Advertising in CS

Leveller

I just read the following:

BBC News

and was curious of other people's thoughts. I understand Valve's desire to generate increased revenue, but haven't seen this in any other games and wondered if other people had, and whether it became obtrusive?

It seemed non specific whether it was CS:S, CS:CZ or CS.

I know there have been individual deals between server providers and advertisers before, but not sure how a direct link between the game's distributor/developer and an advertiser will impact our playing experience.

P.S. Sorry if this is a duplicate or "old" news.

Edited by Leveller

Here's what I know and have seen:

Two things bug me about this. The first thing is that Valve got angry at the IGA months ago because servers were running a mod that allowed Subway ads to be plastered on the sides of maps. Now Valve is turning around and working with the IGA to put their own ads in the game. The second thing that bugs me is that Valve doesn't even pay for any Counter-Strike servers. They are essentially getting more money for doing nothing while the people who are paying hundreds of dollars a month for servers will have ads all over the place. Not only do they have to deal with getting people to play on their servers in the first place, which is tough for a game like Counter-Strike that has so many servers out there, now they have to get people to play on their servers full of ads.

Battlefield 2142 uses the same ad system. I haven't played it but I have seen screen shots. I don't know why Intel would have ads 130 years from now in a war torn world where everyone is striving to survive. For some games the ads make sense, like Need for Speed Most Wanted has Burger King and Auto zone ads all over the place. Some times what ever ad junky added the ads has gone beyond overboard, like in SWAT 4. No one is going to have 30 posters for the free NAVY game "Strike and Retrieve" or Gamefly.

Here's a small editorial about the SWAT 4 ads (I didn't read it, I looked at the pictures): http://www.simhq.com/_land/land_023a.html

I imagine Valve won't go that overboard though.

IGA was the reason I didn't buy Battlefield 2142, so I'm more than a little miffed.

Despite what that interview said, IGA is involved in several lawsuits for illegally soliciting information from people's computers. Well, at leas they were when I was reading about them when I was thinking about buying Battlefield 2142.

What I fear most is VALVE turning into EA. EA mistreats their employees, consistently launches games before they're ready (resulting in glitchy play), uses shady business practices to snatch up (and usually completely ruin) smaller developers, and the list goes on and on.

This seems to me as the first step toward them becoming another EA. I'd hate to have to seek out another game to play.

Also...how are they going to work out the ads in custom maps? I mean...if the adds annoy people, I think we'll see a huge spike in the custom maps that will be advertisement free.

• 5 weeks later...

It'll suck when they start streaming commercials inbetween maps and on television models :(

So... does this just effect VALVe servers or what about privately owned servers? 'cause I do not think they can do that on private servers.

sometimes i feel you all don't see my humor in things its ok I was laughing I thought the burma shave jingos fit right in they were the first to advertise anything btw

Aw W8t, don't be sad. I thought it was funny.

There, happy now? heh :)

Shaftiel