Maps taking forever to load.

And im pretty sure this is to blame.

SetConVar: No such cvar ( mani_nextmap set to de_cpl_fire), skipping

SetConVar: No such cvar ( mani_tickrate set to 100), skipping

SetConVar: No such cvar ( mani_reserve_slots set to 1), skipping

CMaterial::LoadVMTFile: can't open "materials/maps/de_nuke/glass/glasswindowbreak070b_1112_-824_-344.vmt"

CMaterial::PrecacheVars: error loading vmt file for maps/de_nuke/glass/glasswindowbreak070b_1112_-824_-344

CMaterial::LoadVMTFile: can't open "materials/maps/de_nuke/glass/glasswindowbreak070b_640_-128_-606.vmt"

CMaterial::PrecacheVars: error loading vmt file for maps/de_nuke/glass/glasswindowbreak070b_640_-128_-606

Begin loading faces (loads materials)

End loading faces (loads materials)

Initializing renderer...

CMaterial::LoadVMTFile: can't open "materials/maps/de_nuke/glass/glasswindowbreak070b_1112_-824_-344.vmt"

CMaterial::PrecacheVars: error loading vmt file for maps/de_nuke/glass/glasswindowbreak070b_1112_-824_-344

CMaterial::LoadVMTFile: can't open "materials/maps/de_nuke/glass/glasswindowbreak070b_640_-128_-606.vmt"

CMaterial::PrecacheVars: error loading vmt file for maps/de_nuke/glass/glasswindowbreak070b_640_-128_-606

And im pretty sure this is to blame.

SetConVar: No such cvar ( mani_nextmap set to de_cpl_fire), skipping

SetConVar: No such cvar ( mani_tickrate set to 100), skipping

SetConVar: No such cvar ( mani_reserve_slots set to 1), skipping

Begin loading faces (loads materials)

End loading faces (loads materials)

Initializing renderer...

If you are using XP, I think it is the prefetch. Some maps take forever to load if I haven't played them in a couple of days. If I've played it in the same day, it loads really quick. I haven't found a way around this though.

nuke and militia take forever because of the HDR....

what is really dumb is that even with HDR turned off, it STILL takes forever.

this can be solved by replacing both maps with

cs_havana

and

de_chateau

in the rotation.

what is HDR and how do i turn it off. Im a performance man way before anything else.

HDR is High Dynamic Range lighting. You can easily tell if it's on if the brightness of stuff on the screen changes while you're playing, e.g. you walk outside and it's too bright, then it dims a bit slowly.

HDR = High Dynamic Range... I think Gabe and his crew explains how the whole thing works in the Lost Coast map better than I could here - just turn on the commentary and give it a run. The reason HDR maps take longer to load though, is pretty simple: the textures have more data in them. It's not more data in the usual height, width, or detail though - it's more data in colour depth (kinda like 256 colour GIF vs 24-bit JPEG). That's why you get a framerate boost from turning off HDR (your system won't render it), but the map still takes long to load (because it still uses the same larger HDR textures).

Now, tuning your system for optimum map-loading performance can be a fair bit of work. Still, perhaps the easiest and most effective tweaks are the simplest! If you don't care too much about a visual quality loss, then put in mat_specular 0 and mat_bumpmap 0 in your configuration. Those are two very large sets of textures that you won't have to load, but they're unfortunately a large part of what makes Source visually stand out from the old Half-Life engine.

Here's a few other things that can speed loading performance:

-Faster hard disk

-Better partitioning - dedicated Steam, Windows, and Swap partitions near the start of the drive

-Best IDE/SATA drivers available for your motherboard/controller card

-Windows tweaks - there's a million of 'em, and but they will add up eventually

-Different OS - Windows 2003 and XP64 are better at disk I/O and memory management

I used to get bumped out of the CS:S server at the end of a map because people could join halfway during the mapchange and still beat me into the game! Now I'm often the first one in, and that's still on an IDE drive, too! :D