Upgrading Computer

rackish

Well I just got a new job after 6 months and I'll have the money coming in, and I decided I was gonna upgrade my comp. Right now I have: XP home, 1.8 ghz, GF2 MX200, 55 GB, and 512 ddr that's the basic. Anyone have any suggestions of what I should upgrade Radeon or GF4, etc. I would appreicate some opinons especially from Homer :) , thanks.

also URL's with good prices would help too, because I'm an idiot.

Your specs look fine other than the video card. Getting a ATi Radeon 9500 Pro would be a huge step forward.

Check Pricewatch for prices, and order from Newegg. :)

For a review look at Tom's Hardware VGA charts. You could go higher and get a 9700 Pro, but bang for the buck says 9500 Pro.

Also, other than the new nForce2 motherboards, if you are using onboard sound I would upgrade and get a nice sound card if you don't already.

Homer,Feb 21 2003, 01:23 PM]Your specs look fine other than the video card.  Getting a ATi Radeon 9500 Pro would be a huge step forward.

I just upgraded to the 9500 pro from a Geforce4MX440. I might score around 3600 on 3dmark2k3, but in the game theres not much difference. I play battlefield 1942 in 1024x768 and my fps still drops down into the 60's.... Maybe I should do a format....

Guest ZDamage
Guest ZDamage
Guest ZDamage
Guests

2 points that i have to make and they are really important.

First if you are upgrading from one video card to another. Like from a Geforce to a Radeon, you NEED to do a format. Your registry is filled with Nvidia stuff if you are going to a Radeon and your card will run like crap. The same goes when you go from a Radeon to a Geforce card. You need to do a format, plain and simple

Second, i would wait on a vid card until next month. The Radeon 9800 pro is coming out (R350) and it will drive the price of the 9700 pro down. Wait and pick that up instead. The 9700 pro right now has a long life span of over 2 years. The 9800 pro is supposed to be 40% faster than the 9700 pro (or so they say, we will see). So wait a few months and then go from there.

OH yeah, getting a GF4 is stupid. You can get a better card that supports DX9 for cheaper, like the Radeon 9500 pro. The GF4 cards do not.

Guest [DW]Archaic
Guest [DW]Archaic
Guest [DW]Archaic
Guests

yea rack i would format before putting in new vid card. I added my geforce 4 ti 4200 when i still had windows ME and it wasnt that great. When i formated and put on windows 2000 my video performance was alot better, not sure if it was cause of OS difference or just a fresh hd. But i do recommend it.

Guest ZDamage
Guest ZDamage
Guest ZDamage
Guests
Oh yeah thanks for Homer for the GREAT sites, I'll be using them for ALL my computer shopping.  Comp USA sells gf4 ti4800 for $300 and the one I'm buying from newegg.com only cost $200.  :D

dude, the 4800 is nothing more than the 4600 with 8x agp, which does nothing. 8x agp will be nice in the future when the cards can actually use the extra bandwidth and games take advantage of it. The 4800 is the single worst decision ever made by nvidia.

Radeon 9500 pro supports 8x if that is important to you, it is under 200 dollars, and take a look at my AA and AF thread. The 9500 pro is even better than my card at that with little performance hit.

Guest ZDamage
Guest ZDamage
Guest ZDamage
Guests
Explain these marks, I've already told you I'm stupid.  8P)

thx for the compliment. As for the marks... eh?

edit: oh.. nevermind. homers 3dmark2003 remark above. Just go to futuremark.com and download the program. It is a program to test your 3dmark abilities. It isn't real life and it kinda useless in my opinion but does give you a good general idea.

Thanks Rackish!

I think ZD does a great job here, in fact I put him in for a promotion - Tech Guru 1st Class. :D

I learned everything the hard way, by trial and error. I'm really pleased that Magruter is coming along so nicely in the same path that I took. :)

Building or doing upgrades on your PC the first time is a frustrating, exciting experience with great rewards. And it will be frustrating, just take it one step at a time and post up if you need help.

Guest ZDamage
Guest ZDamage
Guest ZDamage
Guests

oh yeah, btw homer. mark2003 requires like a 1-gig cpu to run. So the 800mhz cpu above may not work. I didn't say it wouldn't, just most like would not.

and thx for the props homer. we are a good team actually.

The 'marks' are just a synthetic number generated by a program called 3DMark2003.

I get somewhere in the 1600ish area with my GF4/Ti4600, but if I had a 9500 Pro I'd likely get 3500-4000. The difference in the cards is the hardware with the GF4 was designed with DX8 in mind (the GF4 is getting old by video card standards now). The ATi 9000 and above cards were designed around DX9 and its instruction set. Buying a GF4 is kinda like buying a cabuerated car just as fuel injected cars were introduced.

Edit: oh, you ordered already....... :blink: