My aching computer

FroBoZZ

if it was overheating due to dirt i would think it would crash and freeze rather than run slower. i don't think hardware can do that...

It will crash or freeze if it gets too hot too fast, but otherwise, the CPU will start throttling down the speed to reduce heat, which equals slower performance. THEN it will freeze or crash! :D

Nonetheless, I agree with all others; save off your data to a DVD-R or CD-R, then reformat. If you don't already have an SP2 install disk, you may want to build your own slipstreamed SP2 install disk yourself

Well it isn't a laptop and by default AMD Cool N' Quiet is disabled so the likelihood that the cpu with throttle down its speed due to heat is pretty slim. Cujo is more correct about it just freezing / crashing. It also depends on what core it is because the Barton was a lot better about not doing things of that nature. In addition to all of this, if it was a heat/dust issue, there would probably be some sort of thermal alarm. Can't say for sure as a lot of it is dependant upon the mobo/windows/applications (MBM, SF, ETC) but it is most likely just a windows issue.

aight, just reformatted and there was no positive effects. anyone got any ideas? this is almost a 3 year old card, so unless anyone has any other thoughts, i am done with css till i get a new comp or vid card.

that sucks man. i know i could fix the problem if i had the computer in front of me. it's really tough advising people on the net cause i just want to go to their house and help them fix their problem and teach them what to do in the future.

only other thing i can suggest for now is to swap parts with buddies and see if you can solve the issue. do you play any other games? are you experiencing any issues with them?

well, none of my friends play these sort of games, so switching is outa the question. when i played cod2 and fear, i wasnt have problems like this. of course that was awhile ago. i dont know, maybe my vid cards life just ran out. my comp has been running awesome even before the reformat so i dont know wat the problem could be but a vid card problem. i am going to upgrade, hopefully this weekend, to a 512 for about 130 buks. that sound ok? give me ur imput