Couple questions

Playaa

2 things right now.

1) Each and every time I boot up my computer, it goes through the disk checkup thing. It says "press any key on the keyboard to skip" but won't recognize a single keypress. The keyboard works before this (because I can get into bios) and after but not during. It basically triples my bootup time. It never finds anything wrong but always does it.

2) When I hook my iPod up through a USB port Windows tells me that "this device could perform faster if you use a USB 2.0 port". The problem with that is that my case/motherboard IS USB 2.0 and I'm updated to Windows XP SP2. This is an annoying problem because transferring files to and from my iPod takes FOREVER. No other device says this warning when I hook it up either.

thoughts?

sounds like you've had the bios reset on you. check and make sure you have legacy usb support for the keyboard enabled. also, check to make sure your usb is set to hi speed (not full speed).

any power outages recently? are you using a power bar? not sure why the disk check is happening but it could be another setting that has changed in bios.

• 3 weeks later...
sounds like you've had the bios reset on you. check and make sure you have legacy usb support for the keyboard enabled. also, check to make sure your usb is set to hi speed (not full speed).

any power outages recently? are you using a power bar? not sure why the disk check is happening but it could be another setting that has changed in bios.

Using a USB 2.0 approved cable? Drivers?

couldn't find a single thing in my bios about USB at all...nor about the keyboard settings.

in the end I just don't really care since I don't even have this pc hooked up to the internet...its only use right now is as a gaming machine and it works fine for that. Eventually I'm just going to reinstall the entire thing from scratch because it has some issues with the way I installed windows (somehow I ended up with Windows installed on my D: drive and my C: drive is not my primary...it's odd)

Sounds like multiple issues happening at the same time.

#1. Hard Drive may be doing bad. A good SpinRite test at level 4 will fix this I imagine or give you enough time to replace hard drives. I use a multipurpose boot cd called "Hiren's." It is at 8.8 now and this MIGHT be a download link for you: http://www.9down.com/downloads.php?fileid=446

#2. The Hard Drive problem has most likely corrupted some of your drivers. Go into you device manager (right click my computer, go to properties, go to Hardware tab, click on Device Manager). At the bottom, you will see the USB area. How I've fixed this is remove the USB drivers (the main hub) and rebooted. Do this with your ipod disconnected.

Update your chipset drivers.

Then go into command prompt, from there type this: "chkdsk c:" (or what ever your drive is) This does a complete disc check.

I had the check disc problem before. And this fixed it for me. (well, it told me i have errors. and stoped asking)

And your chipset drivers should have USB drivers built into them. Plus, its never a bad thing to update.