$460 video upgrade - thoughts?

Foo

I'm looking at upgrading my display and video card. Right now I'm using an X800 GTO 256MB <AGP> and the display is a 19" 1280x1024 LCD that lied about it's DVI support :/

The proposed upgrade is to a X1300 512MB AGP ($130 after $30 rebate), and a 20.1" 1600x1200 DVI LCD with a 5ms response time. ($330)

I've seen my brother's display of the X1800 on his 8ms 1280x1024 LCD, dvi...

When I saw him play oblivion after editing the config to enable PS 3.0, I was in aw!

The XBOX 360 version was a terrible disappointment after looking at the display my brother had for me to see :P (The 360 even uses the same video chipset, yet it looks worse than Oblivion on this machine!)

yeah, go for the upgrade if u just want eye candy. i may not know the most about vid cards, but the one u want to upgrade to isnt the best one out. if u want to upgrade just for display, its just a waste to me. of course thats just me, all performance, dont really care about looks. i just got a x1600 pro agp and returned it. agp is old, dont try to push it for 1 more year. just ignore this comment if your going for eye candy.

Guest ash-
Guest ash-
Guest ash-
Guests
(edited)

Save your video card money and wait for the next gen DX10 cards for Windows Vista. You won't wanna miss the boat when your brother is playing Crysis and you're not!. Also, a good monitor will last a long time so spend as much as you can on it!

Edited by ash-

I'm looking at upgrading my display and video card. Right now I'm using an X800 GTO 256MB <AGP> and the display is a 19" 1280x1024 LCD that lied about it's DVI support :/

The proposed upgrade is to a X1300 512MB AGP ($130 after $30 rebate), and a 20.1" 1600x1200 DVI LCD with a 5ms response time. ($330)

When I saw him play oblivion after editing the config to enable PS 3.0, I was in aw!

The XBOX 360 version was a terrible disappointment after looking at the display my brother had for me to see :P (The 360 even uses the same video chipset, yet it looks worse than Oblivion on this machine!)

foo, your current video card is much faster than an x1300. you'd be a fool to "upgrade". also, an x1800 fully supports ps3.0 so there should be no config editing necessary...

if your monitor lied about it's dvi support then send it back. though if an lcd is lying to you then you may have bigger issues...

btw, which monitor is this that is 20.1inches and has a 5ms response time?

Foo
(edited)

foo, your current video card is much faster than an x1300. you'd be a fool to "upgrade". also, an x1800 fully supports ps3.0 so there should be no config editing necessary...

if your monitor lied about it's dvi support then send it back. though if an lcd is lying to you then you may have bigger issues...

btw, which monitor is this that is 20.1inches and has a 5ms response time?

The x1800 may, but the game doesn't use ps 3.0 until you manualy edit the config file (oblivion). After doing so, not only did the game look many times better - it also was running with better frame rates :P

It's sad how the x1000 series is severly gimped before the x1800....

The x1800, with applications using ps 3.0, represents a leap forward in graphics... The X1600 and X1300 look pathetic...

The silver version of the LCD:

http://www.samsung.com/Products/Monitor/LC...20BRDBSQXAA.asp

Edited by Foo

agree with most folks...save your $$$ for a coupel of months or so... the X1300's performance is no better than the X800...Check your specs online...I think that model of x1300 has only 4 pixel pipelines vs. the 12 on the GTO...the extra memory will not make up for that.

Edited by Tek-Almighty

dude, that samsung screen is the one i want to get. too bad its a ton of money. definitely the best monitor i have seen out there. of course i am sorta stupid when it comes to this stuff. good choice on monitors

Foo

I was looking at 24" 1920x1200 LCDs, but I don't have the $700 best price. I found a Dell 2405 for $600, but I've seen soo many complaints about that display.

I was looking at 24" 1920x1200 LCDs, but I don't have the $700 best price. I found a Dell 2405 for $600, but I've seen soo many complaints about that display.

really? hardocp seems to love them as do two of my best friends and a couple other acquaintances. if i was playing any game but cs:s then i'd probably be looking to get one. i just can't deal with the response time. 8ms is really high for me.

I've seen really good reviews of that dell 24" I don't know what you are reading, but Hardocp (yep) and Maximum PC have given it RAVE reviews...

Now, I am not sure that if I had $600 laying around that I would spend on a monitor...

You can buy a GeForce 7950 (dual core, 1 GB GPU ya'll) for that...

Hmmm...maybe the $$$ can be spent elsewhere on your rig...mem, proc, mobo etc...?

thing is if you're gonna spend that much on a card then you should spend that much on a monitor otherwise it's wasted. all these ppl wanting sli and crossfire only to use at 1280x1024 really irritate me. just check out hardocp's latest review.

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html...W50aHVzaWFzdA==

notice they only tested on 24 and 30 inch monitors at their native resolutions.