Who used to play X-com?

[LaW]Maverick

Ok, so recently I've been been playing X-Com: UFO Defense again...it was one of the greatest games ever made...if you haven't played it, go find it here.

The game is incredible, and I was just wondering who else used to, or still does, play it.

Also, I found this really cool site that is making a more modern version of the game (basically), and now I'm psyched!!!!

Note:

On Abandonia, you can find a ton of really cool old DOS games. You can ALSO find X-Com: Terror From the Deep (the sequal) and X-Com: Apocalypse. X-Com: UFO Defense is on the website as UFO: Enemey Unknown if you're looking for it, and it's in the strategy section. 100% free! :boing::boing:

Maverick' date='Jan 30 2007, 02:24 PM' post='388553']

Ok, so recently I've been been playing X-Com: UFO Defense again...it was one of the greatest games ever made...if you haven't played it, go find it here.

The game is incredible, and I was just wondering who else used to, or still does, play it.

Also, I found this really cool site that is making a more modern version of the game (basically), and now I'm psyched!!!!

Note:

On Abandonia, you can find a ton of really cool old DOS games. You can ALSO find X-Com: Terror From the Deep (the sequal) and X-Com: Apocalypse. X-Com: UFO Defense is on the website as UFO: Enemey Unknown if you're looking for it, and it's in the strategy section. 100% free! :boing::boing:

I use to play that game all the time! Flying around the world to combat those pesky invaders! Building bases, funding bases, expanding the bases, buying jets and funding research. Really great game.

Now I'll have to play it again.

I think I hate you Mav.

Shaftiel

Too funny!! I just started playing Xcom Apocalypse a few weeks ago for the first time in years, and yesterday I downloaded UFO defense. I haven't started UFO defense yet, but apocalypse is just as much fun as it was back in the day.

Hahaha...yeah, I can't stop playing the freaking game now...

I just got Heavy Plasma weapons and I'm 'bout to be able to build Firestorms....

It's just getting interesting.. :D

I've decided that I'm going to play them all in order (again), and so far I'm doing really well in UFO Defense. I should have that beat in a week or so, then I move on to Terror from the Deep. I forgot the joy that these games bring...and the addiction :boing:

Maverick' date='Feb 1 2007, 10:39 AM' post='388718']

One of the greatest games of its time.

I agree...except, I would go as far to say it is one of the greatest games of all time, as I still can't stop playing it though the graphics look like someone puked on the screen with my high-res laptop (1920 x 1600) :biglaugha:

I guess I can get behind that, seeing as it is one of the few games that I regularly dust off (probably once a year or so). I transferred all my old games from floppy recently to one CD to avoid the floppy-disk issues that once plagued installations (for instance, finding a floppy drive), a move which was prompted by my desire to play X-Com. Apocalypse was good, too, though nothing is quite like the original X-Com.

I also have a high-res laptop, and that open-source variant you (?) linked earlier looked really interesting...

(edited)

lol, that website takes me for a trip down memory lane and my apple IIgs goodness! I just downloaded dosbox along with Wings of Fury (to this day, one of my favorite games of all time! I haven't played it in YEARS!!) and Gold Rush (a throwback to my gradeschool (1st - 3rd) years :D

funny how even though I love fancy graphics and smokin fast computers, I still am addicted to those old clunkers :boing:

I found my discs for the "space quest collectors edition" (SQ1-5) plus my copy of SQ6 and played through all 6 twice. I LOVED those games!!

Edited by boilersax