DSL Problems

Scenario: I had DSL working fine through my phone lines for 6 months. One day it decides to quit working. Figured it was the modem so had the company send me a new modem. It has been down for 2 months (off and on kinda-see later in the story).

What's actually going on: I have been on the phone with the provider and my phone company at least 20 times (literally) in the last two months and no one can tell me what's wrong. I ran a new phone line to my comp room because I was having to route a long phone cord through the hallway and they said that could be the problem...NO...Had the phone company come out and they told me I ran the wrong kind of wire, so I ran a new CAT-5 line up to my comp room....NO fix...Here is the weird thing. Right now, I am connected by running a phone cord straight from my modem, out my back window and straight into the phone company's box out back. If you are familiar with the box, you will know that there is essentially a phone jack in it with a bar that connects to it. You connect your wires for your phones to the bar, plug it into the jack and you have phone service. The only way I can get connected is to unplug that bar, thus disconnecting all of my phones and rendering them useless, and pluging the before mentioned cord straight into the box.

Does anyone have any other ideas on why my modem won't connect while the phone lines are pluged in? I have filters on all my phones, I have run a brand new CAT-5 wire to an outlet into my comp room. The phone company SAYS that the house wiring checks out fine. Anyone have any ideas?

If this is Qwest we are talking about you should cancel service immediately and order cable. If cable isn't available I'd rather go dial-up than deal with Qwest idiots. I swear they pull thier people right off the street and hook a headset on their ear.

Regardless, if you are paying for DSL service you should be getting DSL service. Tell them to come out and fix it for no charge, and you want your 2 months of no-service refunded.

LMAO, you have dealt with Qwest before I see Homer. Yeah, that's who it is and unfortunately cable is not available. At the current moment, for no other reason than it just wants to, it is actually working, I changed nothing, it just decided it would like to connect right now. I have been refudned for the two months of no service, but if anyone has any ideas that might stabilize my connection let me know please.

Guest ZDamage
Guest ZDamage
Guest ZDamage
Guests

Call Qwest, and tell them to check there network and server settings. I had a similar issue with Verizon < GTE at the time of the merger. Well, my dsl went to crap and i fought them for 6 months. I then sued them and got my money back. What happened? Selling more bandwidth than they had. I wouldn't recommend verizon dsl to anyone. I used to work for Qwest, from my understanding they no longer do dsl.

Bandit, where do you live? In most cases, the LEC or local phone company handles your LOCAL LOOP or the copper at your place that handles the connection. Find out if they are having problems unless you are west coast and Qwest is now your provider.

Could be a number of things. One is that you happen to be on the edge of the DSL distance. I think it's like 4 miles from the central office. A friend at work had DSL at the distance and had very sporatic connections. It could be an issue of overselling. There could be something on your line from pre-DSL causing issues. When I had DSL they had to remove a signal booster from my line that was used because there wasn't an office close enough so for voice they boosted the signal. The booster was at the street.

ntelos screwed me with dsl, I ordered it and i ping 120 to EVERYWHERE! I called them up the next day and told them to cancel my subscription. They kept sending me around in circles. 20 phone calls, a bill for $350 and 3 months later they finally turned it off. Then I had to call 20 times to convince them they are wasting their time if they are trying to get me to pay for 3-4 months of service and a disconnect fee. I ended up having to pay 5 dollars in taxes :lol: