de_MiningAssault

Ice_Berge_00

So, many of you have heard me talkin about it for some time now, I think I started this back in May, but I'm finally nearing completion on my main map!!

I'll have a few pictures up today or tomorrow, but for now I thought I'd give you a teaser of some of the details

The terrorists have attacked a mining storage area in the mountains. They are attempting to destroy one of the two storage areas which hold all the mining equpiment and resources for the entire operation.

Terrorists start at the mouth of a large cave leading to the center of the map which has side entrances to both sites. They also can take 1 of 2 hallways to each bombsite directly.

The counterterrorists start in their own staging area and can take 1 of 2 direct paths to the bombsites or use a mine shaft to enter the cave from the closed end. The counter terrorists may have a little surprise for the T's entering the cave as well.

Well, that's all for the moment. As I said, I'll have pics either tonight or tomorrow for you!

GC Alumni
(edited)

Ok, as promised here are some pics from my new map. I've still gotta tweak the lighting in some places, as you see some areas are a bit dark yet, but most everything else is done.

Here's the view towards site B from the T side

de_MiningAssault1.jpg

Here's a look from the CT side towards the same bombsite, you might notice the mining tunnel just to the right, this leads to an ambush spot for the CT's.

de_MiningAssaultTheRock.jpg

Here's the actual bombsite itself, I crouched when I took the pic, so things look a little larger than they really are

de_MiningAssaultSiteB.jpg

Here's bomsite A, again it's a little dark I've gotta up the lighting a little yet.

de_MiningAssaultSiteA.jpg

And last but not least, remember that little ambush spot I mentioned for the CT's, here's the view :)

de_MiningAssaultTheCave.jpg

Ok, there's a little teaser, I hope to have this ready for a map night within the next week or 2. Feel free to toss any suggestions based upon these pics.

For those who are curious, here's what I have left:

1) Adjust lighting for dark areas

2) Add bombsite decals/directions

3) Add more debris, random areas

4) I also will probably add a little more cover for the T's in the cave entrace

Edited by Ice_Berge_00

Sounds good so far. Definately increase the lighting, perhaps add some spotlights attached to the rock pointing to various areas outside. Look forward to trying it out. Also if you trying to go for a dusk type timeframe, maybe change the sky to one that matches.

I'm kinda thinking about the dusk time look, the trouble is finding documentation on ANYTHING. Since the tools are so new there still isn't a whole lot of documentation for features/components/resources.

One of the hardest parts is finding those models/images and backgrounds you want because they aren't listed anywhere I've been able to find. I still have a couple things to look through but it all takes time.

As for the lighting, that's something I'm working on, you can kinda see from the one pic inside the cave that I've started doing that. What you can't see is the near pitch black to the left of there. More work to do :)

(edited)

Let me share a few sites with some nice info for models and such I use.

first up is http://forum.interlopers.net/viewtopic.php?t=1845

this site has the list of all the models in HL2 and CS that you can use. Do an ctrl+F to search through when your looking for something imparticular.

Now for the skybox, if you browse the textures and add the filter sky, you will see all the choices. Write down the one you like without the last part for direction... example is sky_day03_06 which is a nice dusk setting, and change it in the map properties.

A few more quick links with some nice stuff on them.

http://www.gamewag.com/hl2.html

http://www.akilling.org/akg/default.asp?akg=tutall

http://www.snarkpit.net/editing.php

The last one also has a forum with lots of other useful info.

Edited by PYRO

• 3 weeks later...

I'd like to thank everyone that was able to play my map this past weekend. I wanted to get it into the mapnight since I"ll be gone this weekend.

I'd also like to thank everyone for the suggestions and ideas they had for the map. I"m working on a second beta of the map for a map night soon. I've already fixed the problem with T spawn points. Unfortunatley I had a couple located well outside of the map, hence the problems a few pople had.

I've done a few graphical enhancements on it as well, and some detailing in various areas. Hopefully I"ll get another set of pics up soon. As I'm posting this the map is compiling on my other computer.

Also, thanks Pyro for the links. The model one sure came in handy for the beta last week. Also I'll toss the links into the CS:S map making guide that I"m putting together. It's a list of various resources for making maps.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys,

Thought I'd give you all a little update since I haven't said much lately about my project. I've been soo buys I haven't had a lot of time to put into the map but I"ve been thinking about ideas for it.

I expect to have the final version out soon, I'm not sure of the exact date but hopefully not too much longer. I've started doing idea's for my next map as well so I'm anxious to move onto that project as well.

Well, that's all for now I think.

Very cool map Berge, in its current form that we played on the latest custom map night.. (last Sat?) There were a few critiques i prepped for you.

1: the map seems fairly small. It really actually isnt.. it just sorta seems very secluded, the action almost always goes down at the bomb sites and rushes seem to be the way to play the map (not to say another technique isn't feasible, but the small size of the map seems to encourage this) I'd love to see a slightly elongated version of the map.

2: The map also seems pretty simple. That really isnt a bad thing - i like simple.. theres only 3 ways to go and they tie in together rather nicely. the sniping nest for CT's in the middle is a nice touch. the jagged rocks we're all done pretty well and the boxes in both bomb sites worked out well. Good cover.

Thanks K-Wix,

You're right that is feels smaller than it really is. Part of this was by design, I wanted the bombsites to be where the major fights went on.

I'm going to adjust the bombsites a little to help the CTs out to help with stopping rushes. I've also got a little adjustment to site B that should help out CTs for when after the bomb is planted. There is a problem that I have to fix yet with the wall in Site A and the T spawn fades in and out with the lighting.

Last night was the biggest differential between wins that I've seen on the map. Most of the games have been fairly close.