windows update locking up

DNA

Okay so after the new install all is well except now when I got to automatic updates it just stalls in the IE screen and no update...dont know what the deal is..looked it up on microsoft and nothing I could find helps..ANYONE??? :bang:

just for giggles (or jiggles):

in internet explorer:

tools -> internet options.

delete cookes + delete files (do both).

start -> control panel

switch to classic view

click automatic updates.

turn it to off/disable

open IE

tools -> windows update

if that doesn't work, pat your tummy while rubbing your head (and getting me a burrito).

Uninstall and reinstall IE. Try going into the Windows Security Center and enabling automatic updates and see if that works. If none of that works you probably need a clean install of XP.

otherwise, once the first screen loads, try opting for the Microsoft Update... different then windows update.

I had the same problem on a server this week... jsut switched it to Microsoft Update (updates office and windows) and it worked fine.

DNA

OKAY GOT IT....show it was sooooo out of date it took for ever to get the first update..I let the screen sit there for like 20 minutes and it did the update, and then finally did the others and then SP2...and then DirectX, and now I am done. TY all for the help....

I have one last issue...

I had one program that was on my other drive and one the new computer I put only the one drive in, and sooo now it wants to install it everytime i load or turn on the computer, and then it can not find it. I tried to uninstall it, but that does not work. How do I go about making windows not think it is there anymore in the config or something. It will not even let me reinstall it, saying missing come file..?? Help??

Try this on for size...sucka!

START > RUN > msconfig

Change it to "Selective Startup" on the first tab

Switch to "Startup" tab and then disable everything you don't need and that one program in particular. It is a good way to prevent unnecessary things from loading at startup as well.

DNA

Cool..anyway I can stop it from thinking it is there..SO i can install it again? Keeps telling me missing files, fatal error can not install and so on??