24 pin power connector for a 28 pin slot?

Preacher

(edited)

Got everything all in the case and went to connect the power supply to the motherboard and what do I see? A 24 pin slot and a 20 pin power cable! My first though was that it needed the 4 pin 12v connector but low and behold there is a 4 pin slot over next to the cpu socket.

Do I need to order a new power supply of can I use the one I have leaving the 4 pins empty?

Fast help is preferable

Edited by Preacher

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

It may work empty. I honestly have never heard of a 28-pin mobo connector before. What board is it?

yeah my bad I need a 24 pin not a 28. I found that x-connect released a 24 pin power cable so I already ordered one. I read a ton online earlier with conflicting stuff. Some said that the extra four pins were for future expansion and a few claimed to have burnt out their board due to not using the proper cable. I will err on the side of caution since I'm too poor to buy another mobo.

sometimes it'll work without and sometimes it's required. either way if your psu doesn't have the right connector i would look to upgrading. adapters are only half a solution as they put more strain on the power supply's 20 pins. we sell them where i work and it just looks like a cheap work around. not a real solution.