Friend's pc problems

dragonfly

I have a friend who has troubles with their pc. Here's the dealio

They couldnt start into windows, so i walked them through how to reinstall widows... no go for some reason. They said it'd just go to sleep or whatever. So I am at their house now...

I tried to go into windows and it'd go part way in and freeze (on the loading screen). So then sometimes also the monitor would shut off, like it was on power off or something. I tried a second monitor, same deal. I also tried a different agp card, same deal.

I went to reinstall windows, and was most of the way through it, when I got an error:

"cannot copy file migregdb.ex_ "

So i hit retry, no go. I then hit skip, just incase, and froze there.

During the windows installation, it would sometimes shut the screen off again. This makes me think it's PSU not giving enough power to the motherboard, or maybe motherboard problems? I have a spare PSU lying around, and I guess I could try that. At the moment I'm trying to install a different copy of windows, just to eliminate all the extra variables.

Any help would be appreciated.

oh yeah:

-Seagate Barracuda, 40gig

-512 ram

-some intel cpu

-XP excellent switching PSU

-LG 52xcd rom

Edit: every so often when the windows loading bar is scrolling, it'll stop for a good 5 seconds

Edited by DarkArchon

Update:

I tried different ram tonight, and a different psu. I actually got into windows and it froze every time :(

They're on a SUPER tight budget (young married couple) so I told them to look for a board that's socket 478 so that they can use their current cpu. I told them to also buy a new psu. If the problem persists, then get a HDD too, but the mobo may have been the problem. Anyway, that's where it stands.

Cujo: any recommended boards with that socket on ncix?

Here's what I'm looking at:

mobo

PSU