YOU! GET MOVING!

Fatty

Accountablility for working out is pretty essential if you're just getting started. Posting up your workout in detail, including daily results, can really be the key to get your through and past those "lazy" times before you've established your routine.

One of my favorite things is hearing about how someone from our community has dusted off their equipment, or put on their running shoes for the first time in a long while. However, once or twice isn't going to get you anywhere.

The friendly competition between Bub and I is proving very successful. While I was just underway on a new regimine, it enhanced it and gave it some life. Along came my marathon which helped me focus even more. Now I'm in another phase of my workout.

The fact of the matter is, though, if you know you need some change and you know you need to get back into shape....

STOP WAITING!!!

I'm gonna share something with you. It's rather embaressing, but I'm going to share a picture of me before I started working out. It's been a long time, and the road hasn't been a continual one by any means. I've gone back and forth, on and off, but I can tell you now that I'm never going back again.

The picture is a pic of me in what is nearly the worst shape of my life.....two years ago. Have I been working out for two years straight? Heck no. You'll see a difference in yourself in TWO WEEKS!

No drugs. No supplements. Nothing but hard work.

Yes, the pic is embaressing, but more important than my embaressment is the fact of the matter that change is possible and attainable. If I somehow motivate one person in our community to lose 10 lbs, then it's all worth it.

But it's not easy.

It's not 3 x's a week 20 minutes each time. While that helps, and is better than nothing, it's a joke.

You gotta sweat, and I'm talking about the sweat that fills the front and back of your shirt. I'm not talking about that wet spot that you get in your armpit and thought you were burning calories sitting in a meeting.

You gotta stop eating. You'd be amazed how little food you actually need. No, I'm not talking starvation, but I tell you what...I probably ate twice as much as I needed before....make that 3xs. We're lucky our body wastes so much.

You want me to call you on the phone? I will.

You want your own pinned topic so we can encourage you? Done.

You want to try this on your own without some accountability? Good luck.

I'm talking about life-changing events here.....transformation.

Ok, here you go.....again, I cringe at showing you the real "Fatty," but being able to show you something that is done through sweat and discpline WITHOUT visiting GNC is worth the stretch.

Fatty vs UnFatty

Bub and I are here for anyone that wants to get moving and change. If you want to have an accountability partner that's NOT public, we can do through the PM system or email! PM ME BY CLICKING HERE

I wanna hear success stories! I wanna know about 3lbs that you lost!!!

I'm not done. I still need Bub to push me. I have about 10 or 15 more lbs to lose, and it's not going to be easy!!! But guess what? It's gonna happen!

Ok Fatty I could always use a little encouragement, & your pictures & determination are quite inspirational! You can find my post in this thread mine is

second from the end. As promised I have some pictures which are also kind of

embarassing. On the plus side I am up to 5 sets of 6 laps in the pool. I have NOT

been goin every second day because I just spent 2 weeks out in western Canada.

Now to implement a walk & light wieghts on the "inbetween" days. Thus I

should be doing something everyday. Swimming was today so a walk is tommorrow.

Well here we go: start date October 7, 2005

start weight 211lbs

paul2.gif

paul4.gif

Edited by wayfarer

GC Founder

Awesome!

Let's start your own thread with the pics, etc...and make it your own!

Awesome news about the 5 sets. I've heard swimming will just melt the weight right off of you!

How often are you planning on weighing in?

With your disability, can you do any lifting in a seated position at all?

I'm glad you posted the pics! I can't wait to see the progress, brother! Yes, yes, here we go!

I want to start a thread & post the original pics there, but how do I get

them to just stay on the thread, not have to click on them? I want to weigh

in every Saturday. It is my intention to lose approx. 30lbs by the end of

November! Yes I can lift weights in any position except they must be light,

and not effect my leg muscles. You'd be surprised how often you're really

using your legs, however lightly, when lifting weights. I actually have a really

good 20-30min routine using 5lb weights while lating down. (1) With my arms

stretched out in a " T " position bring the weights to my chest. (2) With my arms

at my side bring the weights to my shoulders. (3) With my arms outstretched

above my head bring the weights above my shoulders to the bench position.

All of them 3 sets of 10 reps. Once someone posts on how to properly display the pictures I'll start posting.

P.S. Just got back from the pool....5 sets 6 laps....feel FANTASTIC!!!!

:boing::boing::boing::boing::boing::boing::boing:

GC Alumni
(edited)

hey way, it's gonna be you and me buddy. my sister is getting married in just over two months, and i'm gonna be seeing a lot of friends + family i haven't seen in while. i'll be starting a thread, if you want to do updates there, it might help us both stay motivated.

to do pictures, start by uploading them to a free service like http://www.imageshack.us. on imageshack, click the browse button to find the image on your computer, and then click host it. take the last link they give you (Direct link to image) and copy it. on the gc forums, when you're posting, click the IMG button above the box where you're typing the respose. paste the link you copied, and hit ok. the image should be included in your post.

*edit* thread started here.

