M2 is on 360 now! add me! + newbie questions

akaM2

Add me to your buddy list, my gamertag is "ehmtoo"

what other games should I get?

I have Gears of War, Madden 07, and Need for Speed Most Wanted(came in the system)

Does the HD DVD player sit ontop of the xbox 360 if you get it? does this help the games at all or only movies?

Game recommendations? I'm def. picking up vegas.

You should get Gears of War, Its crazy. I only played it for like 30 mins, havent cracked open madden 07 yet. But I always like sports games.

Im thinking COD 3 and prolly Vegas too.

go to www.gametrailers.com and search for the games and watch gameplay videos, thats all im doing at work tonight.

Also you get 1 free month of xbox live gold so you can set that up and download tons of demos so you can play them and see if you like the feel of it before you buy it.

--------------------------------------------------------------

is it better to play the games in 1080i or 720p? ??????

GoW, vegas, CoD3 are all awesome games, must-buys in my opinion. (I have them all)

If you like sports games, I highly recommend NHL 07. I know it's an EA game (some folks wont buy from EA), but the "skill stick" is by far one of the best additions to a sports game that I've seen in a looooooong time, and the physics system is very good as well. Even if you're not a huge hockey fan, its very fun and addicting working on scoring like the pros instead of relying on cheap one-timers for every goal :D

There is about a 10 game learning curve to get used to the new controls, but if you can get over the hump, the gameplay is very satisfying

Edited by boilersax

DOOD! I'm here! I'm here!

My recommended games (that you don't already have):

CoD3 - Just got it today, and it rocks. The MP is awesome, and is a nice change of pace from...

RS:Vegas - Realism is awesome, SP is awesome, controls are tight! Slower than CoD3, but it is dope.

As for the resolution question, I read somewhere that most of the games run better at 720p, and that GoW specifically is a "720p game." I don't have a choice, cuz my TV only displays in 720p. It accepts a 1080i signal, but then downconverts it to 720p, so I just run my 360 in 720p. Conversion = loss (I learned that from Mo!).

As for the HD-DVD player, it only benefits movies, not games. I don't know of any plans in the future by Microsoft to try to use it for games, but right now it's just movies. If your TV can display movies in 1080p or 1080i, it is awesome. I have never seen a clearer picture. For movies I will set it to 1080i and let the TV downconvert, because even at 720p they are much clearer than regular DVDs.

The question is: Do you want to spend the money on a format that might not prevail? The movie library is still small, and who knows what will happen with the "format battle." However, for $200 you can get a HD-DVD player, and with 1080p now supported by the 360, you can't find an "next generation" HD player (Blu-Ray or HD-DVD) with these capabilities for even close to that cost.

One of the features that is pretty cool is that a lot of the HD-DVD movies contain both the HD and regular DVD verisons of the movie, so it can be played in both an HD-DVD or a DVD player. SO, you can still play them in a portable player or laptop if you are traveling.

I can't really recommend buying it, nor can I recommend not buying it. It comes down to whether or not you...

1) have the equipment (TV, etc.) to support the high def format, and...

2) accept the risk of possibly owning a machine that won't have much of a library if it loses.

I don't regret buying it. THE PICTURE IS AMAZING. For $200 I'm in on the new HD format war. The features of the new disks are cool (PIP for stuff, menu accessible while the movie plays, and more), and, well, THE PICTURE IS AMAZING.

I would suggest checking reviews of the disks before you buy. And, you can rent them from Netfilx, which is cool.

:peace:

Edited by whudats

• 2 weeks later...
viva pinatas!

Viva pinata is a surprisingly addictive game. My wife and I sit on the couch after we put Liz to bed and figure out how to make a kick butt garden. It's a good deal of fun.

The odd thing with the game is that you have to feed some of your cute little pinatas to other pinatas. My wife loves the whirms and really doesn't like feeding them to the birds. . . .

CoD3 is fantastic MP. I found the SP to be a bit repetative (though I did just play through CoD1, CoD: UO, and CoD2 for the PC on SP, so I may be a bit burned out)

I'll be sending friend requests when I get home tonight. I'd definately like to play some 360 with youall.