Question for my Tech Bretheren

Let me set up the situation. This is for work.

We are working in a location inside Cleveland. However, where we are set up there are no phone or cable lines to tie into. My coworker said at some time in the past, he had had a company in Pennsylvania (I can't spell) come out and set up what I can only envision as a repeater of some sort. This enabled him to get wireless internet. Anybody know what companies might provide this service? I realize there is a way to use a cell service and your PCMCIA slot, but with certain contract agreements my company has, they are trying to not go that route.

Anybody have any ideas how to get inet connection to this location?

Thanks in advance.

the repeater thing is true. Thats how the emergency forest-firemen communicate up here in the mountains. They set up repeaters, allowing use of the cell phones and wireless net.

They are doing it right now in the town I work in ( 70,000 acre fire). Some peeps cell phones started working all of a sudden. Although as far as techie stuff, I have no idea. I only know its done.

My question is, who do I talk to if I wanna get this service. I did some searching and found that AllTel has an "air card" which is the PCMCIA version of a cell phone to give you access. I would guess that the "repeater" type set up would give you a much better connection. Anybody have any ideas on who/where to contact/look?

• 3 weeks later...
My question is, who do I talk to if I wanna get this service.

Comcast used to offer this service via wireless T1 (microwave) in my area. I'd start with the phone, cable tv/internet providers and see if they offer a line of site wireless option.