Donovan could use your prayers

I try not to clutter the forums with horrible stories of childhood cancer, but I feel it's more important to ask for help than to worry about offending someone.

I hurt for this little boy. Bad. Please pray for him.

Donovan

• 3 months later...

I'm writing with a heavy heart.

Donovan relapsed again. He'll receive chemo but Kel said they're moving toward pallative care. He'll be lucky to make it to Christmas. I think he's two.

I honestly don't know why we follow other children. It hurts sooo bad to watch them suffer and it scares me so much so that I end up crying for hours. Now that I think about it, I don't follow them anymore. Kel does and she just lets' me know. It ends up with me saying "I don't want to talk about it anymore". Maybe it's God's way of forcing us to appreciate life, but to teach the lesson by taking a child seems harsh.

Take a moment to say "Hello" to God, say a prayer and put things in perspective.

Personally, I'm not worried about my job, my health, petty arguments, FragFest... none of it.

There's a child dying and a mother & father out there that are grieving.

Think about that and prioritize your day today. I don't say that in an egotistical way, but just to spread the message that God tops the list, then family and their health... everything else comes in a distant third.

• 1 month later...

Last night my wife informed me of some bad news regarding Donovan.

She said that the chemo they're using to prolong his life has failed and he probably won't live through this weekend. I thought that was the case a while back but I guess they found a chemo cocktail that helped him survive a while. This weekend I may be playing CS, working on a business plan, racing, playing with my kids, etc and all the while this family is going to endure terrible pain. It makes me feel bad, unworthy...dunno. I can't think of a good term at the moment.

So my first thought was that of most people. Why does a serial rapist or murderer or thief continue to live while an innocent little life is taken? Why should a child suffer? Why can't God take the life of the bad people? Yes, I was angry. Your perspective changes when you see the suffering.

So then I thought, ok, what if God DID take some of the bad people off the face of the Earth? How would He do it and at what point in time would He do it?

I don't know if it's me rationalizing matters so my brain can process the hurt and fear or if it has some validity to it but... even murderers were cute little children in the beginning of their lives, right? What if God is in fact removing a potential evil person from this Earth by taking them when they are young? What if God is taking a bad situation and turning it into a blessing by giving the parents some time with their child and giving them good memories to cherish before bringing that innocent life into Heaven? Isn't that a bass ackward thought????

Now I would never go telling a grieving mother that her child may be a potential child rapist and that the hurt she's enduring is for the best of humanity, but by golly it got me thinking...

I was at a funeral one time for a baby. It was a long time ago but I remember the preacher saying that God may have taken the child to spare the parents further suffering down the road. I thought it to be an odd line of thought.

I have actually had this thought... If God were to take my child before they reached what christians call 'the age of accountability', it would be a blessing if in fact God could look into the future and see my child rejecting Him. As a parent I would much rather suffer the pain of losing my child than to have my child suffer for eternity.

Yep, its a litte odd.

I will pray for Donovon and his family. I only wish there was some way to help but that is only because I under value the worth of prayer. So I will pray knowing it will help the family in this trial.

I would say this was heavy reading but you would be able to call me a liar. I couldn't even make it past looking at the pictures on the top of the website.

It's been said that God will not give a person more than they can handle in their lifetime. As far as this brave young man is concerned, my previous sentence could be interpreted in many different ways. I like the idea that even though the little guy may miss out on the later years of life, he is still witnessing the best. He has the love of his family, love from God and prayers from other people. When it comes down to it, to me anyway, love like that is all that matters in this world. It's what keeps most people going.

I wish I could say more but I really can't think of anything. I don't pray often (very stubborn man) but I definitely sent one up for Donovan.

Donovan passed away over the weekend.

As I know it to be, Donovan is in Heaven being a playful child free of the horrors he has endured. I pray for his parents to find peace in God's loving arms.