Please help me!

*BiGBonES**

As some of you may or may not know, I've set myself up with a new PC at college to find out that the jerks that run the college internet don't allow online gaming (or teamspeak or x-fire aswell).

So having come to terms with this I go out and buy half-life 1 as I never managed to complete that game, getting home eager to play. I'm happy to the point where it tells me that its trying to connect to steam so I can register my CD key! I was unaware that I needed to connect to steam whilst playing this game, it wasn't like this in the old days, so I nearly punch my screen in. (It won't let me connect to steam because the %$^$%$'s have blocked it).

Anyway, what I need help with:

I guess I need to change/ get round these ports that they have blocked, but I don't have a clue where to start. I tried running this online scan that SJ told me about, but it keeps telling me the server is offline : http://www.broadbandreports.com/scan

So, how would I go about trying to get round this blockage? I'm willing to do anything that is not necessarily legal. (I'd even throw bricks through their windows with violent messages :shrug03: lol). I've already wrote a long e-mail asking them to explain themselves and direct me to the part of their conditions that disallows games but they havent responded. I'm going to go and see them when I calm down a bit, I've spent about £150 on getting this computer + new monitor + hl1 so im not the best pleased that its all for nothing.

Cutting a long problem short, how can I get round these blocked ports? (please go easy on me, I really don;t understand much about ports at all).

Thanks, bigbones.

P.S. If someone gets this to work I'll seriously send them about $15 over paypal because these college admin guys are just %£^%$^£$^£$^$£%^£$^$^$%£^$£^.

Thanks again :D

Edited by *BiGBonES**

Well, one option that's guaranteed to work in your case is to bring your computer over to a friend's place (that isn't on the school's network). Then have steam authenticate, and always "start in offline mode" from that point on.

Oh, and you can keep your $15 and invest in some anger management classes. :P

if you have a friend off campus, can't he setup machine to listen on a port he has access to, then that machine can redirct all the data to your machine(on port you have open) Something like a VPN eh?

Have you considered seducing a network admin? Or as a close alternative, making friends with one and having them open the port for your IP.

Oh, another thought -- does your school have any kind of gaming league or computer club you could get into? There are bound to be other CS players at your school, maybe some have found a good workaround for it.

I did find a guy who was playing cs with a few guys in his dorm. It was a 4 man lan type thing so I took my compy over and spent a couple of hours trying to connect to the network because some of the cables were bust then we had to install wireless. Then after such a relief I couldn'y connect to their server because they are all running the source engine number 5 and mines number 7 or something. They obvously didnt catch the latest updates before going to college.