A couple of links on Rates and registration

ZeroDamage

The first one has some good information and confirms that your cmdrate can only be as high as your fps.

Actually.... I can not use that link. It seems a member of that clan has an inappropriate avatar. I will copy and paste the info and provide a link just for the sake of providing my source.

http://www.fishtankclan.com/e107_plugins/c....php?content.44

84970284xl6.jpg

84980678ig1.jpg

85946573qm4.jpg

The other link is here: http://www.linkinbox.com/guides/resolving_...e_source_server

Please feel free to correct any of this here since I am just going by what I see other's posting.

Here is another link with some explanations on the registration problems. http://www.counter-strike-dl.com/css-reg-problems.html

So, I should adjust them based on the map? Like, if I'm getting 25 frames per second in some laggy map, then I should adjust my cmdrate down to 25? Do you put it at about the average, or at the max. So, most maps my fps doesn't go over 50, and its usually down at 35-40. Should I set cmdrate at 40 then?

With that 3/4 thing I suppose I should just write down a few numbers so I can change them on the fly. Doh. Now heres the odd thing. Turning the netgraph on will show you the info that you can use to tune your connection. Why oh why then don't the CS developers just use that information internally to tune it. Why make me do it?

you shouldn't have to adjust them for maps. set your fps_max to your average fps (35-40):

fps_max 35

your cl_updaterate and cl_cmdrate are unique for you. default cl_cmdrate is 30, default cl_updaterate is 20. set them at that, and then start bumping them up together by 5 or 10:

cl_updaterate 20

cl_cmdrate 30

then

cl_updaterate 30

cl_cmdrate 40

etc. do that until your choke starts to rise above 0 in firefights. then go back to your last setting. here's a cfg you can use too to help with fps. if you use it, write-protect your config.cfg.

autoexec.cfg

So, I should adjust them based on the map? Like, if I'm getting 25 frames per second in some laggy map, then I should adjust my cmdrate down to 25? Do you put it at about the average, or at the max. So, most maps my fps doesn't go over 50, and its usually down at 35-40. Should I set cmdrate at 40 then?

You shouldn't need to adjust your cl_cmdrate at all unless you have a weak upstream. The actual number of updates you send the server will not exceed (1) your framerate, (2) your cl_cmdrate, and (3) the server's tickrate. cl_updaterate is where your choke is going to come from typically; the updates that the server sends you (location and trajectory of players, flying objects, blood splatters, bullet holes, other decals, etc.) are much more complex than the updates you send the server (which way you're facing, how fast you're moving, are you shooting, etc.).

You shouldn't need to adjust your cl_cmdrate at all unless you have a weak upstream.

erm, careful on that one mookster.

A large diff in the two qualifies as "rate hacking"...greater than a 50 diff was it? I think we actually have it locked last I looked so that if he increases updaterate mroe than 35 above cmdrate, the server will automatically bring his cmdrate in line.

You shouldn't need to adjust your cl_cmdrate at all unless you have a weak upstream.

erm, careful on that one mookster.

A large diff in the two qualifies as "rate hacking"...greater than a 50 diff was it? I think we actually have it locked last I looked so that if he increases updaterate mroe than 35 above cmdrate, the server will automatically bring his cmdrate in line.

Yes but he or anyone should be able to set it and forget it at 100 unless their ISP has a hard cap on their upstream bandwidth.