cpu fan speed problems

Vovik

Yeah, so yesterday my comp restarted cause apparently cpu temp got too high. I was surprised cause so far it's been stable with my overclocked settings.

I checked in EVEREST for temps and cpu fan speeds and noticed that my cpu fan speed is now constant 2500 rpm contrary to going up to 3500 rpm when going higher than 50C+. And today I can't even start my comp overclocked cause temps go too high on restart and I gotta run it on stock speeds which is unbearable for css.

Is there anything I could do to fix it. Maybe some program like ATI Tool only for Intel processors that can control fan speed or something? Or my only option is to buy aftermarket fan/heatsink?

I'll probably really won't even be able to play css cause even at stock my cpu temps gonna go high with no cooling and it'll restart (didn't happen yet tho)

(edited)

what size fan? 80mm,92mm? I happen to have one of each left over after my build. I have a thermaltake Blue LED UV 80mm Smartfan with a manual or auto fan speed connector and a 92mm TT Silent Cat that puts out 52.24 CFM of airflow pretty quietly 21db. I have another silent cat as my current cpu fan on my thermalright 92c heatsink :D.

I'ld be willing to sell em to you fairly cheap or trade you for something.

Edited by Preacher

I don't know yet Preach, I'ma troubleshoot some more, I'll definitely give you a holla if I decide on new heatsinks and fans.

Right now I think that heat from processor doesn't get to heatsink properly and that's why fan doesn't feel it needs to run faster...yeah. I'ma get some thermal compoud to put on proc to see if it will make a difference.

It runs at 57-60C in just windows (basically idle), this used to be a full load temp. And it can't even run stock speeds of memory, it puts it down automatically to 320Mhz.....not good. At least I can browse the net....yeeaaaah

(edited)
I don't know yet Preach, I'ma troubleshoot some more, I'll definitely give you a holla if I decide on new heatsinks and fans.

Right now I think that heat from processor doesn't get to heatsink properly and that's why fan doesn't feel it needs to run faster...yeah. I'ma get some thermal compoud to put on proc to see if it will make a difference.

It runs at 57-60C in just windows (basically idle), this used to be a full load temp. And it can't even run stock speeds of memory, it puts it down automatically to 320Mhz.....not good. At least I can browse the net....yeeaaaah

My system gets up to 36 under extreme load lol, but I do have this case , this heatsink , cpu fan, , one of these , one of these , and of course my exaust fan

All in all it's overkill but a cool PC is a happy PC. Also to not my PC runs at about 29db, which is a little loud but not as loud as my old power supply fan ( 36db ).

Let me know if you need anything. I'm trying to part out all my old stuff and I forgot to mention that the 2 80MM Thermaltake Smart Fans are new-in-box. I got them for my current PC but found out that it would support the 120mm fans in the rear (modified the case housing on the 130mm fan to fit).

Oh and I also happen to have a Ultra Bay Cooler w/ red face that I no longer need.

Edited by Preacher

my experience with overclocking is to clean out your CPU fan regularaly. I could run at 240 stable, but the longer the dust collected inside, the lower I would have to clock it, eventally I couldn't run at 230 stable. A can of air and Im back to normal

well, applying new thermal compound paste didn't help much. shed some degrees down but fan still rotats strictly at 2500rpm.....argh. at least i can run my comp at stock right now but it's lame cause i turned all settings down in css....:(

I don't know if I'm gonna get new heatsink and fan (more likely) or just get an amd and run it with my unused asrock mobo (less likely cause of money).

Might be that your fan is dying too. Might not be able to get up to the top speed.

I think your best bet at this point is a new hsf. You can pick one up fairly cheaply, either online (www.monarchcomputers.com -FragFest sponsor :boing: www.newegg.com, or other online retailer of your choice) or at any local computer store.

Thermaltake silent boost has a great heatsink, fan might not push enough fair to support a heavy overclock, but any 80mm fan will fit on top of it.