Help, Quick Network Fix Needed!

Fatty

Took the agency wireless, but printer is on the network, but not where dsl is. Dad wants no wires. So...

For the time being, I need a fix because when two of the computers are both wired in and on wireless, they get bad lag while browsing. The computers are trying to use the LAN for internet and it's not plugged into the dsl.

I need to tell the computer to use the LAN for printing, and WIRELESS for internet. How can I do this?

I will eventually move the printer so I can plug it right into the wireless router/modem, but for now, is there a way I can specify what goes where?

GC Founder

I believe the lag is coming from the fact that the computer is trying to use the LAN as the internet gateway, and not the wireless.

No, two different routers....actually, dsl router was replaced with one that is wireless.....2wire 2700HG-B is what there is now.

Before: computers and printer were wired in. Now, laptop is obviously wireless and there are wireless cards for the desktops. Printer still has a lan cable, only way to plug it in.....unless I attach it via serial cable and share it (it's a big scanner/fax/printer thing). I guess I could try that.

Anyways, I need to tell the computers to NOT look through the LAN for the internet.

ahh!

i might have fixed it!

i disabled tcp/ip on the LAN

GC Founder

whoops....

seeing as the printer is on it's only little network with these two computers using the LAC, disabling that protocol seems to have killed the printing....eek.

Back to square 3.

GC Founder

I'll do that, cause it definitely won't hurt anything...but there's no lag in the printing.....

Dunno, spending smoe time here today, these guys may just be nuts...seems to work fine once it detects the connection.

PS. Can't do that anyways. This computer I'm on has a shared program on it.....

First try physically disconnecting one of the two computers from the wired network. They might both be bridging it automatically, which creates a cycle in the network (which is bad). The ideal 'quick fix' would be to run a patch cable to turn the network into a tree (i.e. no cycles). You can also buy a wireless adapter intended for this sort of thing, it's basically just an antenna attached to a patch cable that you can hook up to a printer. I don't know offhand how much they cost, and if you plan on not needing it for long it's probably not a good option.

(edited)

your lag is being caused by your machines are getting conflicting addresses. Either they have two or are trying to use older configurations. I could fix it if I was sitting at the machines, as for now, sorry I don't know any step by step how to fix your problem. I just know how to troubleshoot.

ohh I just thought of something good. You have two routers right? wireless? and wired?

If your machines are using the wireless and plugged into the wires, YES both routers are tryiing to assign IPs to those machines. I figured out how to fix your problem..

step 1. disconnect your wireless router(turn OFF) and have 1 machine connected to your wired router. Restart the machine so you get the IP address from the wired router.

Step 2. log into your wired router and turn OFF DHCP(DHCP automatically assigns IP addresses), this will basically turn it into a switch.

step 3. Disconnect all machines from the wired router and restart them and turn on your wireless router. This way you get your IPs from the wireless.

Step 4. Make sure you are connected to your wireless and after that, plug your machine into the wired router(which now acts as a switch and will NOT cause lag)

hmm hope this helps, basically telling you to turn the wired router into a switch so that you will be able to communcate through it without it trying to assign IPs.

Edited by NOFX

GC Founder

ahh, good point. I just tossed it all back there...there was a hub and a router (yes, bad, inefficient, but the other day it was all working at 4:50 at I said, well, not hurting anything).

I just removed the router from the scenario and am only using the little hub now, we'll see...