Edited by stuttering.john

John, he doesn't need that free service. He has FTP rights as a GC member. Wayfarer if you don't have an FTP account set up let me know and I'll get you one. If you have no clue what FTP is, shoot me a PM or AIM me and we'll talk it out, really simple once its explained to you. Good for you both!!!! John, I'll be seeing you while you're here, so I will get to judge your progress!!!!!

GC Founder

Wayfarer great start! Perhaps consider 2 lbs / week as a good loss rate....30 lbs in 2 months might be a little extreme. Great goal, just don't want to see you burn out, hurt yourself, or get sick, etc.

Wayfarer great start!  Perhaps consider 2 lbs / week as a good loss rate....30 lbs in 2 months might be a little extreme.  Great goal, just don't want to see you burn out, hurt yourself, or get sick, etc.

I could live with 16lbs by the end of November! :luxhello: I'm not going to increase my routine if I'm not meeting my goals. This has been coming for a long time now. Although it might seem like I just picked up & got into the pool, I have been trying (unsuccessfully) to lose weight for quite some time now. Through trial & error I have discovered a great many things about myself, swimming, the human body, and how it all ties in together. Believe me, I'm ready to go. I have been successfully maintaining my weight for the past year doing at best 4 sets of 6 laps twice/week. Now doing 5 of 6 every second day plus a walk & weights plus strict diet for 2 months. Heck, no beer should be good for 10lbs at least LOL! I would be surprised at 16lbs by the end of November.....but far from disappointed! :boing:

Wayfarer great start!  Perhaps consider 2 lbs / week as a good loss rate....30 lbs in 2 months might be a little extreme.  Great goal, just don't want to see you burn out, hurt yourself, or get sick, etc.

I could live with 16lbs by the end of November! :luxhello: I'm not going to increase my routine if I'm not meeting my goals. This has been coming for a long time now. Although it might seem like I just picked up & got into the pool, I have been trying (unsuccessfully) to lose weight for quite some time now. Through trial & error I have discovered a great many things about myself, swimming, the human body, and how it all ties in together. Believe me, I'm ready to go. I have been successfully maintaining my weight for the past year doing at best 4 sets of 6 laps twice/week. Now doing 5 of 6 every second day plus a walk & weights plus strict diet for 2 months. Heck, no beer should be good for 10lbs at least LOL! I would be surprised at 16lbs by the end of November.....but far from disappointed! :boing:

way - you, me, daily updates. i need to hear about your success to keep me motivated.

i imagined i was running after fatty with one arm cocked ready to smack that bowling ball head of his to keep one foot moving after the other on the treadmill today. it works!

way - you, me, daily updates. i need to hear about your success to keep me motivated.

i imagined i was running after fatty with one arm cocked ready to smack that bowling ball head of his to keep one foot moving after the other on the treadmill today. it works!

Ok SJ, you & me! I'm gonna start a new thread entitled "THE WARPOST"

- daily updates (meals, drinks, how your workout went...everything)

- weekly weigh in's

- weekly pics

- startup weigh in

- post full routine

I'll have it done later today so you can post up.

INCOMING!!! INTO THE TRENCHES!!!

:angry::angry::angry::angry:

GC Founder

heck, people drop pounds just by giving up pop.....if you're cutting out beer (dunno how much you drink) it'll show fast.

In my former pics, my desk would be covered with beer and mountain dew cans. Now it's water bottles, gatorade, and some diet pop cans.

YOU GO!

BiGBonES tips for people who loose motivation to persue their fitness regimes

"New York Times- This is a must read for anyone trying to get fit! 5 out of 5"

Introduction

I have found that the hardest part of starting a new routine is the first few times you start exercising.

You start off all fully motivated, you feel pumped up and rearing to go.

Your first run/workout goes really well, probably due to the fresh motivation driving you forwards.

But when it comes to your second workout you think "hmmm i've done one, i'll do another later", and never get round to doing it

or

After your second workout, you realise things are not as easy. Your probably not being driven forwards by that fresh motivation, and your muscles will still be tired from the previous workout. Therefore things start getting hard!

I believe that this is where most people drop out: right in the early stages.

Direct your motivation towards more specific goals

Instead of taking the mentality of saying "I'm going to get fit, have a beach body and enjoy myself", set yourself a smaller goal, as the above will soon turn out irrelevant.

I'd recommend setting your first goal as completing your first 10 workouts, having set out a small timetable of how often you are planning to work out. If you lack motivation, by concentrating it all on these first tough ten workouts, you'll probably find it easy to keep on going for a few more months.

Say to yourself "NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS, I WILL WORKOUT 10 TIMES BEFORE GIVING UP"

Why?

I say the first 10, because these are sometimes the hardest. I can gaurantee you will see no physical difference in your appearance, so you may think the exercise is unrewarding.

Also, your body is getting used to this new life style. If you workout hard enough the first few times, you may come back having headaches and just wanting to sleep.

These negative side effects will often make most people give up their new tough routine and go back to their easy relaxed lifestyle. So by concentrating all your efforts to complete the first 10 workouts, you will have more chance of success.

How?

