Windows Installation Help

Demoner

Ok so I got my new computer all together today, I start it up put windows cd in. It starts to configure windows or whatever then asks me to hit enter to begin installing windows. I hit enter nothing happens then hit it again but then I notice a power button on my keyboard thinking my keyboard isn't on so I hit it which turned off my computer, and now everytime I start up my computer it gets to the 2nd screen then reboots itself. Now I am stuck. What do I do?

Edited by Demoner

To change settings in your BIOS there should be a key on the screen somewhere that tells you what to press to change the current settings. In my BIOS I have to use +/-. Are you setting up a RAID array? If so, make sure you have a floppy disk with he required RAID drivers so windows can recognize the RAID chipset.

First off you will need to enable SATA Boot Rom in Bios. Then more than likely you will need to get the SATA drivers from your MOBO manufactuer. If your mobo has VIA chipsets then you can get the SATA drivers from here. www.viaarena.com. You will need to copy the drivers onto a floppy. Via has very good instructions at their site. When you start to install Windoz you will notice when it first starts there is a message at the bottom of the screen Press F6 to load third party drivers. So what you do is have your SATA drivers on the floppy in the drive. Press the F6 key when prompted. The drivers will load and then you are presented with a screen to select the proper drivers for the OS you are installing. Hope this helps, but whatever chipset your board maker uses there should be detailed instructions at their sites. I recently installed an SATA drive for the first time and had to do a little digging through forums and such to figure this all out. Hope this info will cut down on the leg work you gotta do.

Edited by Uncle Fester

wait wait wait...so in order to actually use this new technology called SATA...I have to use an old technology called Floppy Drives?

I don't even HAVE a Floppy Drive on my machine...in fact I don't have one left in my house at all. Also the ONLY Hard Drive in this new computer is SATA. Are you saying I have to depend on an older technology in order to get this to work?

(edited)

you shouldn't need a floppy to just install on a plain sata drive. only for raid. a regular sata drive should be recognized just fine by windows boot disk.

demon's problem is cause he is installing on a raid array. (based on our talk on recrud last night)

Edited by Cujo

wait wait wait...so in order to actually use this new technology called SATA...I have to use an old technology called Floppy Drives?

I don't even HAVE a Floppy Drive on my machine...in fact I don't have one left in my house at all. Also the ONLY Hard Drive in this new computer is SATA. Are you saying I have to depend on an older technology in order to get this to work?

Only if your are setting up a RAID array...if its just a single disk then no, you don't need to worry about a floppy drive.

I only installed a single drive but had to follow the procedure I described above. Hopefully though the other suggestions are correct and your mobo chipset will not require drivers for Windows to see the drive during install. I do know that when you start the install and you get a message that Windows did not locate a drive then most likely you are going to have to have a floppy. I understand your frustration, why should you need an floppy to install a new SATA drive but keep in mind when XP came out floppy drives were still very much in fasion.

Edited by Uncle Fester

I forgot to post that I got help from a guy in my hall now my issues are updating windows and getting an internet connection setup.

I think you may have to reinstall windows :biglaugha: j/k

lol got my internet connection working now. Everything is just running really slow for some reason. But I still have yet to update everything so thats probably it.

Ok my new computer now boots up windows only thing is that when I try to upgrade my video card for example I run the cd but it takes a few minutes before anything appears on my screen. I finally got it to start installing the drivers for my video card when it freezes in the installation process. Oh I also tried to upgrade windows before installing my video card drivers but then it gave me an error saying ___(will fill in once I try to run it again). Could my computer being only running on a certain portion of the processor or something or something not fully enabled? What might be causing it to be running like a pentium III?