RAM

FroBoZZ

i ran DAOC "dark age of camelot" with like 512mb of ram... i boosted it up to 2 new sticks of 512, and there was a massive difference in everything...

you will see a boost

Guest ash-
Guest ash-
Guest ash-
Guests
Well, just returned the x1600 pro and ordered a stik of 1 gig 3200 ram from new egg

the ram

hopefully i will get some performance boost from this upgrade from my 2 year old 2 stiks of 512 mb 2700 speed ram.

I have 1GB of 3200 that I mixed with the original compaq 512MB 3200 that came with my PC. The timings on my 1GB stick are actually faster than the compaq modules but I don't notice a difference in FPS with the 1GB stick only. With 1.5GB of ram I can run windows with my swap file disabled. Windows places a file on your hard drive that is used as "virtual memory" for when your physical RAM runs out. Unfortunately, hard drives are many times slower than RAM and also Windows has a bad habit of alternating between the two memories even when your RAM is free! If you have 1GB of RAM or more you can disable the swap file and eliminate audio stuttering and long load times. To do this right click on My Computer, click on properties, click the advanced tab, click settings in the performance box, click the advanced tab, click the change button in the virtual memory box, then click the No paging file and set buttons and reboot.

well your pc3200 would clock back to pc2700 so you'd essentially have added 512mb.

tek, i've assumed this whole time that his mobo is single channel. i'm assuming it's not an nforce board.