Well, after you have done 10 workouts, probably taking you around 3 weeks, you will start to notice a BIG difference:

-Your body would have probably toned up a bit to a noticable extent

-Your feel a lot better in life: not as much stress and more self belief/confidence

-After doing your first 10 workouts, your find that the workout becomes easier, as your body is able to recover from exercise faster and you'll be able to push yourself more and more.

Example

Take fatty as a prime example. He started off wanting to shred pounds, now his lifestyle has changed completely. He's seen the light! The good feelings of exercise have started to get to him. Hes got a lot more self confidence, and is looking in bloody good shape.

But, I believe his pictures will give you guys false hope. Although he makes lots of good points, your probably looking at his 'before and after' photos saying to yourself "if exercising does this, i'm going to exercise".

Exercise does do this, but if his pictures are your only source of motivation, you may find yourself dropping out really quickly :(

Extra

Once you start feeling these new feelings (no stress, great body, more self confidence, a love for working out), you won't need motivation! You'll exercise because of your love for it, it will no longer be a chore, it will be a great part of your life. You would probably rather exercise than sit infront of the computer doing nothing productice

Conclusion

So, instead of putting your motivation towards getting fit and loosing wieght, put every drop of effort into completing the first 10 workouts, then you'll know what I'm talking about!

Remember, no pain, no gain! Don't be weak, be strong. If you can't feel your heart pounding, your lungs desperate for more air and sweat pouring into your eyes, your not doing it hard enough. And if you do feel like this, push yourself even harder - this will be a feeling you'll come to love.

Other tips-

Find a partner to train with. Urge each other on more and more, one of you set the pace for the exercise one week, and the next week the other one does it. Encourage each other and go for it. A real life partner is great, but hard to find - so go ahead and find someone else from gc who is in a similar sitatuations.

Also, try group training. Its hard to find a group of friends who have the same committment as you, but if you do then its well worth it.

Side note

You don't need any expensive equipment to work out, except a good set of running shoes. You can run on the road, and do push ups + sit ups for free on the floor.

I hope this advice helps anyone who finds it hard persuing health related goals. I've based this all on personal experience, and it does work. You just need belief!

GC Founder
but if his pictures are your only source of motivation

I offer moral support.

I offer accountability.

I also offer the unpleasant housecall to anyone that drops out (continental US only, see package for details)

I want everyone to know that what I am doing right now is not something

I just jumped into. I'm not lazy. Believe me there are very few people

that I have met that have the sheer strength of will as I have. This is NOT

boasting! What you are seeing is actually the culmination of YEARS of

doctors, finding out certian foods that disagree with me (prevent me from working

out) & overcoming addiction. I have actually been swimming for almost three years now. The only reason I posted my pictures is because I have FINALLY

removed all the obstacles between myself now, and myself where I want to be.

Trust me Bigbones. There is nothing, God willing, that will stand in my way. Nothing.

I want everyone to know that what I am doing right now is not something

I just jumped into. I'm not lazy. Believe me there are very few people

that I have met that have the sheer strength of will as I have. This is NOT

boasting! What you are seeing is actually the culmination of YEARS of

doctors, finding out certian foods that disagree with me (prevent me from working

out) & overcoming addiction. I have actually been swimming for almost three years now. The only reason I posted my pictures is because I have FINALLY

removed all the obstacles between myself now, and myself where I want to be.

Trust me Bigbones. There is nothing, God willing, that will stand in my way. Nothing.

Hey dude i wasnt reffering to you, obvously after 3 years your not lacking motivation :D

It was just some help/adivce for people like myself, who would probably start off motivated then slowly witness to motivation leak away.

But now wayfarer, I want to see you gasping for breath! muhahaha

But now wayfarer, I want to see you gasping for breath! muhahaha

:biglaugha::biglaugha::biglaugha::biglaugha:

ROFL.....I'll see if I can get some pics of me swimming for you!!

One other thing Bigbones.....I've been thinking about this pool.....

even though one of the lifeguards said it is 75m long, the more I look at it

the more I realize, this pool is not 75m. They do all they're swim competitions

there, but I think this pool is 75 feet not 75m. When I was out west I managed

to get to a pool every 3-4 days to keep myself from going rusty. Before I went,

I was a little sceptical as to the quality of the facilaties (small town) so I called

& asked how long the pool was. They said it was 25m. So I went & it seemed to

be roughly the same size. I counted my strokes...17 (34 if you count both arms)

and sure enough when I got back to my regular pool it was 17. Sorry about

any confusion. Until I looked, I just took for granted what the lifeguard said. I am

going to double check that though.

lol, dont listen to lifeguards. I was lifeguarding all summer and didnt have a clue what i was doing/saying!

As far as I know, an olympic size swimming pool is 50metres long.

But, does it really matter how long the pool is? If your nakered after the swim, then you've done your work. If your not nakered, get back in the pool and try and sprint a couple of the lengths.

As far as I know, an olympic size swimming pool is 50metres long.

I believe you are right here.

But, does it really matter how long the pool is? If your nakered after the swim, then you've done your work. If your not nakered, get back in the pool and try and sprint a couple of the lengths.

I'd watch out for this guy Wayfarer. He may be on John's side. I would think that if you swam so hard you were nakered when you got out of the pool, they might not let you come back to the pool? :=