Laz's AMD build. Start to finish.

Laz.e.rus

correct. Except that top fan is now laying on the floor of the case at an angle making it an intake throught the bottom 2 drive bays. It blows at the angle across chipset towards cou.

The drive bay fan is still intake but I reversed the bay AND the fan so its closer and still blowing inward. ( double reversed). Its mounted so there are 2 open bays beneath it ( which the 90mm old top fan is now using for intake)

if you can take a pic. i think i get it. i have my two raptors in the cage next to the power supply with the fan sucking air across them and out of the case. the top fan is long gone sold with my xp90.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

digi cam got stolen last week....

looking in the side window...

8 inches to the right of the cpu is the blue 120 blwing exacly straight across the cpu. It looks like I jsut turned the front drive cage around ( which I did), but I had to reverse the fan too so it still blows inward.

The cage is mounted so underneath it are two open bays. ( use to have a drawer thing in one)

So, propped against the bottom of the 120, is the 90mm from the top. Its facing and blowing directly across shipset to cpu. It intakes from teh floor area ( from the 2 slots beneath the 3bay cage holding the 120)

IF i moved the front 120 up one bay, the 2 120s would be blowing in a straight line across cpu ( intake/exhaust), but this didnt move enough of the gpu/chipset air, so I lowered it slightly lower than the exhaust 120

yeah, that gpu exhaust INTO the center of the case is kinda nasty.

blowing 48c air almost rt on the chipset, then floating up to the cpu area. That 90 I have at the angle is really helping though. Cool intake air mixing it before pushing it away.

Right now at idle at 2.6Ghz Im 31cpu/37 pwm/ 40 !! chipset.

that's awesome man! pretty soon you'll start kicking yourself cause you didn't go with a 170 for that 10x multi. :D

either way you'll be smoking me in source now. in fps anyway. i'll still pwn you.

hahah

Id really like to hit and be stable at 3.0

I dont mind backing off to 2.7 or 2.8 after that, but I just wanna stabalized at 3 :)

Big Tyhpoon should be here today.

My volts are coming up FAST though. Its jsut like they say.

Went from 1.8 to 2.55 Ghz on 1.375 vcore.

From 2.55 to 2.85 up to 1.475 :(

I think Ill push it to 1.55 if temps stay down, but I dont wanna go higher than that.

(edited)

lol i missed your post about the digi cam til now. interesting setup. i have the dual 120s in the bottom 6 bays. you might want to look at the zalman vf900 for your gpu... or possibly an nvsilencer to exhaust the air out the back.

big typhoon should help out on temps. you may find you can drop your temps further by "popping the top". haven't done it on mine but i'm more tempted every day.

Edited by Cujo

Im capping out at 2.8ish.

Pushing vcore to 1.55 didnt help with stablilty at 2.88 Ghz

If I change some of the alternate settings ( ie ldt voltage etc) will that help my cpu freq/ Vcore ratio?

If I dont find a way to stablilze that thing and increase the htt without more volts Im gonna be done. Im not going higher than 1.55 on air even if temps stay down. They say cap at 1.6 - 1.65 but thats Short-lifespan range.

Cmon, all I need is 333.3 on the htt. SOooo close.

333 on a 3/4 divider for the ram with a x3 htt multi =

3.0 Ghz at 999 (x2=1998 Perfect), with 250 (stock) on the ram. Talk about beautiful!!... but the volts...any ideas?

it's cause there's less air making it through the bt to the pwmic. your old heatsink was probably causing more air movement. one way to solve this is to put a more powerful fan on your bt. for example i have one spinning at 1700rpm and pwmic never passes 53c. 55c is still reasonable though. you could also rig something up to make a fan sit right above the pwmic and blow on it directly.

how much did the bt drop your cpu temps?

only bout 2c.

May have to reseat it. Also, its hard to gauge tension on that mobo. Im afraid to crank too hard or Ill pull that spacer nut through the cheesy washer thrugh the mobo.

I considered tossing the instructions, and keeping my back plate on. Still not sure I shouldnt have done that instead.

That monster case fan I got is a 2029(?). LED 120 95cfm. I jsut might swap that puppy on there and use the default orange one as my exhaust.

Im running into a few other issues driving me nuts too. I dont think I change anything, but I must have. Not 32M stable at 2.8+ anymore.

DUnno what I messed up, but back to the drawing board.

those are the ones I meant.

I did the instructions:

I put the sponge/mylar/backplate on back.

Put bolts through back. Then in front put cardboard washer things, then spacers, then H plate, then little nuts.

I think Im gonn ahave to reseat it. I just switched fans.

At only 2.7Ghz with 1.425 vcore, Im running :

43-44c cpu, 54 pwmic, 43 chipset. with dual prime 95 running ( warm room)

Something is up with that pwmic...no idea what yet.

