Forza 2

anonymo

Heads up racer fans! Forza 2 demo is out on XBL and she's a beaut! I ran out and bought the MS racing wheel last night just for this game and I am not dissapointed in the least! It was a blast...the force feedback is amazing. I've played games like Flat-Out2 and Race with the G25 wheel from Logitech and considering the MS wheel is half the price it's amazing.

I just have to remember I'm not playing Forza on my way to and from work :freak:

Downloaded the demo and played a bit last night, not sure if it was just the 360 controller, but I really didn't get a sense of "engagement" from the game at all. Felt all too detached and game like, but I did love being able to drive an Imola red E36 M3, made a nice flashback to my car I got rid of when I left the UK. :(

You have a 360?

I've had one since November. Remember the Amazon Cheap 360 Crisis of Black Friday?

Ohhhh yaaaaaa.....what's your GT...do I have you in my list?

Lev...what? I don't understand what you didn't like...too much physics? Too difficult? It (at least the first one) takes lots of getting used to before you're shredding those valuable seconds off your times...

Racing class FTW!

I was completely hooked on Gran Turismo (3 & 4) on my PS2, and was deeply saddened that I had to leave the series behind when I got my 360... Hopefully Forza 2 will fill the void! I bought PGR2 when I got my system, and I never really got into it. I needs a better racing/driving sim!

(edited)
Lev...what? I don't understand what you didn't like...too much physics? Too difficult? It (at least the first one) takes lots of getting used to before you're shredding those valuable seconds off your times...

I guess having raced go-karts as a kid and done a lot of track days with my M3 in the UK my expectations of a "simulation" may be a bit high.

In hindsight yes, I liked it as a game, but I guess where my issue lies, is that it still feels too arcadey, you can jump from a 350Z to a TVR Sagaris then on to a Corvette GT racer and feel not much difference other than stuff coming at you a bit faster.

It's well done, don't get me wrong, but with all the aids turned off etc. it still feels too much like I'm just pointing something around a track and little else to really engage me as a driving "simulator".

As said in my previous post this could just be a result of using my 360 controller not a wheel, and I'm happy to accept that reasoning since it's not exactly a fair way to review a driving game (but I find it difficult to believe there is that great a quantum leap in driving dynamics just by using a MS racing wheel).

I do like arcade style racers, PGR3 and TDU are both good games, but they don't try to be "racing simulators" or at least don't give that impression.

Then again, if you want to feel like you're racing a car, you won't get the sensation anywhere but being actually in a car so it does need to be put in perspective.

Just as an afterthought, I did love the GT games on the PS2, and they provided a really great/rounded gaming/driving experience.

Edited by Leveller

• 3 weeks later...

I pre-ordered it from Amazon in March. It should have been here last week but somehow they messed up the release date and thought it was June 18th. They realized their mistake I guess and started shipping them out, of course with my luck they realized it too late so I had to wait until THIS week to get it. It should be here today but I am still waiting on UPS...

sounds like I ought to get it then. Think I'll go pick it up in a day or so.

Good call! Best racing sim so far on the Xbox, although the competition is a little thin.

There are lots of improvements other than graphics over the previous version, most notably the physics engine (not sure if Forza 1 even had a physics engine but I don't remember it feeling this good).

This game is awesome with the racing wheel! I just need to build some kind of racing seat because I just get too sore from playing with it from either my couch or at my computer desk.

I'll look out for you voodoo...still haven't touched the online yet...

(edited)

Ok, I'm convinced on the feedback, when I finally get settled in Dallas (currently in Cinci with 5 people packing our goods before our final move), I'll be getting this............ and the MS racing wheel.

Get ready to see me online.

Edited by Leveller

Anonymo, I haven't touched the online yet either because I am waiting too play with someone I know. I've heard scary stories on their official forums about all the people driving backwards and people in last smashing people who are in first. I don't want my first online experience to be tainted by that.

I'll probably be on tonight, my Live name is SparkyCarton.

My local stores are sold out :(

Oh well, not like I'd have time right now to play anyway, I'm moving to a new house and all my crap is packed up in boxes. Hopefully they get a new shipment in next week :peace:

(edited)

Not 2 hours after I posted with my "they're all sold out" declaration, bestbuy.com showed them in stock in all of the local stores, so I gots me a copy :D

I only had enough time for about 6 races before I had to pack everything up and move though. No idea when I'll be able to sift through my piles of boxes and unwrap the 360 again :(

Oh, and Mo, stop beating the crap out of your cars. Race more politely :peace:

Edited by boilersax

I wonder if it's possible to run a race but have so many penalties for damage that you actually get money TAKEN from you :biglaugha:

Check on this for us Mo and report back plz

It might be possible in the early races where you don't win many credits. It would still be tough to get so many penalties and still finish the race in the top 3 with your car intact. (I've never gone so far as to completely destroy my car and still finish the race, however I certainly have totaled a car before)