build problems

ishmael

i'm building a socket 754 athlon 3000+ on a gigabyte GA-K8U motherboard for my stepmothers retirement. i've got it breadboarded out right now and the power is hooked up. i've kept it as barebones as possible with only the one dimm of ram in it and no ide or agp card in it for video.

when i hit the power, the fan gives a little spin but nothing else. the power is going through the mother board because i can see the ram led on the motherboard come on.

ideas?

it sounds like a short to me, but this isn't the first board that had those symptoms. i had another one(same model) do the exact same thing, except it wasn't spinning up at all and the power led didn't come on. so, more or less the same.

i've tested the ram in another machine and it works, i've also tried switching it between different ram dimms. that didn't work.

i'm trying to figure out if there is something with the processor maybe...

gigabyte is offically useless. their tech support page has a broken submit button for asking a question and the phone line isn't even a 800 and is long distance.

i'm trying to get this done quickly because i have to leave town soon, any help would be appreciated.

unfortunately no, the only person i know with a socket 754 isn't picking up his phone. my other systems are 939 or older socket A. i'm trying to get in touch with him now and get him to let me use his machine to test everything, but thus far- nothing.

(edited)

Does the power turn the fan around a few times when you flip on the PSU? but not turn on at all when you hit the power button. I bet its your power switch. Flip around the connector on the motherboard and give it a try.

i ran into this problem about 2 days ago with my build. I have the most ghetto rig. The switch went bad, so in order to turn my machine on, I have to touch the two wires that are connected to the pin.

Edited by NOFX