World Cup 06

Vovik

Where in Ukraine are you going Vovik?

My hometown - Kiev

me loves futbol. When does it start? I knew it was this summer, just figured it was several months off still, hadn't done much looking into it.

Group stages are going to be in June. We're in Group H. Spain is our main competition. Well, at least we got the best footballer on the planet on our team :D

USA is in Group E. You got Italy and Czech Republic to worry about

I love soccer... I have a 10'x8' Dutch Flag on my wall :D . Netherlands has got it fairly easy, only need to beat Argentina to win Groups Stages... Vovik who is the best player thats on Ukraine?

Ariene Robben is the best player or Rud Van Nisterooy!

GO NETHERLANDS GO!

I love soccer... I have a 10'x8' Dutch Flag on my wall :D . Netherlands has got it fairly easy, only need to beat Argentina to win Groups Stages... Vovik who is the best player thats on Ukraine?

Ariene Robben is the best player or Rud Van Nisterooy!

GO NETHERLANDS GO!

SHEVCHENKO!!! Last Year's Golden Boot winner!

PS. I don't call it soccer, it's football

Oh yeah....just Argentina to beat.....good luck :twitch:

SHEVCHENKO!!! He's not a bad player but Ronaldhino is better and he won the 2005 Fifa Player of the Year.

As for beating Argentina, statistically Netherlands has a better team and has proven it over and over again.

World Rankings: 1. Brazil

2. Czech Republic

3. NETHERLANDS :D

4. Argentina

As for Champions League, I was watching Barcelona vs Chelsea and even though the score was 1-1 Barcelona dominated that match and should have easily won 2-0 if not more. Now if only Ajax could get by Inter Milan do get into the Quarter Finals.

I'm going to have to watch this, but I don't know much about futbol so if you guys keep posting up then I can have something to say at the bar...I'll sound so smart!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone watch the Arsenal vs Juventus match or the Barcelona vs Benfica match? Juventus is so screwed and i cant believe Barcelona didnt win their match...they hit the post 4 times and had the keeper beat on atleast 12 or so other occasions

im a little mad about the groupings this year, the USA didnt get the 1st palce vote they should have and it was given to Mexico instead, even though the USA won the CONCACAF and beat Mexico, that was a bad move and i know it was done because people of the world arent ready to accept the USA as a country that can play futbal. so anyway yea we end up with some hard teams but then again we had to deal with this in 2002 also. and with the loss to germany (4-1) and italy beating germany (4-1) people are thinking the USA arent that strong but they fail to see that almost no starters were playing in that game for the USA. I think though there is alot of pressure on Germany and England, of course Germany since they are hosting but for England its due to the fact that they have not had such a strong team in awhile. I hope to see some upsets of course id like to not see Brazil in the finals......

These are the groupings btw........

1. Germany

2. Costa Rica

3. Poland

4. Ecuador

1. England

2. Paraguay

3. Trinidad & Tobago

4. Sweden

1. Argentina

2. Ivory Coast

3. Serbia & Montenegro

4. Netherlands

1. Mexico

2. Iran

3. Angola

4. Portugal

1. Italy

2. Ghana

3. United States

4. Czech Republic

1. Brazil

2. Croatia

3. Australia

4. Japan

1. France

2. Switzerland

3. South Korea

4. Togo

1. Spain

2. Ukraine

3. Tunisia

4. Saudi Arabia

Im sorry to say this but I will be shocked if the USA team even makes it out of the group stage.... and yes I am one of those people that can not believe that USA is even top 10 in World Rankings....but then again I have been shocked before.

not only r they top 10 but #5 which is a first, but give them credit they have worked hard and bruce arena is an awsome coach, i think th elast world cup really helped them, but also jurgen klinsman one of germanys best players ever said that germany shoudlnt have won that game.....anyway itll be neatt o see what happens

btw i love futbol, played for 19yrs before i blew my knee out and was part of the maryalnd state ODP team

Shall we explain the offside rule to you witt? :biglaugha:

Hey, I know what offsides in 'football' is!

Could you explain the finer points of the tuck rule for me? Or point out the weak spot in a Cover 3 defense?

Sorry witt, we invented our game of football long before you invented yours, therefore I win, and dont have to explain them funny american terms that you are going on about :luxhello:

tkc im watching arsenal v juventus second leg right now. Dont be shocked, an english team won the champions league last year and are bound to win it again this year :blink:

And finally- theres no chance of england winning the world cup. We havent got that sort of luck that is required to win competitions this big :wavey:

I see, it's popular b/c it's simple...

Soccer is actually simple game, but the players make it incredibly hard. But the same could be said about american football in a way.

One would think that american football involves more extra work off the pitch, like drawing up tactics and trying to get passed the other teams defence, but the same applies to soccer. Managers will sit their players down for hours at a time and analyse the other teams defensive and attacking strong points, then look at weaknesses. They will come up with plans to take out the other teams most influential players, goal keepers will study who takes free kicks and what way they like to bend the ball, and what side of the goal they will usually aim for.

Soccer is not about just buying amazing players and sticking them on the pitch. A perfect example is the case of chelsea, a london team. A russian billionaire took over the club and literally gave them an unlimited supply of money to spend on players. The manager does this, buys amazing players, but they still dont top the english league table, they finish second. This shows that in soccer you have to bind the team together, and select a team who play off each other with great team spirit. This year chelsea are at the top of the league because they bought possibly the best manager in the world (definitely the most arrogant) and he has made a good selection of players and has really made the team one big unit.

Also soccer has tactical issues just like american football, but not as many. For example, corners and freekicks need planning to try and achieve a maximum impact on the other team. A good example would be where a free kick is being taken, and you get your teams best guys to pile in the box, so they get marked by the other teams best defenders. Then you aim the freekick at one of your less skilled players, who is not expected to get the ball and therefore is not as heavily marked, and with this extra space he is able to get the ball in the back of the net. Loads of little tricks go on like this.

So soccer is a simple game, but it has a lot more to it than getting the ball in the back of the net. I'm not trying to say american football is not simple, its probably just as complicated. Where you get two professional teams in any sport trying to outsmart and outperform each other, nothing is 'simple'. But yeah soccer is better ;)

love Manchester United and will always be loyal to them as i am to DC United for MLS. and i know that Chelsea is now involved witht he LA Galaxy of them MLS in some way or will be i havent read up on it so my details are not good at the moment. Also soccer or futball or whatever you would like to call it depending on where you are from will be the only "true" world sport. It is knowen as the worlds greatest sport. And for myself a player of 19yrs and wanting to be a coach i know that it is not a simple game and yes finding out about another team and its players what they do how they move set plays everything it takes alot. thats why i say Bruce Arena is an amaizing coach considering what he has done for team USA before he came we were the joke of soccer.

• 2 weeks later...

Arsenal through to the final! I'm kinda happy and sad, as if Arsenal win the champions league it means that the team I support will not get through to next years champions league, but at the same time I really want an English club to bring the trophy back home to England for a second year running. If tottenham, my club, do get into the champions league next year, then it probably won't be worth it as at the moment we are not quite good enough to compete with the top european teams, so I guess I just want Arsenal to loose so I can wind up their fans when ever a football debate comes up