dvd combo burners

Laz.e.rus

Why such a huge diff in dvd/cd burner combos?

The only diff I seen in them really is:

2 or 8 MB cahce

slot or standard

beige or black

speeds roughly the same etc etc

I could see SOME variance for some of the differences, but 22-175 price range? WHY?!

2 or 8 MB cahce

slot or standard

beige or black

I could see SOME variance for some of the differences, but 22-175 price range? WHY?!

A lot of the factors with cost in optical drives is due to quality. Samsung OEM drives are sold at my work for $40 and they do 5x Dual 16XR/RW and even Lightscribe. If you want something like a Plextor drive expect to pay around $100. Differences being the quality of the burns you will get and the amount of coasters you will make. The interface also factors into it. I got a Plextor sata burner and it was like $115 after rebate. The cheap burners will still burn a good portion of stuff but you will notice a quality difference if you get the higher end burner. I recently modded my Gamecube as well and the samsung burner I have in one of my machines is wholly incapable of writing playable media. The Plextor on the other hand works like a charm. My advice would be to get a higher quality burner.

Guest ash-
Guest ash-
Guest ash-
Guests

2 or 8 MB cahce

slot or standard

beige or black

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16827152059

This is my burner. This baby is the TERMINATOR of cheap combo drives. I've not had a single issue with it since I bought it. $175 seems too excessive for a combo drive to me. I would not mind paying a premium for a graphics card but definitly not for a combo drive.

I just ordered the black NEC dvd burner for roughly the same price. The reviews were decent, and it was free shipping. Even if it's not perfect I'm only spending 38 bucks totall for it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16827152058

I have this burner. Cujo showed it to me awhile back when I was having issues. I havent had a bad burn on it yet!

DVD and CD.

I paid 42 bucks so it's actually down a bit.

Umm... depends, the one I bought was JUST the burner, no s/w or manual .. nadda III

I just had Windows search the drivers, and I already have Nero 6

BUT i just read in a Best Buy ad this afternoon that Nero 7 is $30 US with a $60 mail in rebate....

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

Odds are the ones you saw that were over 100 dollars were External drives. Those always cost more.