Problems with my 1 day old pc...

Playaa

(edited)

mobos for a socket 940 opteron will be server/workstation style boards.

i'd get a x2 3800 as i suggested originally...

btw, i never even thought about the cpu. it should not have fit in the same socket... i'm pretty sure the pin layout is different.

edit - i checked and i actually recommended a 4200+ originally but close enough i guess.

edit 2 - here's a link which confirms what i suspected. it should not have fit or at least not fit correctly.

http://anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2688

basically, if you'd had the arrow lined up correctly (common beginner mistake) then it should not have fit. you probably just rotated it til it fit.

Edited by Cujo

as far as the processor fitting, I just went by the pin layout and it fit absolutely perfect. I didn't even notice an arrow for me to use to line it up.

I'll look into the processors you suggested Cujo, thx.

funny story again. the computer (mostly) works fine right now but my XP Pro install cd is so scratched it won't read...oh the irony.

as for the "mostly" working. When I got all the hardware put in it would boot up then shut down like the power supply didn't work. Then I took out all the parts and put them in one at a time and it eventually worked with all the parts in it. Is a 430 watt power supply enough to run a 160gig SATA drive, a DVD Burner, 2 gigs of pc 6400 ram, a 2.0ghz Dual Core processor, 256mb video card, huge power sink and fan, 120mm fan on the back and 60mm fan on the back?

I was wrong again...it's just not working at all. I can boot it up sometimes, but most of the time it shuts itself down in the middle of a bootup. I got Windows XP installed and sometimes it will get all the way into Windows and I even was browsing the web and installing games...then it just goes and shuts itself down...but the strange thing is that it doesn't just turn off...it actually shows me the "Windows is Shutting Down" screen and then shuts down.

anyone ever seen that? where Windows shuts down on its own but actually goes through the shutdown process rather than just turning off?

this power supply:

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?...N82E16817153023

and yeah, I should probably start a new topic just for the problems my computer is having.

basically I'm down to a couple problems:

1) randomly shuts down

- either doesn't get through the whole bootup (most often does this)

- or it gets into Windows, runs for quite awhile just fine then it goes into the "Windows is Shutting Down" screen and turns off.

2) the drivers that came with my motherboard don't work (they say that my hardware is incompatible with the software) so I have no sound. This one isn't that huge of a deal because it's probably easy to fix.

1. i'm thinking it's the power supply. or possibly you damaged the motherboard when you put the wrong cpu in. or the ram. honestly who knows you have to trouble shoot. this is where it really helps to have friends with similar computers that you can swap parts from.

2. never use the drivers on the cd. get the latest from the appropriate websites.

Edited by Cujo

most likely reason for my computer not working:

- an electrical short in the power button.

I took it to a local Tech shop and they tested all the parts out and said they worked fine so they checked out and replaced the power button and the machine has been running for a good 12 hours.

this just hasn't been the best computer I've ever built...that's for sure.

for future reference always build a comp outside the case if you can't get it working in the case. you can power the computer just buy using a screwdriver to connect the two pins that the case power button connects to.

what case did you get again?

this one, which apart from the power button being screwed up...I'm a huge fan of.

it's big, it's sturdy, it comes with 2 very quiet fans (80mm front, 120mm rear) and has thumb screws and you don't need screws for the hard drive or optical drives.

it is definitely the power button/power button cable that is the problem. I got it back yesterday and it was rebooting until I turned it on and pulled out the cable and it ran fine for half an hour. Rather than ship it back (mainly because I've spent so much extra on this pc already) I just rigged the Reset switch to be my Power button and I have no Reset button.