Thats with a 120 cpu fan at 2700 rpm!!!

42/53/44 after reseating. At 2.7G with 1.4 vcore and 2.67 dram.

Cujo,

would you mind running dual prime for 15-20 mins and see what your temps max at? Im going by your max on your MBM chart above to gauge mine, but I doubt you ran dual prime during that time.

At least 15 mins tho, takes that long for my pwmic to get to temp.

As they are it doesnt look to bad. But with plans to add to vcore and bump the freq, as well as will prolly need a little to dram to hold once I bring that up to speed, its only gonna go up from here.

Heres my thinking, if those are your max temps above for regular use/gaming etc, but you go up 4c for dual prime or something, I can take that into effect for my temps.

Mk

New update.

Im at 2.7 Ghz (300x9). Ram at 245.5. Htt at x3.

Stable Superpi 1m,32M. Dual primed both cores for about 2 hours no errors.

Vcore: 1.4v

dram: 2.73v

idle temps: 27C cpu, 34C PWMIC, 39C chipset

Load temps (dual prime): 42C cpu, 50C pwm, 44C chipset

Ran 3dmark05:

Score: 9027

GT 1: 40

2: 27.3

3: 43.2

CPU score: 7565

1- 3.4

2- 7.4

Temps seemed cooler than dual prime, but only got after-sample as I dont have both monitors on rt now.

Think Im gonna hold up here for a bit and take a break.

As a gaming rig, this thing is a MONSTER and I love it!!

As an OC hobby to see how far I can push it, I need to relax for a bit :)

Future upgrades:

Single Large HDD

soundcard

Evga stepup: Trade in my 7900gt for a 7950GX2 as soon as I get some more feedback on sli-dr compatiblility ( all positive so far)... 2 GPUs and a gig of vid ram..Urk

Used monitor to use as 2ndary as Mindy will have the spare.

End results:

A resounding WOOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

overclocking is like a drug. once you start it's hard to stop. you definately have a monster gaming rig with the 1mb cache. you probably get better fps then me in source.

• 2 weeks later...

Mk.

clocked down to 2.6 for the moment, then Im gonna work up from there.

Check out these temps/voltages under stress!! I need to fasten a new fan directly over pwmic, and then I shouls be good for some more heat too.

dualp1.jpg <-- test still running and shows temps/voltages

dualp2.jpg <-- after stopped test

Just DLd it. Ill check it in a few here. Looks useful alright.

Im still picking up some issue at the 2.7 mark. Superpis are fine all day long, but prime keeps failing. Ive a hunch its a ram-settings and voltage thing, cuz I really cant see this chip having issues when its pulling off what you see above.

I think once I find it, itll be fine from 2.7 through 3.0. Its just the finding it part ...... :)

Hmm. I added a 80mm over the pwmic, stressing now at 42/47/41. Also, Im typing this at 2.88 Ghz. Superpi ok, but dual prime crashes in a few mins. Shrug, here we go again :)

Havent updated in a bit. While Ive been playing games above 2.8, Im trying to be 8hrs Dual prime stable. So I clocked down to 2.7. My last attempt failed at 4 hours both cores.

Made soem more cooling changes too.

Im dual priming again rt now @ 2.7Ghz. Load temps are

43-45C cpu/ 41 C pwmic/ 38C chipset

ram @ 2.6v + .3, cpu at 1.275 x 110% = 1.441vcore.

Funny stuff OCing.

If I wouldve been happy with 2.5 Ghz +/- that took no work at all. Dont even think I changed anything except the htt multi lol.

But I want at least 2.81 Ghz+. I "NEED" to beat the FX62 ( only thing close with 2M L2 cache) and thats a $1100-$1200 chip !

My cooling thus far

The intake 120 in top rt is actually at the case front about 6 inches further to the rt. The lower 120 on the rt is drawn in the appropriate spot/ distance from MB.

Not included is the 90mm exhaust fan at top left near PSU, and the PSU's 120mm exhaust fan.

post-1100-1152820900_thumb.jpg

getting upset..

still cant dual prime stable at 2.7 ( 4 hours max)

changed bios to OCZ tonys 704

Went to ocz forums...went through it all with them

They said its prolly my chip maxxing out. This REALLY irked me so I did a lil test for them.

I set my ram to 1/2 divider and all autos, then bumped my cpu to 2.953Ghz.

Get this ..I couldnt boot to windows BUT..I noticed on the spash screen I was running 2-2-5-2- timings. So I went back, loosened em up to 3-4-8-4-12-24 ( still on a 1/2 divider!!)...

Then I ran SuperPI1m and passed both cores at 2.953 Ghz.

I had to loosen the timings on a 1/2 and then passed at 2.953, but its the cpu?????? Grrr