New Monitor causes CS to crash

k-wix

Yea.. so i upgraded to a 22 inch Viewsonic Widescreen - its absolutely gorgeous, however.. when i try to load up CS it immediately crashes to the desktop with no errors or anything, the game just doesnt even pop up with the title screen, im not sure what exactly is causing the problem - every other game loads no problem. (Steam games and non-steam games alike) .. It seems that this one specifically is giving me trouble. Unfortunately its my favorite game - can anyone out there help me solve this issue? The monitor is: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16824116060

I assume you got it working? I had a similar problem a while ago...CS would crash (give me the HL2 error) but every other game worked fine. I ended up having to get this script that fixes some problem with the ATI drivers...and I have to use it everytime I restart my computer to get CSS to work...

I can send you the .bat file if you need it...no clue where I found it now but it's a life saver every time

(edited)

Maybe your video card can't handle the default monitor resolution. Try lowering it. Then again it you might need drivers for the monitor too.

Edited by Tracid

Figured it out, yes. The monitor is widescreen and has a native resolution of 1680x1050. My old Resolution for CS was 1600x1200. This is what was causing the crash

I looked up startup paramaters and put in a custom height and width and it booted up NP

Btw, this is probably the most beautiful monitor i've ever seen. CS looks like a DREAM.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16824116059

Figured it out, yes. The monitor is widescreen and has a native resolution of 1680x1050. My old Resolution for CS was 1600x1200. This is what was causing the crash

I looked up startup paramaters and put in a custom height and width and it booted up NP

Btw, this is probably the most beautiful monitor i've ever seen. CS looks like a DREAM.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16824116059

I've been stopping myself from buying one cause I'm holding out for the next generation of LCDs with at least 1920x1200 resolution...it's been hard...I've passed up some pretty good deals on 1680x1050 monitors...I think I'll be waiting for a while (30"ers are still $1200-$2000 USD :( )

(edited)

if I can will the Dell 24" ultrasharp to drop a little closer to $500, then I will snatch it up right quick.

$550 for a refurb.... not bad but still not low enough

Amazes me that my 17" laptop screen can display 1920x1200, but I have to get a regular LCD monitor 24" or bigger for the same resolution

Edited by boilersax

if I can will the Dell 24" ultrasharp to drop a little closer to $500, then I will snatch it up right quick.

$550 for a refurb.... not bad but still not low enough

Amazes me that my 17" laptop screen can display 1920x1200, but I have to get a regular LCD monitor 24" or bigger for the same resolution

I know...I was contemplating "operating" on a laptop and building my own screen when I realized I was an idiot.