus/spyware scan.

http://housecall.antivirus.com

There is also a quick removal tool on the main page, run that too.

ZD..... Well I ran these tonight... im going to give it a few days and see if anything changes... ZD thanks for offering to help here from on the server. Top marks man, I'll buy you a usp sometime. There were some things showing up that were not there on other scans I have run so we will see... if nothing else that crap is off the PC.

ICE.... When I was saying that I had done trace routes I had meant that I was using the pingplotter software, my feeble mind thinks those are the same things if they are not. Perhaps this is rather ignorant but do the pings coming off the plotter correspond with the same numbers that steam gives me? I am going to try playing a few days after running the scans that ZD suggested and run plots at different times of the day and when seeing problems (if it persists). I will post them when I do.

If some of you wisemen could keep half an eye on this topic when I repost it would be great. I have been playing ALOT of CS:S and not being able to play has me crawling walls.

Thanks again for the advice guys... hope this helps.

you should also double click on the last server, this gives you a time graph of the ping to the server.  It should show up on teh bottom of the pic

I only have the freeware version... clicking on the server does nothing for me... do i need the other version to do that?

Playing today at least I seem to have stepped back my problem... getting normal pings but loss of about 25-30 from 7-11 CST.

I've got teh freeware too, you have to double click on the hop # to the left of the server.  It should have a bold black line underneath and the trend graph should appear at teh bottom.  It's probably also in menu's I think

I think the shareware version has it but the freeware one does not... i will DL the shareware one to try this out tomorrow evening.

Past couple of days my ping is back to normal 15-30... which is good, but still getting massive loss in evening primetime. Ill get a plot of it with the new version tomorrow.

Thanks for helping me with this Ice.

I didn't realize there was both, I just D/L'd it from teh site one day and bam it worked

I"m still getting some loss prob's, shep rebooted the server last night though and things smoothed out after that.

I'm afriad there's probably not much that can be done for the short term about the loss during the evenings, that's the highest usage time for internet usually. Hopefully they're getting more infrastructure added to the specific router areas needed....

I can deal with the loss... just makes communication harder... and I can't hear nades and shots half the time :(

My problems with horrid ping stuff and choke bombs were the things that were killing me... I don't know if it resolved itself on its own accord or the stuff that ZD suggested fixed it. Getting good pings all day now and no choke. So I can at least play and not be angry about it.