Why do you smoke?

EbilDustBunny

Don't smoke, interested (don't actually want to) in trying it once, but will never smoke.

yea, im interested in trying. some people hav school hav asked me, but i will never smoke.

GC Alumni
(edited)
I have a couple of humidors at home b/c I have a buddy in the cigar business. I smoke 1 or 2 a month, but I know guys that smoke 2-3 a day.

I would assert that because of the chemical age that dawned on us after the 2nd industrial shift in the 1950's and the founding of the modern chemical lifestyle, we have more cancer. I would be worried about what is in your air, soil, food, and water right now...because those are factors that you have little control over.

Samuel Epstein (PHD) from U of I has written several books and 100's of peer reviewed articles about the environmental toxins we are exposed to and how little we know about their effects.

Look at our grandparents and great grandparents. My grandparents were Swedish immigrants in the first decade of 1900. She worked on a farm, her husband worked for the railroad as well as farmed, her parents farmed. They smoked pipes, drank wine, ate lard, bacon, cream, fat, etc...they lived well into their 80's and never had cancer.

It was their environment. No modern petroleum lifestyle, very little driving and fuel use, no pesticides in their food and water, because none of that was used.

We are killing ourselves through our environment. When chemical detergents used in water treatment can be found in broccoli, when rocket fuel additives and PCB's can be found in rivers, lakes, soil, and heck even arctic ice, when the air we breathe contains ozone from fossil fuel consumption...that is cancer causing right there.

Did you know back in the day before the world wars... a person would only smoke like a pack of cigs a year? Now people might do like a 2-3 packs a week or even (ugh) a pack a day.

Yeah the depressing part is the a lot of things can give to cancer and other nastey things. But... it's not nessarly a good reason is it? A glass of red wine every once and awhile is actually good for you. :/

Scientists believe the antioxidants, called flavonoids, reduce the risk of coronary heart disease in three ways:

* by reducing production of low density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol (also know as the "bad" cholesterol)

* by boosting high density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol (the good cholesterol)

* by reducing blood clotting. Furthermore, consuming a glass of wine along with a meal may favorably influence your lipid profiles following that meal

Now smoking makes your vessels more narrow right? And clotting would be a issue. Would then by have a glass of red wine like once and awhile... would that possibly help. But in the end no-matter where we look there's no "safe level" for smoking... even if you smoke 1-5 cigs a day it's like triple the chances of bad stuff compared to a nonsmoker.

i like about.com

Edited by EbilDustBunny

Uhhh...yeah...illegal...making things that are bad for people illegal always works...remember prohibition? People do what they want...you should know that by now. They will keep doing it whether it is legal or illegal right? My mother was almost killed by a drunk driver...and that was not b/c it wasn't illegal now was it...?

What we really need to do is make the penalties worse and the law more swift to act in matters like that...

For instance, if you wanna do drugs, fine. But the moment you cross the line and it hurts someone else...you need to be punished.

Anyways.

Ebil, check the newest science. A longterm study done in Great Britain and released last week is the largest ever done on heart disease and alcohol.

They found that moderate consumption everyday did help reduce risks but only in men. WTH...interesting.

Smoking hurts your cardiovascular in several ways, and you are right...narrow blood vessels, atheroschlerosis (hardening or stiffening of arteries), and increase clotting.

Edited by Tek-Almighty

I've smoked everything under the sun short of crack and any other powders that crackheads smoke...

I think I may have started to be "cool" ...but I've never been a serious smoker. I started out buying about a pack a week (was underage at the time so it was hard to get them). I never became a heavy smoker, usually stayed within a pack a week, but since I started working full time I'm smoking more, about 1.5 packs a week.

Smoking is a friend when you're bored. I'm usually smoking because there's nothing else to do for five minutes, or it's an opportunity to socialize. I also don't smoke at home (mostly because it makes my parents sad) so that helps keep me casual. If I'm drinking it's a whole other story...I'll easily smoke a pack to myself during a night of drinking, keeping in mind that I'll go out at 7pm and come home around 5am...

Anyways...smoking isn't a good idea. That being said I'd hate to see tobacco made illegal, but I do think that the cig companies should be cast out! The big tobacco companies are mostly responsible for why smoking is so bad for you (gasp). It's all in the paper. Most of the chemicals that are found in cigarette smoke come from the paper. The paper is made in a very special way and with special ingredients that allows it to burn evenly and slowly (of course the tobacco itself contains added chemicals to preserve it and bring out the flavour), but most of the bad stuff comes from the paper (besides the tar, of course)

So I have to say that rolling your own is the best way to go (well besides smoking sheesha...apple tobacco ftw!) If you are a parent and want to curb your children from smoking I would suggest talking to them about it, and telling them that if they ever want to try it that they come to you. In that situation get them some Drum or other bagged tobacco and make sure to explain to them how addictive packaged cigarettes are and if they really want to smoke to smoke the kind they have to roll themselves. That way they will hopefully not get addicted to premade cigarettes faster than they can realize how pointless they are.

But back to the sheesha...if you don't know what sheesha is, well, theres the link...also known as a hookah, you put flavoured tobacco which comes mixed with dried fruit and either molasses or honey and is burned with a hot coal, gets filtered through water (which removes much of the tar) and ends up in you! Now, it is better for you than a cigarette, but you tend to smoke a lot more shisha in one sitting than you would with one cigarette, so only do it once and a while...

Guest Dude-
Guest Dude-
Guest Dude-
Guests

i met my girlfriend a year and a half ago and she smoked. aside from that nasty habit, to me she was 100% perfect so I expected that one major flaw to drive me nuts. However, now having lived with a smoker and been in a relationship with one...it annoyed me far less then I expected. Aside from a minute after she smoked, I never smelled or tasted any cigarettes. After the first 5 months of our relationship, I also stopped buying or helping her buy cigarettes.

However, I still made sure to always give her crap about it in hopes she would eventually quit. I almost gave up, until recently when she has made a considerable effort to quit. In fact, she is down to about one cigarette on special occasion every couple weeks and doesnt even buy them anymore. I am glad i did not quit my inscesant nagging because she told me herself it was the main reminder, regardless of how annoying it was to her. For her, the longer between each cigarette, the less she wanted one and the less she could handle them.

The city of Toronto just banned all smoking in covered public areas on wednesday...I have been smoke free since wednesday...I need a smoke...

(good work dude-! I'm glad to hear that you helped her quit! now if she would only save all that money she isn't spending on smokes and buy you something nice with it! lol)

Smoking keeps nervous people busy, and temporarily relieves anxiety/depression. I think that's why you see it more often in specific social gatherings.. concerts, parties, etc. Just like drinking, it takes the edge off and can be used for enhancement purposes. But like anything else, it's bad when used in excess. Moderation is key! I smoke a cigar or two a month, and may buy a pack of premium cigs a year and store them for a rainy day.

anonymo. I believe you forgot about the provincial ban on smoking prohibiting smoking in all enclosed workplaces and enclosed public places in Ontario as of May 31, 2006.

They're really cracking down on it.

Forgot? I'm now waiting for the popo to pull over one of our truck drivers for smoking in the work vehicle...it'll happen soon enough...