geek needs help

TheGeek

okay, i want to buy a new hard drive and i thought i knew enough about hard drives. well, i dont. i got way behind. SO! here is my motherboard.

the hard drives i see on newegg are "IDE Ultra ATA133" according to my motherboard spec's i can only support "ATA133" so.... can my mobo support the "Ultra"?

AND when i get a new comp (in the future with 64 bit) will i not be able to use the ATA133 hard drive?

OH! I am also buying a monitor today. I am ordering the hard drive and the monitor together and i am ordering it tonight. so any help you guys can give before about 7 or so will be great.

This is the montior i am thinking about.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16824001063

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16824001230

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16824001067

I have been reading all of my reviews at cnet.com. i might check tomshardware.com too.

ONE MORE REQUEST. how do i tell if the monitor has an "auto adjust" feature. I have a friend that has that feature that he can press it and it will adjust everything for him (height, size, everything)

thanks guys

AN35N, great Socket A board. An Ultra ATA133 hard drive will work on your board. There's not much of a difference between those and the standard that I know of except that they transfer data and stuff faster. I think the motherboard doesn't support it so it will run the same as basic ATA133. Something like that. About the monitors, you might want to check out the threads that have been going on about Viewsonic monitors.

(edited)

good buy on the monitor. out of the 3 you gave that was the obvious.

don't buy a hard drive unless you really have to. the ide interface is dead. the new intel nforce chipset doesn't even include ide support. mobo makers have to add their own. if you absolutely have to buy an ide hard drive get one off ebay to hold you over for 6 months til you do a full upgrade and get sata ports.

edit - don't worry about usability. if you have an ide port it'll work. vista will work just fine on an ide hard drive.

also, with those add-on ide ports i mentioned you usually need to use a floppy to install drivers cause windows doesn't have the drivers built in for the non-native ports.

Edited by Cujo

(edited)
Western Digital 250GB - $75

Western Digital 320GB - $100

Looking at others, WD was the best. In your price range, bit cheaper than the others, and great brand. Well those are my recommendations, now for your decision.

I need ATA133 not ATA100. can i use ATA100 if my mobo says that i can only take 133?

thanks cujo! i was going to buy the hard drive until me and discom thought, why not wait for cujo or voodoo to answer? good thing i did wait. i guess i will just order a 120 gb hard drive from newegg or something.

Edited by {GpL}TheGeek998

Western Digital 250GB - $75

Western Digital 320GB - $100

Looking at others, WD was the best. In your price range, bit cheaper than the others, and great brand. Well those are my recommendations, now for your decision.

thanks cujo! i was going to buy the hard drive until me and discom thought, why not wait for cujo or voodoo to answer? good thing i did wait. i guess i will just order a 120 gb hard drive from newegg or something.

Oh, that hurt my feelings. See if I help you anymore. But nah, those drives would work. If you do just wait until a full upgrade but you still need more space, you can just do that, get a smaller drive, and use it with your old one.

maxtor is the only one that ever made ata133 drives. it's a useless spec other than for marketing as hard drives even currently don't come close to the limits of the ata100 bus. sata and sata 2 are useful for the same reasons pci-e is useful. it's all future proofing for when the tech catches up to the interface. that and i like the small sata cables much better then bulky ide cables.

i agree with what cujo says... however you can always keep your computer together as it is (as a second computer) when you "upgrade" you almost always buy new everything anyway right? and end up having an entire other computer for network storage (or for friends who come over) etc