Screen shake

MaDPaT

I finally broke down and bought a new monitor. It is a widescreen Gateway FOD2485W.

Picture is much better than my old 19 in 4:3 and gives me more room. Also much faster 38 ms to 6 ms.

USB hub does not seem to work. Do not care.

I notice a few problems when gaming. When I power nodes the whole landscape vibrates or shakes. It is not major but distracting. I wonder if this is due to stretching to fit widescreen? I would continue to play is 4:3 mode on widescreen if I knew setting in UT2004 to allow this.

Still playing with settings. THIS THING IS HUGE

24"? It always shakes in teh view (I think its an ingame setting you have to disable - weapon shake view or something). I play in 1920x1200, and it's just right there in UT. Pretty sure you can force resolution with your .ini file. I now LOVE playing games in widescreen, and absolutely hate it stretched. I think it's 10:whatever that is the ratio.

Edited by DarkArchon

What dark said. You can set the true 1900xWhatever res in the ini file but not in the in-game menu if I reall correctly.

Our little server image logo *will* be stretched out but otherwise, everything should be gravy.

The usb hub: Kinda dumb, but have to ask - is it plugged in? On our (Dark, me) Dell 24" monitors, we have usb ports in various places, however, you still have to link those ports to the main computer and that doesn't happen over the video cable. Look for a place to jack in the other end of a usb cable - one that would take a much more square end - that would be the usb hub out - then stick the other end into an open usb slot on your comp and XP/vista will detect a few new USB ports.

ab%20usb.jpg

-Fk

What Flitter said too! :)

I had the option of going to 1920x1200 in UT, but not in FEAR XP, so I had to set that in the cfg file. As for usb ports on the monitor, it's pretty much just an adapter for an extension that they put into the monitor frame. Crazy how much that extra feature costs you. Flitter, you sure it doenst send the usb signal through the dvi cable??? ^_^:rolly:

yeah, I cant think of how it is even possible, since the dvi (or vga, or s-vid, etc) port definitely doestn send a usb signal.

I did the usb connector to monitor. Does have a square end. Tried mulitple usb connectors on my computer to monitor. Even tried new cable connector form my scanner and still did not work. Think I have to return it to be safe. Do not really care but will eat at me over time. Pain to box it again. I am still looking into resolution options. Says there is a gaming mode for monitor. Still looking to see how to activate it.

Thanks for support. Will look into resolution in ini file as mentioned above.

yeah, I cant think of how it is even possible, since the dvi (or vga, or s-vid, etc) port definitely doestn send a usb signal.

I did the usb connector to monitor. Does have a square end. Tried mulitple usb connectors on my computer to monitor. Even tried new cable connector form my scanner and still did not work. Think I have to return it to be safe. Do not really care but will eat at me over time. Pain to box it again. I am still looking into resolution options. Says there is a gaming mode for monitor. Still looking to see how to activate it.

Thanks for support. Will look into resolution in ini file as mentioned above.

The whole screen shakes/vibrates as I fire weapons now. The shake/vibrate last as long as firing weapon. Think I have to send it back.

I always leave mine in desktop mode. What about you flitter?

Had to return it. Shake was getting worse and usb not working. Tech guy at BestBuy thought is was problem with card in monitor. Looking into other monitors. Samsung has a 19 in lcd with a 3000;1 contrast and a response time of 2 ms. Hmmmmm.

Doesnt viewsonic make good monitors?

I got a samsung synchmaster 226 bw 22". Downloaded drives and full install and same problem. Screen shakes while firing hand weapons. No notice shake while driving or using vehicle weapons. I loaded drivers and cant figure out the problem.

(edited)

I bought the Hanns-G 19'' and I love this thing. The colors with this monitor surpassed all the other ones but sony in clarity and vividness. At a mere $180 dollars you can't go worng. Isn't the ground shake also a server side thing as well as client side. I thought GC servers had that turned off.

Edited by Primus

I bought the Hanns-G 19'' and I love this thing. The colors with this monitor surpassed all the other ones but sony in clarity and vividness. At a mere $180 dollars you can't go worng. Isn't the ground shake also a server side thing as well as client side. I thought GC servers had that turned off.

I have heard of ground shake but that applies to jumping off vehicle and getting hit with weapons that would simulate earthquake action to character. This involves firing weapons only. It is not shake from weapon fire but rather entire screen flicker left and right while firing. I am uninstalling ut204 and reinstall to see if this helps

Thanks for input

MaDPaT

NVidea was of no help. All they want to do in install driver which does nothing. Think it is a UT2004 problem and need a patch of some kind. I think it is UT problem or graphics card defect. Graphics card is fine during online matches and shakes only in single. While shaking the graphics are a whole lot more detailed than online. Fire the tank round and see a concussion explosion and phosphorus fall around hit area.

On the plus side, it seems going from 38 ms to 2 ms a definite improvement. Never got so many hits with hellbender dual cannon ever. Also so seemed to be hitting manta with shocker more straight on. Before, hits to mantas were always glancing blows. Not centered enough to push manta back like Dark, Bush, and other GC fanatics do to me when I in manta.

Screen is very nice. Need to see if it has a tilt feature to adjust viewing angle and further review of features.