HL2 and CSS

TheReverend(c)

• 4 weeks later...
Just recieved a new 200gig Seagate sata hdd. I read in an earlier post that there may be problems or conflicts using these drives with HL2 or CSS. I thought it was either Stuttering John or Voodoo not sure. Anyone have these issues? :D

:unsure: News to me. I've been using a SATA drive ever since I built my current pc. Which has been a year ago. Haven't had any issues at all.

yep, it was me (and hence the name).

it was an intel chipset (845) and a seagate sata hard drive having issues. i could get around it by using an ide is my primary master, and used the 200gb drive for data storage. i'd have to disable the sata drives to 3d things...it wasn't just hl2 specific. any 3d app (doom3, opengl winamp plugin, hl2, sims, etc) would lock the system. about 6 months deep, i finally caved and just bought an amd.

testimonials like lunk's killed me, because they're more than common. seagate wouldn't rma the drive b/c it passed all the diagnostic tests, and via wouldn't rma the board because via sucks. :D

i was pretty convinced at the time that it was specific to the 845, but could never prove it.

yep, it was me (and hence the name).

it was an intel chipset (845) and a seagate sata hard drive having issues. i could get around it by using an ide is my primary master, and used the 200gb drive for data storage. i'd have to disable the sata drives to 3d things...it wasn't just hl2 specific. any 3d app (doom3, opengl winamp plugin, hl2, sims, etc) would lock the system. about 6 months deep, i finally caved and just bought an amd.

testimonials like lunk's killed me, because they're more than common. seagate wouldn't rma the drive b/c it passed all the diagnostic tests, and via wouldn't rma the board because via sucks. :D

i was pretty convinced at the time that it was specific to the 845, but could never prove it.

Cool. I have an AMD hopefully it wont happen to me when Im up and running again. Thanx. :D

• 2 weeks later...
Cool. I have an AMD hopefully it wont happen to me when Im up and running again. Thanx. :D

Yup, you should be good to go. I have an AMD system, and am running SATA with nary a problem. Of course, most of the other people in CSS seem to enjoy shooting me, and appear amazingly adept at avoiding my "spray and pray" 1337ness. :blink::freak:

Yup, you should be good to go. I have an AMD system, and am running SATA with nary a problem. Of course, most of the other people in CSS seem to enjoy shooting me, and appear amazingly adept at avoiding my "spray and pray" 1337ness. :blink::freak:

Actually your spray and pray should actually be hitting people. Its a CS thing. All hail the P90 Chainsaw! :D